WWW.THESIS.DISLIB.INFO
FREE ELECTRONIC LIBRARY - Online materials, documents
 
<< HOME
CONTACTS



Pages:     | 1 || 3 | 4 |   ...   | 54 |

«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»

-- [ Page 2 ] --

One-story Colonial Revival houses abound in Sunset Hills. Hazel and Diffee H. Lambert built their oneand-a-half-story, brick Colonial Revival-style house at 203 Ridgeway Drive around 1939. Although built during the Depression, it is a well-appointed edifice with a dentil cornice and classical entry with pilasters supporting a frieze with triglyphs topped by a molded cornice. The paneled wood door is recessed within a paneled reveal. Also from the late 1930s, the Eleanor and W. Brown Patterson House at 309 Ridgeway Drive is an asymmetrical, one-and-a-half-story, brick Colonial Revival house with a stepped dentil cornice and an entry composed of bold pilasters supporting a molded cornice with a dentil course. Much more common are rectangular, side-gabled, mostly brick houses with modest classical detailing. These scaled down and restrained Colonial Revival-style houses make an appearance in Sunset Hills in the 1940s and later. The Olive and John M. Betts House at 404 Ridgeway Drive dates to around 1940 and is a one-and-a-half-story, brick dwelling with brick quoins and an entry composed of fluted pilasters supporting a segmental wood pediment with scalloped sawnwork. At 309 North Elam Avenue, the ca. 1943 Elizabeth and Weston Reese House is a one-story, brick dwelling with brick quoins, a dentil cornice, and a centered and finely detailed classical entry with fluted pilasters and a frieze with triglyphs framing a paneled wood door. Sheathed in asbestos shingle siding, the one-story, side-gabled, Leban Nantz House at 310 South Elam Avenue dates to ca. 1938 and has a simple form that is enhanced by the presence of a front-gabled Tuscan-columned portico with a vaulted soffit and a wood keystone flanked by dentils. Bold Tuscan columns front the otherwise simple Alice and Frank Lamb House at 225 South Tremont Drive. Built around 1937, the small, one-story, brick house displays unusually pronounced classical features such as a tripartite entry, paneled aprons under the windows, and a side porch with prominent columns that match those on the front portico.

Cape Cod houses enjoyed widespread popularity in Sunset Hills primarily in the 1930s and 1940s. Cape Cods display Colonial Revival features on a simple form: a one-and-a-half-story, side-gabled, mostly brick house with a gable end or center, interior chimney. Dormers bring light to the upper level, while a one-story porch wing, set back from the plane of the façade, is a common feature. The ca. 1940 Edith NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) and William H. Sullivan Jr. House at 308 West Greenway Drive South is one-and-a-half-story, sidegabled, brick Cape Cod house displaying an elaborate entrance. A flat roof surmounts a wood cornice with dentils and decorative scrollwork at its base. Fluted pilasters frame the recessed paneled wood door topped by a multi-light transom.

Compared to Colonial Revival houses, a much smaller pool of Dutch Colonial Revival houses occupy the district. These side-gabled, mostly weatherboard, two-story houses display steeply-pitched gambrel roofs with either continuous shed-roofed dormers or separate front-gabled dormers on the front and rear elevations. The weatherboard Helen and Dr. Duncan W. Holt House at 1712 Madison Avenue dates to around 1927 and displays a classically-inspired front-gabled hood with brackets and a vaulted soffit.

Sidelights and a blind fanlight frame the door. A nearly identical house stands at 1812 Madison Avenue.

The Christine and Ray Warren house from ca. 1928 and is a weatherboard Dutch Colonial dwelling with curved brackets supporting a front-gabled hood.

In addition to brick and weatherboard, builders in Sunset Hills constructed Colonial Revival-style houses in stone. Built around 1925 with a green tile roof, the Pearl and James M. Crutchfield House at 2002 West Market Street dates to ca. 1925 is a grand, two-and-a-half-story, uncoursed stone Colonial Revival-style dwelling with a modillion and dentil cornice and a front-gabled portico with dentils and Tuscan columns. The Flossie and Henry Hanes House at 1902 Madison Avenue dates to ca. 1928 and is a two-story, three-bay, multi-colored granite-clad dwelling displaying a Tuscan-columned, one-story porch. The original green, barrel tile roof with intact ridge tiles and crockets surmounts the house with wide overhanging eaves. Around 1940, Virginia and John F. Troxler Jr. built a one-and-a-half-story, side-gabled house with a swan’s neck pediment and a center finial above a reeded cornice. They sheathed the house located at 1904 Madison Avenue in cementitious simulated stone, which was sold under brand names such as Permastone, Formstone, and Rostone.

Contemporary with the Colonial Revival style in Sunset Hills was the Tudor Revival style. Executed in brick or stone, these dwellings typically featured steeply-pitched roofs, one or more front-facing gables, decorative half-timbering, large brick chimneys, and varied eave-line heights. The most outstanding example of the Tudor Revival style is the Helen Gunn Lindley and the Honorable Paul L. Lindley House at 204 East Greenway Drive North. Built around 1928 for a Greensboro mayor and his wife, the grand, two-story, cross-gabled, brick and half-timbered stucco house displays a Tudor-arch bay on the front of its porch that is tabbed in cut masonry; smaller Tudor arches pierce the sides of the portico. A wide corbelled brick chimney with slate-shingle-paved set offs and decorative projecting header bricks occupies the façade between the entrance and a screened porch. Masonry quoins mark the brick first story’s corners. The dwelling’s presence is further enhanced by its commanding location facing Sunset Park, which extends along Greenway Drive North. At 2004 Madison Avenue, the ca. 1925 Edna and Samuel Ziegler House is more typical of the style as it appeared in Sunset Hills. The two-story, threeNPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) bay, side-gabled, brick and half-timbered stucco house displays a front-facing, projecting gable. A smaller brick, front-gabled entry with slightly flared eaves projects from the east end of the larger gable and contains a Tudor arch filled with a vertical board wood door with an upper light containing a diamond muntin pattern.





While Tudor Revival houses typically displayed a variety of exterior finishes and complex massing, more subdued examples stand in the district. Built around 1927 for Annie and William Alderman, the two-story, hip- and gable-roofed house at 1707 Madison Avenue is all brick and lacks half-timbering or stone embellishments. A steeply-pitched shed-roofed entry shelters an original arched-head, multi-light door. The Helen and Ernest B. Hunter House at 300 North Chapman Street is almost identical to the Alderman House. Built around 1928 for the city editor of the Greensboro Daily News, the two-story, high-hipped and side-gabled-roofed, brick Tudor-Revival style dwelling includes a two-story, one-bay, projecting front gable at the center of the façade. Its shed-roofed entry is similar to the one on the Madison Avenue house.

Like suburban neighborhoods that developed across the state during the first half of the twentieth century, the Sunset Hills Historic District includes an extensive collection of Period Cottages. Related to the Tudor Revival style in form and finish and built extensively in the 1930s and 1940s, the overwhelming majority of these small houses are brick, but many are of stone or exhibit significant stone detailing. Period Cottages are typically side-gabled dwellings with steep front-facing gables and chimneys on their facades or side gables. A particularly well-preserved example is the Nell and Samuel Bason House at 301 South Elam Avenue. Built in 1935, the one-story, side-gabled brick Period Cottage boasts two overlapping front gables with the smaller gable displaying a catslide roof and an arched entry bay tabbed in granite. Cut granite also decorates the brick façade chimney. The Pattie and James Price House from ca. 1928 is a one-and-a-half-story, side-gabled, brick period cottage with two-front-facing gables. Located at 122 Kensington Road, the house features a Tuscan-columned porch with carved purlins. The ca. 1930 Dorothy and James B. Carter House at 205 Kensington Road is a Period Cottage with Tudor Revival and Colonial Revival elements including a classical tracery fanlight and sidelights at the columned entry. The Matlock House at 206 Kensington Road dates to ca. 1935 and is a sandstoneveneered Period Cottage with stone voussoirs accentuating the arched entry and windows. A false thatched roof enhances the John Lassiter House at 2508 Sylvan Road. Built around 1940, the one-story side-gabled stone Period Cottage with an off-center front-facing gable features a stone chimney on its façade.

Bungalows and Craftsman-style houses are represented in the district. The majority share common characteristics: triangular knee braces, exposed rafter tails, and three-over-one or four-over-one, doublehung sash with the upper lights set in a vertical orientation. Porch supports are most often wood battered posts set on brick plinths. Built in the late 1920s at 301 Kensington Road, the Arminilla and J. Egan NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Baker House is a one-story, front clipped-gable, brick bungalow with a stucco front clipped-gable porch supported by brick posts. Curved purlins accent the gable ends and rafter tails grace the side elevations.

Small Craftsman-style cottages, lacking the wide porch typically seen on bungalows, were built throughout Sunset Hills in the late 1920s. The Hazel and Clarence S. Lambeth House at 205 South Tremont Drive dates to ca. 1927 and is a one-story, brick Craftsman-style house with a prominent frontgabled porch with rafter tails and purlins. Three-over-one Craftsman-style windows remain intact.

Only a few Foursquare houses—often associated with the Craftsman style, but often carrying Colonial Revival-style elements—stand in Sunset Hills and are typically brick or weatherboard and display hipped or pyramidal roofs. The Ora and James P. Dillard House, built around 1927 at 106 Kensington Road, is a brick Foursquare with a green tile roof and full-width, one-story, flat-roofed porch supported by brick posts on brick plinths. Built in 1928, the Nancy and Edgar C. Sutton House at 1801 West Market is a two-story, three-bay, hip-roofed, off-white-colored brick Foursquare with a tile roof and deep overhanging eaves graced with curved brackets. A pent-roof porch with brick supports extends along the façade and wraps around to the west elevation.

From the late 1930s through the 1950s Minimal Traditional-style houses appeared extensively in the neighborhood. These modest one- or one-and-a-half-story, brick, weatherboard, or synthetic-sided, sidegabled dwellings with asymmetrical massing most frequently display front-facing gables and sometimes, but not always, façade chimneys. The largest concentration appeared in the district just after World War II. The houses take certain cues from both the Colonial Revival style and Period Cottage form—most commonly a front-facing gable on a side-gabled house—but lack the verticality of Period Cottages.

The Sunset Hills Historic District contains Ranch and Split Level houses, two styles that took hold in the post-war period and lingered into the 1970s, but not a tremendous number as the neighborhood was mostly built out by the mid-twentieth-century. The 2400 block of Madison Avenue—from North Elam Avenue westward to Lindell Avenue—was platted in the 1950s as a separate development from Sunset Hills. Winston-Salem Hudson Company sold the sixteen parcels through Milliken Realty Company and a group of Ranch and Minimal Traditional-style houses were built. One of the best preserved of the Ranch houses is the house at 2406 Madison Avenue that was built as the parsonage for the First Christian Church. The one-story, eight-bay, hip-roofed, brick house with wide overhanging eaves displays a projecting bay on its façade. A broad brick chimney occupies the west end of the façade.

Some Ranch houses display classical details such as the brick quoins on the ca. 1956 Laura O. and Sol Weinstein House at 209 West Greenway Drive North. The one-and-a-half-story, brick house exhibits a paneled reveal and fluted pilasters at its entrance.

NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Split-Level houses are quite rare in the neighborhood, but the most intact example is the Dare and James Filipski House at 209 North Elam Avenue. Built around 1955, the four-bay, brick, wood-shingle, and Tsided house epitomizes the style that took hold in suburbs throughout the country beginning in the mid-1950s. The entrance is located in the side-gabled wing, while the intersecting one-story-onbasement front gable is sheathed in wood shingles and sits on a high brick foundation. A broad brick chimney that rises from the southwest corner of the side-gabled wing projects forward of the façade.

Very few post-1965 houses stand in Sunset Hills and those that were built after the end of the period of significance display a variety of forms and styles, but most are modern-day revivals of earlier idioms.

The house at 103 East Greenway Drive North dates to 1992 and is a neo-Georgian-style brick dwelling.

A grand, brick French Provincial-style house from 1997 stands on the opposite side of Sunset Park. The house at 300 Kensington Road is neo-Craftsman bungalow built in 2008. The few modern houses in Sunset Hills detract little from the overall integrity of this historic neighborhood.

Inventory



Pages:     | 1 || 3 | 4 |   ...   | 54 |


Similar works:

«Version History Version Release Date Details 7.0 N/A New Features, improvements and fixes. Version 7.0 Upgrade Procedure 1. Upgrading from: Consoles 5.x: For consoles there is no upgrade path from versions prior to 6.0 and so the software must be installed by running a 6.0 recovery stick followed by the 7.0 installer. Y ou can download the 6.0 recovery stick from Avolites v6 Upgrade. Please follow the instructions given when downloading the recovery stick to install version 6.0 and then follow...»

«Historical Papers Research Archive, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg GUIDE TO THE ARCHIVES AND PAPERS (Excluding the archives of the Anglican Church of Southern Africa) Copyright: Historical Papers Research Archive, University of the Witwatersrand Library PREFACE The University of the Witwatersrand has, as one of its most valuable and prestigious heritage and research assets, the holdings of the priceless Historical Papers collections. Historical Papers is the main humanities...»

«Grace Theological Journal 5.2 (1984) 181-195 AQUINAS, LUTHER, MELANCHTHON, AND BIBLICAL APOLOGETICS JONATHAN SELDEN Viewed historically and theologically, the apologetical views of Thomas Aquinas, Martin Luther, and Philip Melanchthon may be understood in terms of a dialectical schema, that is, in relationship to one another these three views fall into the pattern of thesis-antithesissynthesis. If the relationalist apologetic of Aquinas is viewed as a thesis position, then the reformed...»

«‘The Final Struggle’: The Art of the Soviet Death Mask Joy Neumeyer Summer 2015 Joy Neumeyer is a graduate student in the Department of History at the University of California, Berkeley. ‘The Final Struggle’: The Art of the Soviet Death Mask “Death is a highly mediocre portraitist.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe1 The sculptor Sergei Merkurov was working late one night in his Moscow studio, bundled in furs against the winter cold, when the phone rang. The voice on the other end...»

«115 René Hantke und Adrian E. Scheidegger, Alte Talanlagen und eiszeitliche Abflussrinnen RENÉ HANTKE1 und ADRIAN E. SCHEIDEGGER2 Alte Talanlagen und eiszeitliche Abflussrinnen zwischen Bern und Langenthal und zwischen Aare und Sense Zusammenfassung Eine Betrachtung der quartären Landschaftsgeschichte NE und SW von Bern ergibt, dass den randglaziären Tälern zwischen Burgdorf und Langenthal, zwischen Lutzeren–Krauchthal–Oberburg, dem Lindenund dem Bigetal sowie den Tälern zwischen...»

«Linear Personal Emergency Reporting Solutions Systems Kits Tr a n s m i t t e r s Accessories 02 | An Innovative History Linear was established in 1961 as a manufacturer of radio controls. Over the next five decades, an unrelenting dedication to quality has turned it into the most trusted name is everyday technology. To learn more about Linear’s full product line, visit www.linearcorp.com. Long known for pioneering radio frequency in everyday use, Linear now combines passive infrared...»

«an overview of the Bible’s storyline Vern S. Poythress How does the Bible as a whole fit together? The events recorded in the Bible took place over a span of thousands of years and in several different cultural settings. What is their unifying thread? One unifying thread in the Bible is its divine authorship. Every book of the Bible is God’s word. The events recorded in the Bible are there because God wanted them recorded, and he had them recorded with his people and their instruction in...»

«LYRICAL BALLADS Also available from Routledge: A SHORT HISTORY OF ENGLISH LITERATURE Second Edition Harry Blamires ELEVEN BRITISH POETS* An Anthology Edited by Michael Schmidt WILLIAM WORDSWORTH Selected Poetry and Prose Edited by Jennifer Breen SHELLEY Selected Poetry and Prose Edited by Alasdair Macrae * Not available from Routledge in the USA Lyrical Ballads WORDSWORTH AND COLERIDGE The text of the 1798 edition with the additional 1800 poems and the Prefaces edited with introduction, notes...»

«Gemeindeverwaltung Vitznau Die Geschichte der Gemeinde Vitznau Mittlere Höhe 441 m.ü.M. Tiefster Punkt 435 m.ü.M. Seespiegel Höchster Punkt 1’685 m.ü.M. Dossen Einwohnerzahl 1'337 (per 31.12.2015) Die 11 Hotelbetriebe verfügen über 840 Betten. Die privaten Ferienwohnungen über ca. 100 Betten. Der Camping verfügt über 180 Plätze für ca. 450 Personen. Gemeindeteile Mitteldorf, Oberdorf, Altdorf, Ausserdorf, Unterwilen, Vogelsang, Bürglen, Schwanden, Wilen, Hinterbergen, Gruebisbalm...»

«These are transcriptions of typewritten manuscripts which, though unsigned, are undoubtedly by F. W. McNair. The originals can be found in the James Fisher Collection, at the Michigan Technological University (MTU) Archives and Copper Country Historical Collection, on the campus of MTU. The first article appeared, with minor changes, in the Mining and Scientific Press, 14 July 1906. The second, which is undated and includes handwritten corrections, may be an earlier draft and/or notes for...»

«Kapitler af K0BMAGERGADES HISTORIE HENRY HELLSSEN Kapitler af K0BMAGERGADES HISTORIE 1850 II.JUNI 1950 J UNR. L. LEVI SON AKTIESELSKAB Indhold Et Vandløb siver mod Stranden............................. I Rokokomaleren og Olympens Gudeverden................... 13 Hos Ludvig Holberg i Sukkerbagerens Bod................... 15 Hans Holck, de fattiges Tolk.............................. 19 Enkefru Mozart og...»

«Sterling’s Past, Dollar’s Future: Historical Perspectives on Reserve Currency Competition1 Barry Eichengreen University of California, Berkeley April 2005 One can hardly pick up a financial newspaper these days without seeing a story on the dollar’s impending loss of international preeminence. This may simply reflect the instinctual tendency for financial journalists to find a seat on the nearest bandwagon and ride it for all it is worth. As Mark Twain might have said, reports of the...»





 
<<  HOME   |    CONTACTS
2017 www.thesis.dislib.info - Online materials, documents

Materials of this site are available for review, all rights belong to their respective owners.
If you do not agree with the fact that your material is placed on this site, please, email us, we will within 1-2 business days delete him.