«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»
Contributing Building The two-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style house features fluted posts and pilasters supporting a front-gabled portico with a gabled soffit. The portico shelters a blind fanlight surmounting a paneled wood door with sidelights. Windows are six-over-one and topped with soldiercourse lintels. A brick chimney rises from the south gable end of the main block. An open porch on the north gable end was screened in the 1940s and enclosed around 1955. At that time, the second story was added to the side-gabled enclosed porch. The south elevation wing is now sheathed in vinyl siding and fitted with casement windows and three-over-one sash. Also in the 1950s, the kitchen and den were extended on the rear elevation. The interior follows a center hall plan. According to the current owners, when Mary and Edwin Earle Rives built the house in 1927, it was the only one on the block. Judge Rives got the nickname “Scrubby” because he lacked the speed and size to play football at the University of North Carolina. Instead, he became a cheerleader at the school. The couple lived here with their three children, Frances, Earle Jr., and Rose. When the 1940 census was taken, Frances Tankersley, the ninety-eight-year-old grandmother of Mary, and Gertrude Tankersley, Mary’s sister-in-law, were living with the family. Household help reported in the census included Lillie Mae Jackson, a maid, and a chauffeur named Howard Carter. Mr. and Mrs.
Garage405 West Greenway Drive North Contributing Building
A one-story, side-gabled, two-bay, vinyl-sided garage stands in the rear yard. It contains a one-room butler’s quarters. According to the children of the original owners, the first butler to occupy the quarters was Ed Marsh, followed by George Washington Hart, known as “Little George” because of his stature.
The butlers lived in the garage quarters in the summer and the basement during the cold winter months.
The two-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style house exhibits a front-gabled portico graced with dentils and supported by Tuscan columns and fluted pilasters. The portico shelters a blind, sunburst-motif fanlight that surmounts a paneled wood door flanked by sidelights. A nine-light oculus pierces the brick wall above the portico. The paired windows on the first floor façade are an unusual four-over-six configuration and topped with soldier-course lintels; other windows throughout are sixover-six. A brick chimney rises from the south gable end and through the roof of a one-story, sidegabled screened porch. According to the 1936 city directory, Naomi Hennessee was a secretary at American Optical Company and Valentine Hennessee worked as a pricer at Justice Drug Company.
Deeds indicate that the Hennessees bought the lot in September 1935 and sold the property in 1944. Mr.
Hennessee was born in New Orleans in 1897 and died in Greensboro in 1971. The 1940 census recorded two couples who boarded with the Hennessees: Ethel and Jesse Seawell and Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Lashley.
Garage 407 West Greenway Drive North ca. 2011 Noncontributing Building A one-and-a-half-story, two-bay, side-gabled, synthetic-sided garage stands in the rear yard.
Julia W. and William D. Chandler House 409 West Greenway Drive North ca. 1940 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, aluminum-sided Minimal Traditional house features an off-center, front-facing wing. A shed-roofed hood shelters a recessed paneled wood door with sidelights.
Windows are replacement six-over-six, except in the façade’s bay window, which contains a replacement eight-over-eight. A pair of dormers rest on the front roof slope, while a brick chimney occupies the north gable end, forward of the roof ridge. Mr. Chandler was district manager of Durham Life Insurance Company of Raleigh, N. C.
Garage 409 West Greenway Drive North ca. 1940 Contributing Building
Marie and Raymond Brown House 411 West Greenway Drive North ca. 1940 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Cape Cod dwelling with a dentil cornice displays an elaborate classical entry composed of grouped chamfered wood posts supporting a molded cornice with dentils above a scrollwork frieze. The portico shelters a paneled wood door topped by a transom.
Soldier-course lintels top the main block’s six-over-six windows; those on the façade surmount paneled aprons. Two synthetic-sided dormers exhibit scrolled ornament above their sash. Brick chimneys rise from the north and south gable ends, which are sheathed in aluminum siding. A one-story, one-bay, sidegabled, brick wing extends from the rear (western) portion of the south gable end. According to the 1940 city directory, Raymond Brown was manager of the Crane Company, a supplier of plumbing equipment.
West Greenway Drive South Preston and Clement L. Yancey House 106 West Greenway Drive South ca. 1935 Contributing Building The two-story, five-bay, side-gabled with returns, brick Colonial Revival-style house displays a frontgabled entrance portico supported by Tuscan columns and square pilasters and graced with dentil molding along the cornice. The portico shelters a classical entrance composed of a blind wood fanlight surmounting a paneled wood door framed by pilasters and sidelights. Windows are six-over-six and on the first level framed by cast stone keystones set in flat arches and header-course brick sills. Dentil molding extends along the roof's cornice on the facade. Brick chimneys rise from the north and south ends of the two-story main block. A side-gabled brick garage with a center front gable surmounting a pair of garage doors is attached to the north gable end. It appears to date to around 2005. An original one-story, side-gabled screened porch graced with columns like those on the portico is attached to the south gable end. Its south gable end is sheathed in hardboard and is pierced by an octagonal, louvered vent. A synthetic-sided addition has been built on the rear of the porch, while a large gabled brick addition with north elevation dormers is located on the rear of the attached garage. Preston and Clement Yancey bought the property in April 1935 and first appear at this address in the 1937 city directory. He was a salesman. The Yancey family owned the house until 1983.
NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Frances and Edwin Pearce House 108 West Greenway Drive South Contributing Building The one-and-a-half story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick house is composed of two blocks, both side gabled, with the roof of the northern section slightly higher than the south block that contains the entrance. Half-circular steps flanked by metal railings lead to a paneled wood door set in a one-bay projection. This block also features a pair of weatherboard, front-gabled dormers with six-over-six windows. A bellcast, standing seam metal roof tops a three-sided bay window with eight-over- twelve sash located to the north (right) of the entrance. A corbelled brick chimney rises between the two sidegabled blocks, forward of the roof ridges. A shed-roofed wing with hardboard siding is located on the south elevation. Windows throughout are six-over-six. Triangular vents atop hardboard siding crown the main gable ends. A large shed-roofed dormer is located on the rear elevation. The Pearces bought the property in November 1937 and first appear at this address in the 1938 city directory. He was a lawyer.
They sold the house in 1955. The current owners, Barbara and Joseph Blowe, have owned the house since 1970.
Garage 108 West Greenway Drive South Contributing Building A one-story, front-gable, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard facing south.
Olive and Frederick Walker House 200 West Greenway Drive South ca. 1930 Contributing Building The two-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Tudor Revival-style house displays a projecting, off-center, two-story, front gable with an asymmetrical roof line. Half timbering fills the gable ends, while synthetic siding sheathes the front gable. A Tudor-style, batten wood door with a rectangular window with diamond-shaped muntins is set in a header-course Tudor arch centered on a one-story, front-gabled projection with flared eaves. A two-story, hipped metal-roofed addition on the north elevation is finished with stucco and half timbering on its upper level and large expanses of glass on the first floor. An exterior brick chimney rises from the gable end on the rear elevation and through the roof of an open, hip-roofed carport. A shed-roofed, brick addition and a hip-roofed stucco addition are also located on NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) the rear elevation. All windows are replacement six-over-six sash. The Walkers bought the property from A. K. Moore Realty in September 1929 and first appear at this address in the 1930 city directory.
At that time he was a salesman for Ebroclo Shirt Company. Virginia and John Forbis have owned the house since 1971.
Sallie and Grover Mumford House 202 West Greenway Drive South ca. 1939 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style house displays a classical entrance composed of an arched pediment with dentils and fluted pilasters framing a recessed paneled wood door. Concrete steps flanked by metal railings lead to the concrete stoop. A wide frieze extends along the façade over the eight-over-eight windows framed by soldier-course lintels. A pair of frontgabled weatherboard-sided dormers with six-over-six windows rests on the front roof slope. A brick chimney rises from the north end of the main roof line and through the roof ridge of a one-story screened porch with wood panels below the screens and square posts supporting the side-gabled roof. A one-story, side-gabled, brick, one-bay garage with a paneled wood garage door and a paneled wood and a single-leaf entry is located on the south gable end. Windows throughout are eight-over-eight. The Mumfords are the earliest known occupants, first appearing at this address in the 1939 city directory.
Sallie Mumford worked as a laboratory technician for the city health department.
House203 West Greenway Drive South Noncontributing Building
The one-story, irregularly-massed, cross-gabled dwelling sheathed in synthetic shingles features a prominent front gable with a wide, double-shouldered stuccoed interior chimney. A shed-roofed projecting bay has multi-light windows with multi-light transoms. A steeply-pitched, side-gabled roof with a shed- roofed dormer tops a garage to the south of the front gable. A shed-roofed overhang fronts the garage and is supported by large wood posts. The entrance, composed of a paneled wood door, is situated in a recess located between the front-gabled block and garage.
The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style house features an inset porch sheltering a paneled wood and multi-light door with diamond muntins. Two short flights of brick steps—one with metal railings flanking both sides and the other with railing on one side—lead to the porch, whose roof is supported on its southeast corner by simple square posts. The north half of the façade is just slightly projecting. An oriel window just south of the entrance is supported by curved brackets. A pair of synthetic-sided dormers rest on the front roof slope, while an interior corbelled brick chimney rises from the roof ridge. A southeast corner porch is inset under the lower roofline of the southern third of the house. Its interior is sheathed in synthetic siding. Windows throughout are replacement six-over-six. A front-gabled garage with synthetic siding is attached to the rear of the south elevation by a short side-gabled, enclosed hyphen containing a wood and multi-light door and a window.
The Becks bought the property in July 1938 and first appear at this address in the 1939 city directory. He was secretary-treasurer of George F. Daly Inc., a Dodge and Plymouth automobile and truck dealer.
Minnie and Benson Kimrey House 205 West Greenway Drive South ca. 1929 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style dwelling features a frontgabled, one-story, pedimented portico with dentils on its cornice and a wreath and swag motif in the tympanum. Tuscan columns and square pilasters support the portico that shelters a paneled wood door topped with a semi-elliptical fanlight and fronted with a half-glazed storm door with a Chippendale lower panel. Concrete steps lead to the concrete stoop forward of the door. Six-over-six windows are framed by granite keystones set in header-course segmental brick arches and flat, granite sills. Three front-gabled dormers appear to be sheathed in lapped wood siding. Brick chimneys occupy each gable end; the south chimney rises through the roof of a one-story, shed-roofed screened porch. The Kimreys bought the property in July 1928 and first appear at this address in the 1930 city directory. Minnie Kimrey worked as a dressmaker and he was a salesman for Holland Radio and Appliance Company.