WWW.THESIS.DISLIB.INFO
FREE ELECTRONIC LIBRARY - Online materials, documents
 
<< HOME
CONTACTS



Pages:     | 1 |   ...   | 12 | 13 || 15 | 16 |   ...   | 54 |

«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»

-- [ Page 14 ] --

Geneva and Charlie Cagle House 206 South Elam Avenue ca. 1954 Noncontributing Building The one-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick Ranch house displays synthetic-sided gable ends. The entry, a paneled wood and multi-light door, is located on the south end of the façade. Windows are replacement four-over-four and six-over-six. The north end of the façade is sheathed in faux stone. An interior brick chimney rises just behind the roof ridge. A side-gabled, synthetic-sided screened porch that sits lower than main block occupies the rear portion of the south gable end. The 1954 city directory lists the Cagles as owners and occupants. Mr. Cagle worked as a letter carrier for the post office.

–  –  –

Noncontributing Building The one-story, four-bay, brick Ranch house includes a northwest corner carport recessed beneath the principal side-gabled roof. A patio and brick steps are forward of the paneled wood door. Windows are six-over-six. A secondary entry is located on the south gable end fronting Sylvan Road.

First Moravian Church Parsonage208 South Elam Avenueca. 1950Contributing Building

The one-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional house displays a front-facing gable with an end brick chimney. The classical entrance is located to the right (north) of the front gable and features fluted pilasters and a molded cornice framing a paneled wood and multi-light door. Windows are sixover-six replacements. Synthetic siding sheathes the gable ends and the rear ell. A metal canopy shelters the south gable end entry. The parsonage first appears in the city directories in 1950. That year, Rev.

Edward T. Mickey occupied the house.

Garage 208 South Elam Avenue ca. 1950 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, vinyl-sided garage stands in the rear yard.

First Moravian Church 300 South Elam Avenue The First Moravian Church consists of four institutional buildings, plus the parsonage (208 South Elam Avenue) and the church office (304 South Elam Avenue).

Chapel 300 South Elam Avenue Contributing Building

–  –  –

story-with-balcony, three-bay, front-gabled, brick building with a half-circular canopy sheltering a double-leaf, paneled wood door topped by a fanlight. Three round-arched-head, divided-light windows—two small windows flanking a larger one—pierce the upper front gable. Tall twenty-fiveover-twenty, round-arched-head windows pierce the exterior, except on the most forward bay of the north and south (side) elevations where a blind arch exists. A canopy identical to the one on the façade shelters a single-leaf wood door at the east end of the south elevation. On both the north and south elevations, an oculus pierces the upper wall on the east end of each elevation. A synthetic cupola straddles the roof.

Fellowship Hall300 South Elam Avenueca. 1955Contributing Building

A front-gabled, asbestos-shingled, one-story building on a brick foundation is located immediately behind the chapel. It features replacement six-over-six windows and a single-shouldered brick chimney on its south elevation. A hipped-roof section is located on its west (rear) elevation. A fanlight topped with a vaulted beadboard hood crowns the double-leaf entrance on the façade.

Building300 South Elam Avenueca. 1955Contributing Building

A one-story, three-bay, gable-roofed, concrete block building stands behind the fellowship hall.

Original metal-framed windows remain, but the synthetic, divided-light central door and sidelights are replacements. It likely served as a child care facility at one time.

Education Building300 South Elam Avenue Contributing Building

A two-story-on-basement, flat-roofed, brick education building stands south of the fellowship hall. A one-story, one-bay, brick entrance vestibule with a double-leaf door topped by a fanlight and a vaulted beadboard pediment is on the north side of the building. Windows feature half-circular transoms over the windows and doors. Wood panels with a raised wood tracery element are positioned between the NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) upper and lower windows of the façade. All windows have been replaced. A modern metal fire escape and doors to the first and second levels are located on the rear elevation.

Nell and Samuel Bason House 301 South Elam Avenue ca. 1935 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage boasts two overlapping front gables. The smaller gable has a catslide roof and an arched entry bay tabbed in granite. The gable holds a paneled wood and multi-light door and displays granite quoins. A brick chimney with granite elements occupies the larger front gable. Windows are six-over-six replacements. An open porch on the northwest (front) corner extends slightly behind the house’s gable end and features open bays with semi-elliptical brick arches and granite keystones and granite abutments. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation.

Elizabeth and Andrew Peklo House304 South Elam Avenueca. 1948Contributing Building

The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional house features an off-center, frontfacing gable. A shed-roofed porch supported by a turned post shelters the paneled wood and multi-light door. Windows are six-over-six and an interior brick chimney rises from the dwelling’s center, just forward of the roof ridge. A side-gabled, synthetic-sided enclosed porch with casement windows occupies the south gable end. The Peklos are listed as the owners and occupants in the 1948 city directory. He worked as a salesman for Spool Cotton Company of New York.





Marshall E. Luther House305 South Elam Avenueca. 1930Contributing Building

The one-story, three-bay, front-gabled, vinyl-sided bungalow displays a front-gabled porch graced with knee braces and supported by battered wood posts on brick piers. The off-center porch also features a wood balustrade. Knee braces grace the front gable. Windows are three-over-one and the brick chimney rises from the south elevation. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. The earliest known owner is Mr. Luther, who appears in the 1930 city directory.

NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) George Glass House 306 South Elam Avenue ca. 1940 Noncontributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Cape Cod house display a shed-roofed porch with square posts sheltering a recessed replacement door with and oval light. Windows are eight-over-eight replacements. A pair of synthetic-sided dormers containing six-over-six windows rest on the front roof slope. The gable ends are also sheathed in synthetic siding. An interior, corbelled brick chimney straddles the roof ridge. A hip-roofed porch on the south elevation has been enclosed and fitted with tall windows and a composite door. Immediately behind the enclosed porch is an original side-gabled, brick wing with synthetic siding in its gable. A synthetic-sided rear ell, roofline unknown, extends from this side-gabled wing. The 1940 city directory lists Glass, a painter, as the owner and occupant.

Garage 306 South Elam Avenue ca. 1940 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the back yard.

Annie and Rupert Mann House 307 South Elam Avenue ca. 1939 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional house features an off-center, front-facing gable and a front-hipped roof that was likely added later. A recessed porch shelters a paneled and multi-light door and a small window with diamond muntin pattern. A sawn balustrade and simple wood posts support the porch. A single dormer rests on the roof front slope. Windows are sixover-six and eight-over-eight. A chimney rises from the north gable end and an interior chimney is located on the south side of the house. A hip-roofed, weatherboard entry porch is located on the south elevation. Annie and Rupert Mann are listed as owners in the 1939 city directory. Mr. Mann was a department head at Montgomery-Ward.

–  –  –

ca. 1942 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional house displays an off-center, frontfacing gable. A shed roof with synthetic siding on its side extends toward the façade from the roof ridge to form a porch with wood supports. A metal awning is attached to the two sides of the porch. The porch shelters the multi-light and paneled wood door. Windows are one-over-one replacements. A brick chimney occupies the north gable end, just forward of the roof ridge. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. The Banners appear as owners and occupants in the 1942 city directory. He was a salesman for the Trulove Company.

Garage 308 South Elam Avenue ca. 1942 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gable garage with T-111 siding stands in the rear yard.

Pauline and Sion Campbell House 309 South Elam Avenue ca. 1930 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional house features a partial-width, frontgabled porch with a stucco tympanum pierced by an arched-head louvered vent. Square wooden posts support the porch, which displays gable returns and shelters a divided-light door. Windows are fourover-one Craftsman-style and a brick chimney rises from the north gable end, forward of the chimney. A hip-roofed brick ell extends from the rear. The Campbells likely built the house.

Leban Nantz House310 South Elam Avenueca. 1938Contributing Building

The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, asbestos-shingled Colonial Revival house features a centered front-gabled portico with a vaulted soffit and a wood keystone flanked by dentils. Paired Tuscan columns support the portico as it shelters a paneled wood and multi-light door. Replacement six-over-six NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) windows are found throughout. A brick chimney rises from the south gable end. In the 1938 city directory, Nantz is listed as a grocer.

Garage 310 South Elam Avenue ca. 1938 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, German-sided garage with knee brackets and exposed rafter tails occupies the back yard and faces south. It has a replacement door.

Ethel and Vaughn A. Pool House 311 South Elam Avenue ca. 1930 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage with gable returns displays an off-center, front-facing projecting gable pierced by a narrow and tall arched-head window topped by a header-course arch. A hip-roofed porch extends across a portion of the façade and is supported by brick posts. It shelters the paneled wood door located on the façade of the front gable. Windows are six-overone and surmounted by soldier-course lintels. A brick chimney occupies the south elevation, just forward of a projecting, side-gable, brick wing with gable returns that stands on the rear (east) end of that elevation. A gabled brick ell with an addition sheathed in synthetic siding extends from the rear.

There also appears to be a one-and-a-half-story, synthetic sided addition on the north side of the rear elevation, but only a small portion of it is visible from the right-of-way. Mr. Pool worked for Pilot Life Insurance Company.

Garage 311 South Elam Avenue ca. 1970 Noncontributing Building The one-story, two-bay, front-gabled, asbestos-shingled garage stands in the rear yard. It replaced an earlier one-bay garage that stood here at late as 1966.

–  –  –

Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick house features a shed-roofed screened porch that shelters a paneled wood and multi-light door. Windows throughout are six-over-six and eight-over-eight, except in the two front-gabled, synthetic-sided dormers where they are six-over-six. A brick chimney occupies the north gable end, just forward of the roof ridge. A one-story, hip-roofed ell extends from the rear elevation and surmounts a basement-level one-bay garage located on the north elevation. According to the 1941 city directory, the Greesons owned and occupied the house. He was the owner of F&G Refrigeration.

Helen and Fred Crimmins House401 South Elam Avenueca. 1950Contributing Building

The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, asbestos-shingled Minimal Traditional house displays scalloped vergeboard along the porch cornice and continuing on the front-facing, off-center front gable. A shedroofed porch supported by decorative iron posts shelters a wood door with three lights set in a stepped pattern. A forty-two-light window pierces the north side of the façade. Other windows are six-over-six.

A brick chimney with one paved shoulder occupies the north gable end, forward of the roof ridge. A small shed roofed entry is located on the rear elevation. An open, metal-roofed carport attaches to the rear elevation. It is fitted with slider windows. Mr. Crimmins was a credit supervisor for a local company.

Mary and Harvey Hart402 South Elam Avenueca. 1941Contributing Building

The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage boasts a front-facing gable whose upper level is pierced by a tall, narrow, louvered wood vent. A shed-roofed canopy with triangular brackets shelters the paneled wood and multi-light door. A wide brick chimney is located immediately to the right (north) of the entry. Windows are eight-over-eight. A gabled ell extends from the rear. The Harts owned a service station, according to the 1941 city directory.

–  –  –

Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, vinyl-sided bungalow features a full-width recessed porch supported by square synthetic posts. A low-pitched front gable surmounts the porch and a pair of smaller, low-pitched front gables rests on the front roof slope. The paneled wood door is a replacement, but the original four-over-one windows remain. A brick chimney rises at the south gable end but the flue pierces the interior roof ridge. A side-gabled wing projects slightly from the south elevation. The gable ends and gable end of the projecting wing display solid triangular knee braces. According to the 1942 city directory, Mr. Bradley was a traveling salesman.

Ruby and Horace Muse House404 South Elam Avenueca. 1941Contributing Building



Pages:     | 1 |   ...   | 12 | 13 || 15 | 16 |   ...   | 54 |


Similar works:

«Introduction Ivo Strecker & Stephen Tyler The history of cultural anthropology has been sketched as a set of experiments involving liaisons between two disciplines, such as anthropology and religion, anthropology and biology, anthropology and linguistics, anthropology and history (Kuper 1999). In the present book—as well as in forthcoming volumes of the Berghahn Books series Studies in Rhetoric and Culture—we add to this experiment by bringing rhetoric and anthropology closer to each other...»

«DAN BOLLINGERa and ROBERT S. VAN HOWEb Alexithymia and Circumcision Trauma: A Preliminary Investigation This preliminary study investigates what role early trauma might have in alexithymia acquisition for adults by controlling for male circumcision. Three hundred self-selected men were administered the Toronto Twenty-Item Alexithymia Scale checklist and a personal history questionnaire. The circumcised men had age-adjusted alexithymia scores 19.9 percent higher than the intact men; were 1.57...»

«A HANDBOOK FOr IMMACULATE CONCEPTION PrEPArATOrY SCHOOL i FOREWORD Since the beginning of the Prep School at Constant Spring in 1942 with ten students – our school has grown in numbers and our facilities have been upgraded. This handbook contains a history of our school, the goals and objectives, the various rules and regulations, as well as other information which we hope will prove useful. We hope that all here at Immaculate Prep will read this handbook and familiarize themselves with the...»

«The Stories of Helen & Innsbruck P.O. Box 1145 Helen GA, 30545 www.innsbruckgolfclub.com Phone 1-(706)-878-2100 HISTORY OF HELEN Helen is a unique, Bavarian-style town nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains, situated approximately ten miles north of Cleveland and about 90 miles northeast of Atlanta, which undoubtedly is best known for its annual Oktoberfest that runs from midSeptember to early November. Helen draws some three million visitors annually, making it the third largest travel...»

«NEW HAVEN COLONY HISTORICAL SOCIETY LIBRARY Manuscripts 70 April, Date processed: No. THE SARGENT FAMILY PAPERS, 1734-1955 I. Title The papers of Zeigler, Aaron, John, Winthrop Sargent, Mrs. T. Tilney II. Zeigler Sargent, Mrs. Toy deposited in the Library on, by Tilney In converted the deposit to a gift. Bt in. III. Linear feet of shelf space occupied: 1 ft, 1, O2 5 Approxirna te number of i terns: None IV. Restrictions: v. Literary rights of the unpublished writings of in these papers, and in...»

«The Order of Preachers and Spiritual Direction by Anne Aalbers A special interest paper submitted in partial fulfilment of the requirements of the Spiritual Directors’ Formation Programme of Spiritual Growth Ministries. Introduction Spiritual direction hasn’t always been the way we know it. Like goldfish in a bowl, we are, perhaps, too deeply immersed in the way we “do” spiritual direction to appreciate – or even be aware of – the value of past, historic understandings of the...»

«PRESTIGE® LP Cervical Disc System Patient Information PRESTIGE® LP Cervical Disc System Patient Information This patient information brochure is designed to help you understand one treatment option for your neck pain and related problems. After reviewing your medical history, x-rays, and the results of other tests you have completed, your doctor has recommended that you consider surgery to relieve your pain and discomfort. This patient brochure explains one option, surgery using the...»

«1 THE CHURCH AT PRAYER AND THE MISSIONARY CHURCH Twenty-ninth Sunday of Ordinary Time October 16, 1977 Exodus 17:8-13 2 Timothy 3:14-4:2 Luke 18:1-8 Our coming together this morning is like a family gathering1. I say this not only to those who are participating here and fill the cathedral (I am greatly pleased by your participation and this is very consoling to me as pastor) but I say the same to those women and men in the various parishes and villages who are united to us by radio. We come...»

«International Colloquium The Thousand Names of Gaia: From the Anthropocene to the Age of the Earth Rio de Janeiro, September 15-19, 2014 There is a growing sentiment in contemporary culture that ‘humankind’ and ‘the world’ – the species and the planet, societies and their environments, but also subject and object, thought and being – have been for some time, though now with increasingly threatening evidence, in a nefarious cosmological conjuncture, most frequently associated with...»

«Chapter VIII Education General Characteristics & Trends Educational resources in Niagara County include ten public school districts, Niagara University, Niagara County Community College (NCCC), the NIOGA Public Library system, the Board of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES) system, and 19 private schools, most of which are affiliated with religious institutions. These educational institutions are mapped and identified in Chapter III, Figure III.M.1. Many schools are located in the...»

«ARTICLE THE SENATE FILIBUSTER: THE POLITICS OF OBSTRUCTION EMMET J. BONDURANT* The notion that the Framers of the Constitution intended to allow a minority in the U.S. Senate to exercise veto power over legislation and presidential appointments is not only profoundly undemocratic, it is also a myth. The overwhelming trend in the literature on this topic has been to assume that because the Constitution grants to each house the power to make its own rules, the Senate filibuster rule is immune...»

«Product Category Rules for preparing an environmental product declaration (EPD) for PRINTERS AND MULTI-FUNCTION PRINTING UNITS To print black or color text and images onto paper or paper-like media. The product group includes Copiers, digital duplicators, fax machines, multifunction devices (MFDs), and printers that use hightemperature technologies such as Electrophotography (EP) and Solid Ink (SI), and others that provide comparable functionality VERSION December 12th, 2012 VALID THROUGH...»





 
<<  HOME   |    CONTACTS
2017 www.thesis.dislib.info - Online materials, documents

Materials of this site are available for review, all rights belong to their respective owners.
If you do not agree with the fact that your material is placed on this site, please, email us, we will within 1-2 business days delete him.