«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»
Ardith and Lloyd B. Gallimore House 203 West Greenway Drive North ca. 1937 Contributing Building The two-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Georgian Revival-style house exhibits an elaborate two-story center bay. At the entry, Ionic columns and pilasters frame a paneled wood and twelve-light door topped by a wood panel fronted with a diamond-motif screen. A tall entablature with a dentil cornice surmounts the entry. It is topped with a low, decorative, metal balustrade that fronts a Palladian window flanked by Ionic columnettes and topped by a blind fanlight extending into a front gable with returns. Windows are six-over-six and on the first level topped by radiating brick voussoirs with cast stone keystones. The upper façade windows terminate at their crowns in a plain frieze. A brick chimney rises from the south gable end of the main block and through the roof of a modern sunroom that replaced what was likely an earlier open porch. Gallimore was a building contractor. He and his wife bought the parcel in July, 1936.
In the 1940 census, Mrs. Gallimore is reported to work as a stenographer at a construction company, NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) likely her husband’s business. They sold the house to the First Baptist Church for use as a parsonage in
1951. The church used it as its parsonage until 1969.
Martha and John V. Hunt 205 West Greenway Drive North ca. 1936 Contributing Building The grand, two-and-a-half-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style house exhibits a modillion course and a front-gabled portico with a vaulted soffit and dentils. Square posts and pilasters with astragals grace the portico as it shelters a paneled door framed by a transom and sidelights. A continuous lintel of soldier-course bricks extends under the frieze and above the upper level windows.
Windows are six-over-six with first floor windows topped by soldier-course lintels. Three front-gabled, weatherboard dormers with dentils contain louvered panels topped with fanlights and framed by classical pilasters like those on the portico rest on the front roof slope. Exterior brick chimneys occupy each gable end of the main block. A one-story, one-bay, flat-roofed brick wing topped with a wood balustrade occupies the north gable end. A similar wing is located on the south elevation, but it was originally an open porch and has been enclosed with weatherboard and large lights. The dwelling occupies a rise at the rear of a large parcel with significant stone and brick walls and stairs. According to the 1937 city directory, John Hunt was supervisor of Mock, Judson, Voehringer Company of North Carolina, a manufacturer of women’s hosiery.
House 207 West Greenway Drive North Noncontributing Building The two-story, hip-roofed, brick French Provincial-style house displays turrets, an oriel window, sloping gables, casement windows, and a recessed, arched entry bay containing double-leaf, wood paneled and multi-light doors.
Laura Orleans and Sol Bernard Weinstein House 209 West Greenway Drive North ca. 1956 Contributing Building
wood door with sidelights are recessed beneath the principal roof with the entry bay framed by fluted pilasters. Brick flat arches top the replacement twelve-over-twelve and one-over-one windows. A pair of hip-roofed dormers with six-over-six windows rests on the front slope of the main block’s roof. A corbeled brick chimney straddles the roof ridge. The Weinsteins purchased the lot in 1954 and the property remained in the family until 2000. Sol Weinstein (1904-1989), an attorney, founded a firm bearing his name in 1933. Laura Orleans Weinstein (1909-2001), was raised in Martin County, North Carolina, attended Cornell University, North Carolina Women’s College (now UNCG), and graduated from New York University. The Weinstein’s son, Robert Weinstein, currently heads the law firm established by his father.
Rebecca and George Blankstein House 211 West Greenway Drive North ca. 1963 Contributing Building The one-story, five-bay, brick Ranch house with a dentil cornice features a paneled reveal and paneled wood door recessed beneath the principal roof. Windows are six-over-six with paneled aprons on the façade. An interior brick chimney rises from just behind the roof ridge. The house was likely built by the Blanksteins, who purchased the property in 1945. In the late 1940s, the Blanksteins lived at 205 West Greenway Drive North. In 1950, George Blankstein was president of Thomasville Hosiery Mill, according to the city directory for that year. Rebecca Blankstein sold the house in 1970.
Garage 211 West Greenway Drive North ca. 1990 Noncontributing Building A one-story, one-bay, synthetic-sided garage stands in the rear yard.
Goldie and Max Zagar House 301 West Greenway Drive North ca. 1940 Contributing Building The stately, two-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style house features a dentil cornice, brick quoins, and gable returns. At the entry, a segmental arch pediment surmounts a molded cornice. Fluted pilasters frame a recessed entry with a paneled reveal and double-leaf, paneled wood doors pierced by upper windows with spoked muntins. A pair of round windows with diamondNPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) pattern muntins flanks the entry. Bowed bay windows pierce the first level of the façade. Windows elsewhere are eight-over-eight and six-over-six and topped by brick flat arches. Three front-gabled dormers rest on the front roof slope, while brick chimneys rise from the gable ends of the main block. A one-story, side-gabled, wood-sided sun porch extends from the north gable end; it displays a dentil cornice and fluted pilasters. On its façade, a three-part window consists of a center eight-over-twelve window flanked by four-over-six windows. A one-and-a-half-story, brick wing extends from the southwest corner. It appears on the 1966 Sanborn map. Like the main block, it displays brick quoins, brick arches, front-gabled dormers, and gable returns. More modern additions on the rear elevation, including a gabled ell and a flat or shed-roofed addition, post-date 1966, but are not visible from the public right-of-way. The Zagars built the house and the family retained ownership until 1972. Mr. Zagar either owned or managed the Palace Theatre, which was originally a vaudeville theater and located on East Market Street. It operated as a movie theater from 1931 and catered to African American patrons.
The theater closed sometime in the early 1960s and has since been demolished. According to a neighbor, the Zagars had a theater in the upper level of their house.
Mary and Hugh Preddy House 303 West Greenway Drive North Contributing Building Lorenzo S. Winslow, Architect The two-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick and half-timbered Tudor Revival-style house features a projecting, two-story, front gable containing the entrance. A wood batten door with metal strap hinges and pierced by a small window with diamond-patterned wood muntins is set in a Tudor arched-head brick surround. Narrow windows with stone sills flank the door. Square posts support a porch that extends along the façade of the south end of the house. It is topped by a wood balustrade enclosing a balcony. French doors replace the original windows and allow access from a second floor bedroom to the balcony. A metal spiral staircase joins the balcony and lower level porch. Windows throughout are primarily casement and six-over-six and four-over-four. A variety of decorative brick patterns grace the first level. On the north elevation, two side-gabled wings of differing heights project from the main block. A one-and-a-half-story, side-gabled wing occupies the south gable end. Two brick chimneys rise from the house, one on the south gable end of the main block and one on the rear roof slope. A wooden Tudor arch crowns a rear recessed entry that is sheathed in weatherboard. A slate roof tops the dwelling. The interior follows a center hall plan with the stair originating in the rear portion of the passage. Just inside the door, the original tile floor remains. The interior remains largely unchanged, except for the removal of a wall between two second floor bedrooms.
NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Architect Lorenzo Winslow (1892-1976), a native of High Point, designed the house. Winslow, who earned a degree in engineering and architecture from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, took a position at the A. K. Moore Realty Company, developer of Sunset Hills, in 1924. Winslow's role was to assist homeowners in architectural design and engineering, with the help of James R. Hollowell, a recent engineering graduate from Clemson. The team of Winslow and Hollowell probably designed many of the European and Early American-inspired houses in Sunset Hills. In 1927, Winslow established his own firm. (Benjamin Briggs, "Lorenzo S. Winslow," North Carolina Architects and Builders: A Biographical Dictionary, Copyright & Digital Scholarship Center, North Carolina State University Libraries, Raleigh, N.C.).
Hugh N. Preddy was born in 1886 in Oak Ridge, the third son of seven children. In 1915 Hugh married Mary Dodson of Thomasville. With a mortgage of $10,324, the couple moved into their Tudor Revival style home in 1928. At the time of their purchase, Preddy served as a clerk for the Greensboro office of E. A. Pierce & Company, on Friendly Avenue in downtown. E. A. Pierce & Co. was a securities brokerage firm based in New York City, later known as Merrill Lynch.
By 1930 Preddy had lost his position with the stock brokerage likely due to the crash of the stock market the previous year. In addition, several family members were living under the roof of 303 West Greenway Drive North, including his niece Mary Wooters, in-laws James and Mittie Dodson, grandmother-in-law Mary Jane Elliott, aunt-in-law Mary Lines and lodger Laurence McRae. Preddy took a position as a telephone operator the next year, and his niece took a position as a stenographer with the Crescent Chevrolet Company, but by 1933 the Preddys defaulted on their mortgage. The property was sold at public auction, only to be purchased by the estate of Mary’s grandfather. The 1940 census records Mary and Hugh Preddy sharing the house with Mittie Dodson, three boarders, a maid, and a house boy. By this time, Hugh Preddy worked at a cotton mill. Mary’s grandfather’s estate held ownership of the property until 1941, at which point the family disappeared from public records.
The next owners of the home were Wylanta and David Buckner. David was a native of Newlin in Alamance County and graduate of Wake Forest College. Wylanta McKay was from Fayetteville. The couple was married in 1925 just two years after David joined the actuarial department of Jefferson Standard Life Insurance. He was named assistant actuary in 1926, associate actuary in 1932, and was elected a vice president in 1943. He served as president of the Greensboro Civitan Club and was active in the York Rite Body of Masons and the First Baptist Church. Wylanta was a member of Current Commentators Book Club, the Greensboro Women’s Club, and a charter member of the Belle Sides Sunday school class at West Market Street United Methodist Church. The couple had two sons, David Jr and John. Wylanta remained in the home after David’s death in 1956, and hosted her newlywed son and his bride Ann for a brief period. She passed away in 1981 after living at 303 West Greenway Drive North for forty years. In 1981, Susan and Harter McMullen purchased the home, and Susan remains NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) there today with her second husband Bob Gingher. (Biographical information about the Preddys and Wylantas is from Benjamin Briggs’ draft for the Sunset Hills home tour, 2012) Garage 303 West Greenway Drive North Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, side-gabled, brick garage stands in the rear yard. An inset porch supported by a wood posts occupies its southeast corner. A single, six-over-six window is located on its façade.
Christine J. and J. Addison Smith House 401 West Greenway Drive North ca. 1947 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-inspired house with a dentil cornice features an engaged porch beneath a sloping side gable. Paired square posts support the porch that includes a dentil cornice. It shelters an elaborate entry composed of a traceried semi-elliptical fanlight and sidelights that frame a paneled wood door with two lights. Windows are eight-over-eight and six-over-six and topped by brick flat arches with radiating voussoirs. Three front-gabled dormers with asbestos-shingle siding rest on the front roof slope. A corbelled brick chimney straddles the roof ridge. A pair of one-story, one-bay, side-gabled, brick blocks with gable returns flanks the main block;
each includes a bay window on its façade. A smaller wing occupies the rear (western) half of the southern block; it too has gable returns. All gable ends are sheathed in asbestos shingles. The Smiths purchased the lot in 1939, but apparently did not construct the house until around 1947; in fact, the 1947 city directory lists the house as “under construction.” Mr. Smith was a building contractor. The property remained in the family until the early 1980s when the current owner purchased it.
Garage 401 West Greenway Drive North ca. 1947 Contributing Building A side-gabled, four-bay, concrete block garage stands in the rear yard.