WWW.THESIS.DISLIB.INFO
FREE ELECTRONIC LIBRARY - Online materials, documents
 
<< HOME
CONTACTS



Pages:     | 1 |   ...   | 13 | 14 || 16 | 17 |   ...   | 54 |

«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»

-- [ Page 15 ] --

The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Cape Cod house includes a synthetic siding-sheathed shedroofed porch supported by slender columns and sheltering a paneled wood and multi-light door.

Windows are replacement eight-over-eight and topped with soldier-course lintels, except in the two front-gabled, aluminum-sided dormers which contain six-over-six windows. A brick chimney occupies the north gable end, forward of the roof ridge. A gabled ell attaches to the rear. According to the 1941 city directory, Horace Muse worked for Southern Railway.

Callie and Sample Huffine House405 South Elam Avenueca. 1930Contributing Building

The one-story, three-bay, pyramidal-roofed, brick Minimal Traditional house with gable returns displays an off-center, front-facing gable with returns. Brick posts support the flat-roofed porch and a solid brick balustrade extends along both sides of the porch. An aluminum and screen door allows access to the porch, which shelters a divided-light door. Windows are nine-over-one and a brick chimney rises from the south elevation. Front facing gables grace the north and south elevations. According to the 1930 city directory, Sample Huffine was justice of the peace.

–  –  –

The commodious, two-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, aluminum-sided Craftsman-style house displays a hip-roofed wraparound porch supported by battered wood posts on brick piers that are joined by a slatted brick balustrade. The porch shelters a central entry composed of a glazed door with divided lights and flanked by multi-light sidelights. Windows are Craftsman-style four-over-one. A front-gabled dormer with solid triangular brackets contains two four-over-one windows. These same brackets grace the gable ends. A brick chimney rises from the north gable end, forward of the roof ridge. A gabled ell extends from the rear. The house first appears in the 1927 city directory with W. E. Benbow as the owner and occupant. Benbow worked in real estate.

Garage 406 South Elam Avenue ca. 1927 Contributing Building A one-story, front-gabled, weatherboard garage with triangular brackets and two original garage doors stands in the rear yard. A single-leaf, vertical-wood door is to the left (south) of the garage bays.

Ruby and Sam Truitt House 407 South Elam Avenue ca. 1929 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, weatherboard Minimal Traditional house features an off-center, front-facing gable pierced by an arched-head, louvered wood vent. Wood posts support the recessed, screened porch. Windows are four-over-one and an exterior brick chimney rises from the north elevation, forward of the roof ridge. Another interior brick chimney rises from the junction of the front gable and the front roof slope. According to the 1929 city directory, Sam Truitt worked as a draftsman for Carolina Steel and Iron.

Garage 407 South Elam Avenue ca. 1929 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.

–  –  –

408 South Elam Avenue ca. 1927 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, weatherboard bungalow displays a recessed porch graced with battered posts on brick piers that extends northward to form a porte-cochere. Triangular knee braces grace the shingled gable ends and the shingled, shed-roofed dormer containing three eightlight windows. Windows throughout are eight-over-eight. A gabled ell extends from the rear. According to the 1927 city directory, Baxter Parks was a firefighter.

Tela and William Manson House409 South Elam Avenueca. 1928Contributing Building

The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, weatherboard Craftsman-style house displays a front-gabled porch supported by square posts. Overhanging eaves and exposed rafter tails characterize the porch, which shelters a divided-light door. Tall balustrades flank both sides of the entry porch. Original double casement windows remain and a pair of louvered wood eyebrow vents rest on the front roof slope. Early in the house’s history, a northwest corner (front) porch was enclosed and fitted with four-over-four windows and a divided-light door. Knee braces grace the north and south gable ends. An exterior brick chimney rises from the south elevation, but its flue pierces the front roof slope. According to the 1929 city directory, Mr. Manson owned an insurance business.

Mary and Rev. Walter Spencer House411 South Elam Avenueca. 1929Contributing Building

The one-story, three-bay, cross-gabled, weatherboard bungalow features a partial-width, front-gabled porch supported by bold brick posts. The porch shelters a divided-light door. Shingles grace the front gable and triangular knee braces support the eaves. A front-facing gable rests on the roof slope on the north elevation. Windows throughout are six-over-six replacements. An elongated side wing with a rear screened porch, which appears on the 1966 Sanborn maps, is in keeping with the style of the house. A brick chimney straddles its roof ridge. Rev. Spencer served Ebenezer Lutheran Church, according to the 1929 city directory.

–  –  –

411 South Elam Avenue ca. 1938 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.





House 412 South Elam Avenue ca. 1925 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, front-gabled, vinyl-sided bungalow displays a front-gabled porch with battered posts on stuccoed brick piers. A replacement door with three lights is centered on the façade and windows are replacement one-over-one.

Emma Sherwood House 500 South Elam Avenue ca. 1927 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, aluminum-sided bungalow is fronted with a frontgabled porch with triangular knee braces and replacement decorative iron posts. The original three windows with three vertical lights each remain in the front gable. The porch extends along two-thirds of the façade and shelters a paneled wood and multi-light door. Windows are four-over-one and knee braces grace the gable ends. A shed-roofed projecting bay with knee braces occupies the north elevation, while a brick chimney rises from the south elevation. Ms. Sherwood was a widow and in 1927 lived here with her daughter Emily, a typist for Jefferson Standard Life Insurance Company.

May and Earl Riley House501 South Elam Avenueca. 1929Contributing Building

The one-story, three-bay, hip-roofed, asbestos-shingled bungalow displays a full-façade recessed porch supported by square wood posts. It shelters a divided-light door and is topped by a two-light, hip-roofed dormer. Windows are one-over-one and a pair of interior brick chimneys rises from the north and south elevation roof slopes. A rear (northeast) corner porch has been enclosed. According to the 1929 city NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) directory, May and Early Riley, who owned Riley’s Garage, lived here. They owned Riley’s Motor Service.

Lola and James D. Underwood House 502 South Elam Avenue ca. 1925 Contributing Building The one-story, four-bay, front-gabled, asbestos-shingled bungalow features triangular knee braces and a full-width recessed porch with square wood supports. The façade displays two front doors as it serves as a duplex. Windows are four-over-one and an interior brick chimney rises from the north roof slope.

According to the 1927 city directory, Mr. Underwood was a building contractor.

Garage 502 South Elam Avenue ca. 1925 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, German-sided garage stands in the rear yard.

House 503 South Elam Avenue Noncontributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, synthetic-sided house includes a front-gabled, shingled portico with synthetic columns. Windows are three-over-one.

Irene and Houston Kidd House 504 South Elam Avenue ca. 1936 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, cross-gabled, brick Period Cottage features a flat-roofed porch supported by brick posts on brick piers and a brick balustrade and topped by a modern wooden balustrade with finial-topped corner posts. A divided-light, single-leaf door on the upper façade leads to the balcony that tops the porch. A small front-facing gable occupies the south side of the façade. A modern composite door with an oval light replaces the original. Windows are one-over-one NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) replacements and topped with soldier-course lintels. An exterior brick chimney occupies the north elevation, forward of a one-story, side-gabled brick wing. Another interior brick flue rises from the north roof slope, behind the north elevation wing. A gabled ell extends from the rear. According to the 1936 city directory, Houston Kidd worked as a clerk at Grubbs General Store.

Garage 504 South Elam Avenue ca. 1936 Contributing Building The one-story, two-bay, weatherboard garage with sliding batten doors stands in the rear yard.

Elsie and Harry Schmidt House 506 South Elam Avenue ca. 1928 Contributing Building The two-story, two-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style house features a one-story, hip-roofed porch supported by Tuscan columns. It shelters an off-center entry consisting of paneled pilasters and a paneled cornice framing a recessed, divided-light door. Windows are six-over-six replacements and are topped with either soldier-course lintels or header-course lintels. A one-story, flat-roofed, brick wing on the north elevation is topped with a modern metal balustrade. A multi-light door just to the left (east) of the gable-end brick chimney allows access to the balcony. A hip-roofed canopy with triangular knee braces surmounts a paneled wood and multi-light door on the south elevation. Aerial photos reveal a hipped ell on the rear elevation. According to the 1928 city directory, Harry Schmidt was a supervisor for Greensboro Full Fashion Hosiery Mill.

Hettie and Coy Angel House507 South Elam Avenueca. 1929Contributing Building

The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, vinyl-sided bungalow displays triangular knee braces and original six-over-one windows. A prominent front-gabled screened porch supported by battered wood posts on brick piers shelters a divided-light door. A pair of small, four-light windows pierces its upper gable. A brick chimney rises from the north elevation, just forward of a side-gabled projection. Another chimney, this one interior, straddles the roof ridge on the north side of the house. Mr. Angel worked as a brakeman, according to the 1929 city directory.

NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Garage 507 South Elam Avenue ca. 2000 Noncontributing Building A two-bay, front-gabled, vinyl-sided garage stands in the rear yard.

Margaret and Clarence Jackowski House 508 South Elam Avenue ca. 1928 Contributing Building The two-story, two-bay, pyramidal-roofed, brick Foursquare displays a front-gabled, knee-braced canopy with a vaulted soffit over the paneled wood and multi-light door. A modern, synthetic-sided, shed-roofed porch with wooden posts shelters the northern two-thirds of the façade. Windows are replacement six-over-one. A one-story, shingle-sided wing topped by a new wooden balustrade occupies the north elevation. A divided-light door on the upper story of the north elevation leads to the balcony atop the wing. A brick chimney rises through the wing and on the exterior of the north elevation.

Mr. Jackowski was president of Southern Steel Company.

Garage 508 South Elam Avenue ca. 1928 Contributing Building The one-story, front-gabled, weatherboard garage with one bay stands in the rear yard. An open shed is attached to the south elevation.

Smith’s Food Market and Barkers Cleaners 511 South Elam Avenue ca. 1949 Contributing Building The one-story, two-part, flat-roofed, brick commercial building originally contained two stores; the interior wall was taken down in 1983. Both storefronts display large, metal-framed plate glass windows.

An angled plate glass window on the southern storefront leads to a fully-glazed, recessed door. The NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) northern storefront consists of a double-leaf, fully-glazed door that is centered on the façade. Barkers Cleaners occupied the building in 1949. The next year, Smith’s Good Market opened in the northern half of the building. In 1959, the Smith family bought the cleaners and renamed it Sno-White Cleaners, the name it retains today. The original owner’s son, Lindley Smith, currently owns and operates the cleaners.

West Friendly Avenue Inez and Roger Layton House 1703 West Friendly Avenue ca. 1935 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, cross-gabled, brick Period Cottage displays two projecting front gables of differing heights sheathed in synthetic vertical siding. The larger of the two gables surmounts a Tudorstyle door of vertical wood with iron strap hinges and a pair of tall, narrow windows with fixed lights with muntins set in a diamond pattern. A brick chimney occupies the façade east of the entry. Windows throughout are replacement eight-over-eight and topped with soldier-course lintels. An original flat- or low-hip-roofed bay window occupies the east gable end. A shed-roofed hood with triangular knee braces shelters a west elevation entry. Both gable ends are sheathed in the same vertical siding seen in the front gables. The Laytons bought the parcel in 1935 and sold the property in 1947. Roger Layton was a printer.

Studio 1703 West Friendly Avenue ca. 2000 Noncontributing Building A gable- and shed-roofed storage building with vinyl siding and measuring 12’ by 20’ stands in the rear yard. A historic outbuilding stood on the site in 1966.

Bessie M. and James Gwyn House 1805 West Friendly Avenue ca. 1936 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, cross-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional-style dwelling displays a new flat-roofed porch supported by simple square posts. The porch shelters a paneled wood door.

NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Windows are six-over-six and topped with soldier-course lintels. A brick chimney occupies the west gable end, forward of the roof ridge. A small gabled ell extends from the east end of the rear elevation.

The Gwyns bought the parcel in April 1936 and likely built the house soon thereafter. The family owned the property into the 1970s. The 1940 census indicates that James Gwyn was a salesman for a wholesale cigar company.

.



Pages:     | 1 |   ...   | 13 | 14 || 16 | 17 |   ...   | 54 |


Similar works:

«NORTH CAROLINA STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE Office of Archives and History Department of Cultural Resources NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Terrace Historic District Asheville, Buncombe County, BN1828, Listed 12/16/2005 Nomination by Clay Griffith Photographs by Clay Griffith, December 2004 See photo at the end of the nomination NPS Form 10-900 OMB No. 1024-0018 (Rev. 10-90) United States Department of the Interior National Park Service National Register of Historic Places...»

«Gender & History ISSN 0953-5233 Liz Stanley and Helen Dampier, “I Just Express My Views & Leave Them to Work’: Olive Schreiner as a Feminist Protagonist in a Masculine Political Landscape with Figures’ Gender & History, Vol.24 No.3 November 2012, pp. 677–700. ‘I Just Express My Views & Leave Them to Work’: Olive Schreiner as a Feminist Protagonist in a Masculine Political Landscape with Figures Liz Stanley and Helen Dampier I have written two long letters to my brother. I don’t...»

«CITY OF HOUSTON Archaeological & Historical Commission Planning and Development Department PROTECTED LANDMARK DESIGNATION REPORT LANDMARK NAME: Sterne Building AGENDA ITEM: IIIc OWNERS: FKM Partnership HPO FILE NO: 11PL102 APPLICANTS: Same DATE ACCEPTED: Mar-21-2011 LOCATION: 300 Main Street – Main Street Market Square HAHC HEARING: May-19-2011 SITE INFORMATION: Lot 5, Tract 4A, Block 33, SSBB, City of Houston, Harris County, Texas. The site includes a three-story commercial brick building....»

«Maritime Sociology or Sociology of Maritime Issues? World Literature Review and Some Historical Considerations Agnieszka Kołodziej−Durnaś (University of Szczecin) ABSTRACT The name of maritime sociology has been present in the Polish scientific discourse for some decades now. In the text the author proves that in the world scientific literature the caption is not present but there are many publications which refer to sociological research on maritime issues. The author concentrates on...»

«SEDERI SOCIEDAD ESPANOLA DE ESTUDIOS RENACENTISTAS INGLESES The specific aim of the Spanish Society for English Renaissance Studies is to promote, stimulate and give impulse in Spain to the study and research of 16th and 17th century English language, literature and history, and their relationship with their Spanish conterparts, in all aspects: linguistic, literary and cultural. EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE PRESIDENT: Javier Sánchez Escribano, Universidad de Zaragoza. SECRETARY-TREASURER: Andrew...»

«REITH LECTURES 1975: America and the World Experience Daniel Boorstin Lecture 3: The Therapy of Distance TRANSMISSION: 26 November 1975 – Radio 4 With the settlement of the colonies in North America, for the first time in history English ‘provinces’ became transatlantic. The story of American civilisation gives us an opportunity to see what happens when a prospering ancient culture detaches a piece of itself to a great distance. On the other side of a broad ocean, the civilisation of...»

«The Collection of Roman Republican Coins of a Student and his Mentor Part III The mint is Rome, unless otherwise stated. 222 Didrachm, Neapolis circa 310-300, AR 7.39 g. Helmeted head of bearded Mars l.; behind, oak-spray. Rev. Horse’s head r. on base inscribed ROMANO; behind, corn ear. Sydenham 1. Crawford 13/1. Historia Numorum Italy 266. Rare. Struck on excellent metal and with a lovely light iridescent tone, about extremely fine 2’500 Ex Hess sale 249, 1979, 253. 223 Half unit, Neapolis...»

«RELIGIOUS AWARENESS IN ART FROM PREHISTORY TO TODAY A Course in Art Appreciation Lectures by Dr. Francis J. GREENE, Art Historian November 7, 2007, Museum of Biblical Art, New York City Prehistoric Cave Art, Egypt, Greece and Rome Simmonds: Good evening, and welcome to our lecture on ―Prehistoric Cave Art, Egypt, Greece and Rome‖ the first in a series of four lectures by Dr. Francis Greene organized by Crossroads New York Cultural Center. The title of the series is ―Religious awareness in...»

«71 Afterpieces: A miscellany of well-considered trifles University of Queensland, Australia  Veronica Kelly The Family Way M any substantial works of theatre history present their material in the form of chronological career biographies of performers and/or managers. Along with standard scholarly research in archives, public records, newspapers and ephemera collections, their research necessitates considerable tact and persistence in sleuthing the clues of entangled or obscured marital...»

«DISCE.AUT.DISCEDE MARLWOOD SCHOOL Centenary Copy “Thou has most traitorously corrupted the youth of the realm in erecting a grammar school.” Shakespeare, “Henry VI, Part 2 But, “The Foundation of every state is the education of its youth” Diogenes, “Strobaeus Florilegium” THE HISTORY OF MARLWOOD SCHOOL BY L. G. Taylor To all Past and Present Pupils and Staff of Thornbury Grammar School and Marlwood School 1570(?) — 1979 Photo/ Marlwood school as seen from Vattingstone Lane,...»

«UNBOUND An Annual Review of Legal History and Rare Books Journal of the Legal History and Rare Books Special Interest Section of the American Association of Law Libraries Volume 1 UNBOUND An Annual Review of Legal History and Rare Books Unbound: An Annual Review of Legal History and Rare Books is published yearly by the Legal History and Rare Books Special Interest Section of the American Association of Law Libraries BOARD OF EDITORS Mark Podvia, Editor-in-Chief Associate Law Librarian and...»

«Lives of Uncommon children Reflections of Forgotten Australians T HIS book commemorates the tenth anniversary of the Forde Inquiry, which investigated the abuse of children in Queensland institutions. Former Queensland Governor Leneen Forde took information from more than 300 people and looked at the histories of more than 150 orphanages and detention centres. Her report made 42 recommendations. Micah Projects is a not-for-profit organisation comprising services that respond to injustice –...»





 
<<  HOME   |    CONTACTS
2017 www.thesis.dislib.info - Online materials, documents

Materials of this site are available for review, all rights belong to their respective owners.
If you do not agree with the fact that your material is placed on this site, please, email us, we will within 1-2 business days delete him.