«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»
The two-story, three-bay, brick and weatherboard Dutch Colonial Revival style dwelling with a gambrel roof displays a front-gabled open pediment with returns and wood consoles as support. It shelters a tripartite doorway with a semi-elliptical fanlight and fluted pilasters framing multi-light and paneled wood sidelights. Brick plinths with concrete caps extend along the front of a patio that extends along the NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) south side end of the facade. Windows throughout are six-over-one. A one-story, flat-roofed sunroom with classical cornerposts and supports occupies the south gable end. A brick chimney occupies the south exterior gable end. A short gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. The Hutton purchased the property in April 1926. He was the district manager of Monroe Calculator-Machine Company.
Garage 108 Kensington Road ca. 1980 Noncontributing Building A one-and-a-half-story, side-gabled garage with six-over-six windows stands in the rear yard.
Hardboard siding sheathes the garage.
Louise and Henry Foust House 109 Kensington Road ca. 1927 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, front-gabled Craftsman bungalow with vinyl siding includes a front-gabled, partial-width porch with an upper louvered vent. It is supported by battered posts on battered coursed granite plinths; forward of the remainder of the façade, the posts on plinths support a pergola that shelters the continuation of the porch floor. A multi-light front door is flanked by multi-light sidelights.
French doors pierce the façade on each side of the entrance. A coursed granite chimney is located on the north elevation. Near the dwelling's rear, side-gabled wings intersect. The Fousts bought the property in August 1926 and first appear in the city directory in 1928. He was a general agent for Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company. They owned the house into the 1930s.
Garage 109 Kensington Road ca. 1927 Contributing Building A one-story, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.
The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled with returns, brick Colonial Revival-style dwelling has a classical full height portico supported by narrow Ionic columns whose bases rest of the concrete and brick porch floor. Dentils grace the upper portico and a medallion and garland motif enriches the tympanum. Square pilasters frame the wood-sided portion of the façade sheltered by the portico. Pilasters supporting a molded cornice frame the paneled wood door with upper arched lights. The six-over-one windows are topped with flat arches. A brick chimney rises from the interior of the south side of the house, just behind the roof ridge. A side-gabled brick projection is located on the north elevation, but is set back from the façade. A gabled ell extends from the year elevation. The Carters bought the property in January 1935 and likely built the house soon thereafter. He was a clerk at Jefferson Standard Life Insurance Company in the 1930s. The family owned the house until 1989.
Garage 110 Kensington Road ca. 1935 Contributing Building One-story, side-gabled weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.
Hassie and John Markham House 113 Kensington Road ca. 1928 Contributing Building The two-story, three-bay, truncated hip-roofed, brick, Colonial Revival-style dwelling displays a bracketed cornice. A classical portico supported by fluted Doric columns and pilasters is centered on the facade. The flat-roofed portico is topped by a turned balustrade with short, bold, square, corner balusters and graced with molded brackets. The brick porch floor extends the width of the façade and wraps around to the north elevation where a porch with a crowning balustrade is situated. The balustrade displays the same corner posts, but simple square balusters. This porch, like the front portico, has curved brackets along its cornices and fluted columns and pilasters for support, except at the northwest (front) corner where a brick post supports the post. A one-story wing on the south elevation has the same crowning balustrade as the north porch, as well as the molded brackets on its cornice. It is enclosed with six-over-one windows. Windows elsewhere on the house are eight-over-one. The Markhams bought the property in December 1927 and likely built the house soon thereafter. He was a structural engineer.
They family owned the house until 1980.
113 Kensington Road ca. 1928 Contributing Building A one-story, hip-roofed garage stands in the rear yard.
Shed 113 Kensington Road ca. 1928 Contributing Building A gabled-roof brick shed with rafter tails stands in the rear yard.
Mozelle and Oliver D. Nelson House 114 Kensington Road ca. 1926 Contributing Building The two-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style dwelling displays a green tile roof and a full-width, one-story, truncated hip-roofed porch is supported by paired fluted columns. A wood balustrade with bold square posts tops the porch to create an upper balcony. Brick steps flanked by metal railings lead to the porch where a paneled wood and multi-light door is topped by a row of soldiercourse bricks. Paired six-over-one windows, topped with the same brick course, flank the door. A band of soldier-course bricks extend just below the cornice. A pair of front-gabled stuccoed dormers with returns and nine-light windows rest on the front roof slope. Windows throughout are six-over-one. A brick chimney rises from the south gable end through the roof of the one-story, brick sunroom wing.
Like the main porch it has a truncated hip roof with the same wood balustrade. A multi-light door is centered on the façade of the sunroom and is flanked with six-over-one windows. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. A brick retaining wall extends along the front and driveway. The Nelsons bought the property in May 1926; he worked for Manson Insurance Agency. They sold the house in 1930.
Garage 114 Kensington Road ca. 1926 Contributing Building
Pearl Corbett House 115 Kensington Road ca. 1950 Noncontributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, front-gabled, brick house is sheathed with aluminum siding on the upper floor.
A front-gable portico is sheathed in aluminum siding and supported by replacement metal columns. An open vestibule is centered on the façade. Small open porches are located on the north and south elevations. Windows are replacement sliders and replacement one-over-one. Pearl Corbett bought the property in 1950 and sold it in 1975. She was a dressmaker.
Garage 115 Kensington Road ca. 1950 Contributing Building A one-story, front-gabled, weatherboard garage with knee braces and exposed rafter tails stands in the rear yard. An open bay spans the façade.
Mamie and Marvin Cecil House 116 Kensington Road ca. 1927 Contributing Building The two-story, five-bay, truncated hipped-roof, brick Colonial Revival-style dwelling displays curved stuccoed eaves. Fluted columns and pilasters support a bellcast standing-seam metal roofed portico. It shelters a multi-light door and six-over-one windows. The porch floor extends to form a partial-width brick patio. Windows throughout are six-over-one. A corbelled brick chimney rises from the rear roof slope. Brick posts support the porte-cochere on the north elevation. A hip-roofed ell extends from the rear elevation. A low brick retaining wall extends from along the sidewalk, turns, and borders the driveway. The Cecils bought the property from A. K. Moore Realty in April 1927. He was a building contractor.
A hip-roofed garage stands in the rear yard. Only its roof is visible.
Ethel and Alex M. Arnett House 117 Kensington Road ca. 1927 Contributing Building The two-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick, Colonial Revival-style house displays a front-gabled pedimented portico supported by replacement metal columns and fluted wood pilasters. Brick steps with flanking metal balustrades lead to a brick porch forward of the paneled wood door with multi-light sidelights. Windows are six-over-six. A two-story addition on the south elevation is stepped back from the façade and features a fully-glazed door and tall, narrow windows on the lower level. A chimney rises between the south gable end of the main block and the north end of the addition. The Arnetts bought the property in April 1927. He was an instructor at North Carolina College for Women. They sold the house in 1945.
Adele and S. Edgar Holden House118 Kensington Roadca. 1935Contributing Building
The one-and-a-half-story, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage exhibits a prominent front gable brick chimney and a classical entrance. Granite stones are placed randomly in the brick field. Brick steps with metal railing on one side front the swan's neck pediment supported by pilasters. A multi-light transom tops a replacement door with wood panels below a half-circle, divided-light window. The entrance is set in a projecting front gable with a catslide roof. The more prominent front gable features triangular louvered wood vents flanking the chimney with granite accents. The upper story six-over-six windows flanking the porch are topped with a brick keystone and a segmental arch. The same arch and keystone are found on the other façade windows. Large brick posts support the hip-roofed screened porch on the southeast (front) corner. Shed dormers rest on the front roof slope. The Holdens bought the property in May 1935 and likely built the house soon thereafter. He worked for Greensboro Dental Laboratory.
They sold the house in 1944.
A front-gabled, German-sided garage stands in the rear yard. A replacement door fronts its single bay.
Ruth and Roderick Buie House 119 Kensington Road ca. 1950 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick, Minimal Traditional house displays a frontgabled portico with a vaulted soffit and is supported by fluted wood posts. Brick steps lead to the brick stoop forward of the paneled wood door. Two newer, front-gabled dormers with eight-over-eight windows and sheathed in synthetic siding rest on the front roof slope; the north dormer contains two windows, while a single window fills the south dormer. Windows throughout are six-over-six and eightover-eight. A brick chimney rises from the north gable end, forward of the roof ridge while a smaller chimney rises from the interior, behind the roof ridge at the south end of the main block. A shed dormer occupies the rear roof slope. The Buies likely built the house around 1951; they first appear at this address in the 1951-1952 city directory. He was a physician. The couple’s daughter-in-law and son, Betty and Roderick Buie Jr. lived in Sunset Hills in the early 1950s. The younger Buie, also a physician, lived on Madison Avenue.
Garage 119 Kensington Road ca. 1990 Noncontributing Building A front-gabled garage with synthetic siding, a single garage bay, and a six-over-six window on its façade stands in the rear yard facing south. A smaller six-over-six window pierces the upper front gable.
Cretie and Ernest Pritchett House 120 Kensington Road ca. 1928 Contributing Building The two-story, two-bay, hip-roofed, brick, Colonial Revival-style house exhibits a one-story, full-width, low-pitched, hip-roofed porch supported by Tuscan columns. The porch shelters an off-center multilight door with sidelights and three, grouped six-over-six windows. Windows, all of which are six-oversix, and the doorway are topped with soldier-course bricks with header-course brick sills. A brick chimney rises from the rear, interior roof. The deep eaves are finished in tongue and groove. A second NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) story sheathed in vinyl siding has been added to a one-story brick wing on the south elevation. An original, two-story, hip-roofed side wing is located on the rear of the north elevation. The Pritchetts bought the property in August 1928. He was a meter reader for North Carolina Public Service Company.
They family owned the house until 1982.
Garage 120 Kensington Road ca. 1928 Contributing Building A one-story, pyramidal-roofed brick garage with new doors on its front two bays stands in the rear yard.
Pattie and James Price House 122 Kensington Road ca. 1928 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage displays two-front facing gables.
A flat-roofed porch supported by Tuscan columns and graced with sawn purlins and rafter tails extends the width of the larger front gable. Brick steps flanked by metal balustrades lead to the brick porch floor forward of two front doors. Soldier-course bricks top the doors and windows, most of which are sixover-six, except for the casement windows fronting the smaller front gable and those contained in a onestory, flat- roofed brick wing on the south elevation. A rectangular louvered wood vent pierces the smaller gable. A brick chimney occupies the south gable end of the main block. Pattie and James Price bought the property in June 1928, but he apparently passed away soon after the house was built; she first appears at this address in the 1929 city directory and is listed as widow of James V. Price. She sold the house in 1935.
Garage 122 Kensington Road ca. 1928 Contributing Building A one-story, brick garage with rafter tails along its eaves stands in the rear yard.
Contributing Building The one-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage displays an off-center front facing gable. A smaller front gable is centered on the engaged projecting porch with arched openings that fronts a multilight front door. A small fixed, six-light window is centered on the upper level of the larger front gable.
Bands of soldier-course brick top the windows and door and the small porch gable. A brick chimney rises from the north gable end, forward of the roof ridge. A small, side-gabled, brick projection is located on the rear of the north elevation. A hip-roofed ell extends from the rear elevation.
Windows are six-over-one replacements. The Girads are the earliest known occupants and appear at this address in the 1929 city directory. Mr. Wilkerson was a salesman for southern Dairies Inc.
Garage 200 Kensington Road ca. 1925 Contributing Building A one-story, side-gabled, brick garage with an open bay and a bay fronted with a wood door stands in the rear yard facing north.