WWW.THESIS.DISLIB.INFO
FREE ELECTRONIC LIBRARY - Online materials, documents
 
<< HOME
CONTACTS



Pages:     | 1 |   ...   | 19 | 20 || 22 | 23 |   ...   | 54 |

«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»

-- [ Page 21 ] --

Myrtice and Linton Overstreet House 206 West Greenway Drive South ca. 1940 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled with returns, brick Colonial Revival-style house has a front-gabled portico supported by simple square porch posts. The portico rests on a brick stoop and shelters a multi-light door with a lower wood panel that is framed by a band of decorative projecting NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) soldier-course brick and projecting brick pilasters. A two-bay shed dormer spans a majority of the front roof slope; an identical dormer occupies the rear roof slope. It, along with the gable ends, and the exterior of the one-story, side-gabled sunroom are sheathed in synthetic siding. Windows throughout are eight-over-eight and appear to be replacement vinyl. A brick chimney occupies the south end of the main block and extends through the roof of the sunroom. An ell extends from the rear elevation. The Overstreets are the earliest known occupants and appear at this address in the 1940 city directory. He was treasurer-manager of Rustin Furniture Company.

Garage 206 West Greenway Drive South ca. 1940 Contributing Building A one-story, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.

Alice and Fred Showfety House 207 West Greenway Drive South ca. 1940 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style dwelling exhibits a classical entrance composed of fluted pilasters and stylized triglyphs framing a paneled wood and glazed door. Soldier-course lintels top the eight-over-eight windows that surmount vinyl-clad skirts. Vinyl also sheathes the four front-gabled dormers containing replacement six-over-six windows. A corbeled chimney rises from the south gable end of the main block and through the ridge of a one-story, side-gabled wing with replacement six-over-six windows. Gable ends of the main block are crowned with triangular louvered wood vents. The rear elevation features a hip-roofed dormer. The Showfetys bought the property in April 1939. The 1940 city directory lists the house as vacant, but in the 1941 directory, the Showfetys are the occupants. He owned N. C. Grill and Soda Shop. The family owned the house until 1998.

Kelles-Hodge House 300 West Greenway Drive South ca. 1941 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick, Colonial Revival-influenced dwelling features a flat-roofed portico supported by slender wood Tuscan columns and pilasters and sheltering a classical entrance NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) composed of fluted pilasters, a paneled frieze, and a molded cornice framing a molded wood door with small lights at its top. Two sets of concrete steps with metal railings and divided by a curving concrete sidewalk lead to the brick porch with a metal balustrade. A one-story, one-bay-wide wing on the north elevation is sheathed in hardboard siding. A paneled wood and two-light door pierces the rear elevation of the wing. Hardboard siding also sheathes the main gable ends. An interior brick chimney rises from just forward of the roof ridge. A brick wall separates the backyard from the sidewalk. Irene and Louis Kelles bought the property in 1943, although they first appear at this address in the 1942 city directory.

It is possible the house was built by D. D. Beane, who owned the property from 1941 until he sold it to the Kelleses in 1943. Mr. Kelles was manager for the Mecca Café. In 1946, the Kelleses sold the property to Linda and Emile Hodge; the Hodge family continues to own the house.

Garage 300 West Greenway Drive South ca. 1941 Contributing Building A one-story, front-gabled garage with synthetic siding and a replacement garage bay door stands in the rear yard facing north.

Maurine and Joseph Wright House 301 West Greenway Drive South ca. 1940 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style dwelling features a classical entrance composed of fluted pilasters and a projecting cornice. Brick steps with flanking metal railings lead to a brick stoop forward of the paneled wood door recessed behind a plain reveal. Two small, four-light deep-set windows with wood shutters flank the entrance. Dentils grace the cornice of the façade. Three front-gabled weatherboard dormers contain six-over-six windows framed by fluted pilasters. Other windows are eight-over-eight and six-over-six. A brick chimney with flanking triangular wood louvered vents rises from the north elevation of the main block and extends through the roof of a shed-roofed, brick wing that features a three-part window on its north elevation and a six-over-six window in its façade. A one-story, side-gabled wing with a deep-set, six-sided window on its façade occupies the south elevation. Synthetic siding sheathes the gable ends. The rear elevation displays three dormers identical to those on the façade, a small shed-roofed, one-bay extension, and French doors at the center of the elevation. The Wrights bought the property in December 1939, but do not appear at this address until the 1943 city directory. He was a buyer. They sold the house in 1952.

NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Unaleah and James P. Hamel House 302 West Greenway Drive South ca. 1940 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, aluminum-sided Colonial Revival-style house with a wide frontgabled portico displays a triangular-headed louvered vent set in synthetic sheathing in its front gable and square wood support posts. The classical entrance is composed of a replacement wood door with an elongated etched glass opaque window framed by pilasters and a molded cornice above a plain frieze.





Concrete steps flank concrete steps that lead to the brick porch. A pair of front-gabled dormers contains six-over-six windows. Other windows are six--over-six and eight-over-eight. A brick chimney rises from the north elevation forward of the roof ridge. The Hamels are the earliest known occupants and first appear at this address in the 1941 city directory. He was president of Southeastern Mortgage Company.

Grace and George Cornwell House 304 West Greenway Drive South ca. 1935 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled with returns, brick Colonial Revival-influenced house displays a flat-roofed porch graced with dentils and supported by decorative metal posts and matching brackets. It shelters a classical entrance composed of fluted pilasters resting on a brick stoop and framing a paneled wood door containing two upper lights. A shed-roofed hood supported by scrolled brackets tops an entrance on the north elevation. Hardboard siding sheathes both gable ends and an interior corbelled chimney rises from the rear roof slope. A one-story, side-gabled wing sheathed in hardboard occupies a portion of the south elevation. A gabled ell extends from the rear. The Cornwells bought the property in February 1938 and first appear at this address in the 1939 city directory. He was manager of Armour and Company. They sold the house in 1959.

Ruth and John Graves House305 West Greenway Drive Southca. 1929Contributing Building

The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled with returns, brick Colonial Revival-style influenced dwelling exhibits a prominent, projecting front gable with returns supported by square posts and pilasters with caps and bases. An arched-head louvered vent pierces the front gable that shelters a paneled wood door NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) and a pair of six-over-one windows. A small arched louvered vent is located on the front roof slope.

Windows throughout are six-over-one and framed with soldier-course lintels and header- course sills.

Chimneys rise from the south gable end, forward of the roof ridge, and from the rear roof slope. A hiproofed entry porch sheathed in tongue-and-groove siding and pierced by tall narrow lights is located on the rear of the north elevation. A gabled ell extends from the rear. The Graves bought the property from A. K. Moore Realty in November 1928 and first appear at this address in the 1929 city directory. He was an engineer for Southern Railway. The Graves family owned the house until 1970.

Aileen and Charles Tennyson House 306 West Greenway Drive South ca. 1959 Contributing Building The one-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick, Colonial Revival-influenced dwelling composed of two side-gabled blocks with the north section positioned slightly forward of the south block. The dwelling displays an off-center classical entrance composed of pilasters supporting a molded cornice and framing a paneled wood door with two upper lights. Brick steps flanked by metal railings lead to a brick stoop.

An interior end chimney extends through the roof forward of the roof ridge at the north end. Gables are sheathed in synthetic siding and topped with a triangular, louvered wood vent. Windows throughout are eight-over-eight. A shed dormer is located on the rear roof slope. The Tennysons bought the property in 1959 and first appear at this address in the 1960 city directory. At the time they built the house, he was in sales at Bethlehem Steel Company. They continue to own the house.

Edith and William H. Sullivan Jr. House 308 West Greenway Drive South ca. 1940 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Cape Cod house displays an elaborate entrance.

A flat roof surmounts a wood cornice with dentils and decorative scrollwork at its base. Fluted pilasters that frame the recessed paneled wood door containing a multi-light transom support the cornice. On the façade, replacement eight-over-one windows are topped with flat brick arches; aprons under façade windows are sheathed in vinyl. A pair of front-gabled dormers contains six-over-one windows and is sheathed in synthetic siding. Hardboard siding sheathes the gable ends; the ends of the main roof are crowned by triangular louvered vents. A sided-gabled wing occupies a portion of the north gable end.

Synthetic siding covers this wing; it, too, has a vent at the crown of its gable end. A south exterior end chimney is situated forward of the roof ridge and extends through the roof of the side-gabled open porch that is supported by slender wood posts. A shed- roofed dormer with synthetic siding occupies the rear NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) elevation. William H. Sullivan Jr. bought the property in 1940 and likely built this house soon thereafter.

The 1941 city directory indicates that Abraham Cohan, a renter, occupied the house. The same city directory lists William H. Sullivan Jr. as unmarried and living with his parents, Grace and William H.

Sullivan at 200 East Greenway Drive North. By the time the 1941 city directory was published, William Sullivan Jr., his wife Edith, and their child were living at this address. Sullivan worked for his father’s company, W. H. Sullivan Inc., a heating and air conditioning company. The Sullivans sold the house in 1958.

Garage 308 West Greenway Drive South ca. 1940 Contributing Building A one-story, front-gable, garage with synthetic siding stands in the rear yard facing south.

Kensington Road House 105 Kensington Road ca. 1965 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, cross-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional house features an off-center, front gable sheathed in vinyl and pierce by a round, vinyl vent. A portion of the overhang of the front gable shelters the concrete stoop and the entrance, which is fronted with a wood, louvered door. Triangular, wood, louvered vents crown the gable ends. Windows are eight-over-eight.

Garage 105 Kensington Road ca. 1970 Noncontributing Building One-story, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard. Its single bay is fronted by a modern replacement door.

–  –  –

ca. 1927 Contributing Building The two-story, three-bay, brick Foursquare with a green tile hipped roof exhibits a full-width, one-story, flat-roofed porch supported by brick posts on brick plinths and topped by a metal balustrade. Paired nine-over-one windows surmounted by soldier-course lintels flank a paneled wood and multi-light door;

windows throughout are nine-over-one, however a small window on the second floor façade is six-oversix. A band of soldier-course brick extends horizontally just below the roof cornice. A centered roundarched, louvered wood vent rests on the front roof slope, while a large brick chimney rises from the rear roof slope. A one-story, one-bay, brick wing with a flat roof is located on the south elevation. It too displays the band of soldier-course brick below its cornice. The Dillards bought the property in June

1926. He was a traveling salesman. They sold the house in 1940.

Mary and Claude Teague House107 Kensington Roadca. 1930Contributing Building

The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage displays an off-center, frontfacing gable with returns and a smaller front gable over the entrance. A façade chimney rises through roof. A new shed- roofed porch supported by square posts extends along two bays of the façade. The brick-floored porch has a wood balustrade with square balusters. The porch shelters a paneled wood door set in a projecting brick arch surround. Three casement windows are set in the center of the façade.

A four-light window with a soldier-course lintel and header-course sill pierces the upper area of the larger gable. A shed-roofed dormer with a four-light window rests on the front roof slope. Other windows are six-over-six. Half-timbering sheathes the gable ends. A gabled ell extends from the rear.

The Teagues, who appear at this address in the 1931 city directory, are the earliest known occupants;

they did not own the house. He was the business manager for the North Carolina College for Women.

Hazel and James Hutton House108 Kensington Roadca. 1927Contributing Building



Pages:     | 1 |   ...   | 19 | 20 || 22 | 23 |   ...   | 54 |


Similar works:

«INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION OF UNIVERSITY WOMEN REPORT OF THE THIRTY-FIRST CONFERENCE and of the 92ND & 93ND COUNCIL MEETINGS Istanbul, Turkey August 2013 Since 1920, IFUW has published a record of Conferences, Councils and other important meetings. The Blue Book, as it is currently called, provides an on-going history of IFUW. From 2014 onwards, IFUW will produce an annual report. This edition is essentially a report on the 31st Conference, the 92nd and 93rd Councils, and the activities of the...»

«The history of English David Crystal Text preparedfor the BBC Voices project website, November 2004. Origins Despite a widespread belief to the contrary, the British Isles have always been multilingual. The society which the Anglo-Saxons joined, in the fifth century, was linguistically highly varied. Our main source of information is Bede's Ecclesiastical History of the English Nation, written around 730, which opens with a statement recognizing the existence of a multi-ethnic and multilingual...»

«Articles William Tyndale and His Promoters Akiko IKEDA Historians tend to find the origin of nationalism or imperialism of England in the sixteenth century, which would become efflorescent in the nineteenth century. One of the crucial issues during and before that era was the dawn of the English Bible and the Reformation. The English Bible owes mostly to William Tyndale (c. 1494-1536) who translated the Bible into an early form of Modern English and holds the distinction of being the first man...»

«Issue 16: William Tyndale: Early Reformer & Bible Translator William Tyndale: From the Publisher How pleased we are to devote an issue to William Tyndale! His name is vaguely familiar to many modern Christians, but the majority of details about his fascinating life are familiar only to church history and literary scholars. Yet we will see with him, as we’ve seen with others treated in Christian History, that though he founded no modern movement, he nonetheless profoundly influenced our...»

«A New Vision of the Copts of Egypt Kyoto Bulletin of Islamic Area Studies, 8 (March 2015), pp. 103–140 A New Vision of the Copts of Egypt: State Policy and Inner Difficulties (1948–1957): In Light of US State Department Documents Noha Osman Azmy* and Louay Mahmoud Saied** Introduction The term Copt originally came from the Greek word Aiguptos meaning “Egyptian.” It became synonymous in Egypt with native Christians since the Arab conquest.1 The Copts are the largest Christian community...»

«John Chrysostom: Legendary Early Church Preacher Christian History Magazine ISSUE 44 Contents Did You Know? From the Editor—Admiring the Fire Golden Tongue and Iron Will The Gallery—Politicos, Pagans, and the Pious The Christian History Timeline—John Chrysostom The Genius of Chrysostom’s Preaching Cured by the Masters of Angels Letters from a Lonely Exile Culture Wars More Than a Great Preacher Adoring the Ineffable Recommended Resources—John Chrysostom Did You Know? Little-known and...»

«Jalen’s Heir John Murphy c Draft compiled March 6, 2004 Contents Chapters i Part One: Ari ii 1 The Siege of Mediter 1 2 Revelation 19 3 A New Start 37 4 A Moment’s Rest 51 5 Clippings 71 6 The Calm of March 79 7 Spring Storms 93 8 Preparations 107 9 Violence 121 10 The Article 135 Part Two: Dane 146 11 Flight of the Magician 149 12 Kendauer 163 i 13 Akrostira, On Foot 175 14 Changes 191 15 The Storm Approaches 199 16 A Night On The Town 207 17 A Change of Policy 227 18 History I 239 19...»

«Educational Policy http://epx.sagepub.com/ Correcting the Record: Understanding the History of Federal Intervention and Failure in Securing U.S. Educational Reform Matthew J. Hirschland and Sven Steinmo Educational Policy 2003 17: 343 DOI: 10.1177/0895904803017003003 The online version of this article can be found at: http://epx.sagepub.com/content/17/3/343 Published by: http://www.sagepublications.com On behalf of: Politics of Education Association Additional services and information for...»

«Contact: Matthew Passmore, Principal Rebar Art & Design Studio PRESS RESOURCES 415-676-9035 media@parkingday.org This collection of resources is designed to help you to convey the history, background and essence of Park(ing) Day. For your convenience, we have provided: PARKING DAY PRESS RELEASE Provides current information and background on Park(ing) Day 201. A great start for a basic overview. PRESS ARTICLES We have provided our articles that show past precedents for coverage of Park(ing)...»

«Biology 18 Spring 2008 Lab 1 Natural Selection in the Goldenrod Gall Fly System: Effects of Predators and Parasites Week 1: What is natural selection and how can we measure it?Objectives: • Understand the concepts of natural selection, heritable variation, and selection pressures • Become familiar with the experimental system in which we will measure natural selection (read this lab and the Natural History article “Just Lookin’ for a Home” which is posted on Blackboard before you come...»

«Camden Professorship of Ancient History in association with Brasenose College The University intends to appoint a Camden Professor of Ancient History (specifically in the field of Roman History) with effect from 1 October 2011 or as soon as possible thereafter. The Camden Professorship of Ancient History, which will fall vacant upon the retirement of Professor A K Bowman, is the University’s leading position in Roman history. Its holder will give leadership within a Classics faculty that is...»

«Chapter 1 Introduction 1.1 Background The collaboration that occurred between the Japanese military administration and local communities during World War II (WWII) was arguably a hallmark in the history of the Empire of Japan. As an Asian colonial power amid powerful European empires, the Japanese Empire was an anomaly in modern history.1 Although it expanded during the height of the imperialism and was largely patterned after the tropical empires of modern European powers, the Japanese Empire...»





 
<<  HOME   |    CONTACTS
2017 www.thesis.dislib.info - Online materials, documents

Materials of this site are available for review, all rights belong to their respective owners.
If you do not agree with the fact that your material is placed on this site, please, email us, we will within 1-2 business days delete him.