«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»
Nina and William G. Booker House412 South Chapman Streetca. 1940Contributing Building
The one-and-a-half story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Cape Cod with a symmetrical façade includes a projecting front gable sheathed in synthetic siding and supported by decorative metal posts and plain wood pilasters; it shelters a paneled wood door with two upper lights. Metal railings border the concrete steps and continue to the small brick porch. Windows are eight-over-eight with header-course sills, while a pair of front-gable dormers sheathed in synthetic siding holds six-over-six windows. A brick chimney with paved shoulders occupies the north gable end forward of the roof ridge. The Bookers bought the parcel in June 1940 and likely built the house soon thereafter. He was a department manager for Master Service Station. The Booker family owned the house until 1978.
Garage 412 South Chapman Street ca. 1940 Contributing Building
Frida and Abraham Kriegsman House 413 South Chapman Street ca. 1940 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, concrete block Cape Cod dwelling includes a frontgabled portico supported by wood posts graced wood scrolling; the portico shelters a paneled wood door and a raised concrete stoop. A dentil cornice extends along each elevation. Windows are six-over-six, except on the aluminum-sided, one-story, partial-width, side-gabled wing at the south elevation where windows are awning-style with two horizontal lights. A pair of two front-gabled dormers rests on the front roof slope, while louvered vents crown the side elevations of the main block. A hip-roofed ell and shed dormer are located on the rear elevation. The Kriegsmans, owners of Kriegsman Furriers, bought the parcel in January 1940 and likely built the house soon thereafter. The family owned it until 1967.
Elizabeth and James L. Murray House414 South Chapman Streetca. 1940Contributing Building
The one story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick dwelling with a symmetrical façade includes a porch with a projecting front gable sheathed in synthetic siding and supported by plain wood posts and pilasters; it shelters a paneled wood door with multiple divided lights on its upper half. Plain pilasters and an entablature with dentils frame the door. Concrete steps lead to a brick stoop. Windows are eight-overeight and six-over-six with soldier-course lintels and header-course sills. The house is similar to 412 South Chapman Street. A center, interior brick chimney rises from the roof just forward of the ridge.
Gable ends are sheathed in synthetic siding. A gabled ell extends from the rear. The house first appears in the city directory in 1941, but it was a rental property for the first few years after it was built. In 1944, the Murrays bought it and are listed at this address in the 1946 city directory. He worked at Petroleum Equipment Company. The family owned the house until 1984.
Garage 414 South Chapman Street ca. 1940 Contributing Building
North Elam Avenue Paula and Karl Cahn House 200 North Elam Avenue ca. 1949 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick house includes a southwest corner inset porch supported by wood posts. The porch, which is screened, shelters a paneled wood door. Windows throughout are sixover-six and eight-over-eight replacements. A rear wing extends to the east and includes a paneled wood and multi-light door on its south elevation and a brick chimney straddling its roof ridge. An additional door is located on the rear (east) end of the rear ell. The 1949 city directory indicates that Mr. Cahn worked at Ham’s Sundry Store.
Ruth and Karol Andreve House201 North Elam Avenueca. 1956Contributing Building
The one-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick house displays a center block that is slightly taller than the remainder of the house; the rear roof slope for this center section extends only halfway down. The center section contains the paneled wood and multi-light door set in a recess and a three-sided bay window with replacement glass and four-over-four-sash. An interior wide brick chimney rises from the front slope. The flanking wings are one-bay wide and contain six-over-six windows. The gable ends of the center block and the new shed-roofed rear dormer are sided with hardboard. A flat-roofed porch extends from the rear. Because of the parcel’s topography the house rests on a full basement. According to the 1956 city directory, Mr. Andreve was a dentist.
Rosa and John T. Talley House202 North Elam Avenueca. 1960Contributing Building
The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Ranch house displays a dentil cornice and a recessed entry sheathed in vertical wood siding and framed by square wood posts. Sidelights flank the multi-light and wood paneled door. A two-bay, side-gabled, brick wing to the south sits slightly lower than the main block. Windows are replacement eight-over-eight and a wide, brick chimney rests on the roof ridge.
NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) According to the 1961 city directory, John Talley was a shipping clerk for Odell Hardware, a wholesale hardware company in Greensboro.
Hazel and Lloyd Goodman House 205 North Elam Avenue ca. 1943 Noncontributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, four-bay, side-gabled, synthetic-sided Cape Cod has been altered with the addition of a rear second story and the reconfiguration of the rear roof slope. The façade remains intact and includes a classical entrance with fluted pilasters and a molded cornice framing a recessed entry with a paneled wood door. The southern one-third of the façade is slightly recessed from the northern two-thirds creating an irregular footprint. Windows are twelve-over-twelve. The three new façade dormers contain six-over-six sash. An interior brick chimney rises from the rear roof slope. The rear elevation boasts a one-story, gable ell that intersects with a gabled wing. The area between the front block and the gabled wing has been infilled with a flat or shed roofed addition. The Goodmans appear in the 1943 city directory as owners. He worked at the YMCA.
Stout House206 North Elam Avenueca. 1968Noncontributing Building
The two-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick and aluminum-sided house features a second story façade that overhangs the lower level. The paneled wood door is flanked by sidelights. Windows are eightover-eight and six-over-six. A shed-roofed, metal carport attaches to the rear elevation. A deed from 1984 suggests that the Stout family were the first owners.
Mamie and Graham Ennis House207 North Elam Avenueca. 1952Contributing Building
The one-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick Ranch house displays a recessed entry framed by brick pilasters. It contains a paneled wood and multi-light door. Windows are six-over-six, except for the three-part picture window on the façade that contains a large plate glass light flanked by tall, narrow, four-over-four windows. A wide interior brick chimney rises from the rear slope. According to the city directory for 1951-1952 city directory, Graham Ennis was a salesman for Kay Chemical Company.
NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Camelia and Henry H. Stout House 208 North Elam Avenue ca. 1950 Contributing Building The one-story, four-bay, side-gabled, hardboard-sided house features a bungalow-style wood door with modillion blocks and casement windows. A chimney rises from the south gable end. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. The Stouts are listed as the owners in the 1951-1952 city directory. Mr.
Stout worked for the Friden Calculating Machine Agency. By the mid-1950s, he was a building contractor.
Dare and James Filipski House209 North Elam Avenueca. 1955Contributing Building
The four-bay, brick, wood-shingle, and T-111-sided Split-Level dwelling epitomizes the type that took hold in suburbs throughout the country beginning in the mid-1950s. This house has its entrance, a paneled wood door with a fanlight, in the side-gabled wing pierced by replacement sliders or casement windows. The intersecting one-story-on-basement front gable is sheathed with wood shingles, but has a high brick foundation. A wide brick chimney rises from the southeast corner of the side-gabled wing so that it actually projects forward of the facade. The south gable end is clad in the same wood shingles found on the front facing wing. The parcel slopes downward from front to back allowing for a brick clad basement. A carport is incorporated beneath the southwest (rear) corner. James Filipski was the veteran’s representative for the State Employees Service Division in 1956, according to the city directory.
Ruby and Wade Snipes House210 North Elam Avenueca. 1942Contributing Building
The one-and-a-half-story, four-bay, side-gabled, vinyl-sided Period Cottage displays a wide façade chimney on an off-center, front-facing gable. A front-gabled portico with a vaulted soffit and supported by columns shelters a paneled wood and multi-light door. Windows are six-over-six. A wide frontgabled dormer sheathed in synthetic shingles and located on the north end of the façade appears to be a modern addition. A side-gabled screened porch extends from the south gable end. Snipes, a buyer for the NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Jones-Snipes Lumber Company, appears as owner and occupant, along with his wife Ruby, in the 1942 city directory.
House 211 North Elam Avenue Noncontributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, five-bay, side-gabled, vinyl-sided neo-Colonial Revival-inspired house boasts a front-gabled entry portico with synthetic columns. It shelters a paneled door with a transom and sidelights. Windows are six-over-six.
Katherine and John Starr House 212 North Elam Avenue ca. 1940 Contributing Building The one-story, four-bay, side-gabled, multi-hued brick Minimal Traditional house displays an off-center front-facing gable pierced by an arched-head louvered vent. A shed-roofed hood supported by decorative metal posts shelters the paneled wood and multi-light door. Windows are eight-over-eight and six-over-six, except for the three-part casement that pierces the front. A brick chimney rises from the north gable end where the main block intersects with a side-gabled, synthetic-sided enclosed porch with new windows and a new door. On the south gable end, a side-gabled brick wing is fronted by a weatherboard-sided entry porch with a classical pilaster next to its glazed and wood door. According to the 1941 city directory, John Starr was the superintendent of alarms for the city fire department.
Garage 212 North Elam Avenue ca. 1940 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.
The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, hardboard-sided Colonial Revival house displays a classical, front-gabled portico with fluted columns and pilasters. At the entry, the paneled wood and multi-light door is flanked by sidelights and framed by pilasters that support a molded cornice. A dentil cornice graces the house. Windows are eight-over-eight and a corbeled brick chimney straddles the roof ridge. A lower one-story, one-bay-wide, side-gabled wing is stepped back from the façade and attaches to the north gable end. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. According to the 1941 city directory, Mortimer Collson, who owned and occupied this house with his wife Nannie, worked for the Petroleum Equipment Company.
Garage 214 North Elam Avenue ca. 1940 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.
Selma and Arlie Smith House 215 North Elam Avenue ca. 1940 Noncontributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, large brick Minimal Traditional house displays a projecting, front-facing gable containing a recessed arched-head bay. A header-course brick arch tops the bay. A blind fanlight crowns the entry, which contains a replacement glass and wood door. Windows on the original portion are eight-over-eight and topped with soldier-course brick lintels. A brick chimney rises from the north gable end of the original house, just forward of the roof ridge. A north elevation, threebay, side-gabled brick wing is fronted by a flat-roofed porch with arched openings and turned wood posts. This wing appears to be a later addition and contains six-over-six windows and a large three-part picture window. A side-gabled, one-bay south elevation wing is sheathed in synthetic siding and contains an eight-over-eight window. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. According to the 1940 city directory, Arlie Smith was the business manager for Wesley Long Hospital.
A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, brick and aluminum-sided garage in the back yard contains a sixover-six window and a replacement garage door. A flat-roofed addition is located on the rear elevation.
Margaret and Ermon Nichols House 216 North Elam Avenue ca. 1941 Noncontributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, hardboard-sided Period Cottage displays two, frontfacing gables on its façade. The smaller is fronted by a front-gabled portico with square posts and a wood balustrade that shelters a modern fully-glazed door. The larger gable, which appears to be a later addition, contains an arched-head, stained glass window on its upper level. Windows are six-over-six and eight-over-eight. A single, front-gabled dormer rests on the south side of the façade. A brick chimney rises from the north gable end where the main block intersects with a one-story, one-bay-wide, side-gabled wing. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. The Nicholses appear as the owners and occupants in the 1941 city directory. Mr. Nichols was the assistant circulation manager for the Greensboro News.
Garage 216 North Elam Avenue ca. 1941 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, German-sided garage with a new door stands in the rear yard.