«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»
Addie and Jerry Lea House 201 Kensington Road ca. 1959 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional house has a front-facing gable sheathed in vinyl siding and crowned by a louvered vent. A metal awning supported by decorative metal posts shelters the entrance. Forward of it is a long, modern, wood handicap ramp. Windows throughout are eight-over-eight and six-over-six. An interior brick chimney straddles the roof ridge. The gable ends are sheathed in vinyl. A brick gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. A side-gabled, rear elevation garage that is attached to the rear ell has been enclosed and sheathed in vinyl for use as an apartment. It has six-over-nine windows. The Leas purchased the lot in 1959 and likely built the house soon thereafter. He was president-treasurer of J. M. Lea Furniture and Addie Lea was vice-president of the company. They sold the house in 1972.
The two-story, three-bay, side-gabled Colonial Revival-style house sheathed in vinyl siding displays a classical entrance centered on the façade and featuring an urn element flanked by a broken pediment and fluted pilasters framing a paneled wood door. Concrete steps flanked by metal balustrades lead to the stoop where the metal balustrade continues. Exposed rafter tails grace the eaves and purlins extend from the gable ends. A stuccoed brick chimney straddles the center roof ridge. A deep-set fixed light window pierces each gable end. Six-over-one windows are found throughout. The Zieglers are the earliest known occupants, but never owned the house. He was an owner of Ziegler Brothers, a paving company.
Garage 202 Kensington Road ca. 1980 Noncontributing Building A large, side-gabled garage with T-111 siding stands in the rear yard.
Sue and Isaac Ham House 203 Kensington Road ca. 1935 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage displays a central front projecting gable with brick supports. An arched opening is forward of a paneled wood door with a blind fanlight set in an arched bay. Concrete steps flanked by low brick walls topped with concrete caps leads to the concrete stoop. A small fixed light window is south (right) of the entrance and next to a façade, brick chimney with two sets of paired concrete shoulders. Windows are six-over-six. A one-story, south elevation sun porch is sheathed in vertical wood siding. A hipped ell occupies the rear elevation. The Hams, who appear at this address in the 1936 city directory, are the earliest known occupants; they never owned the house. He was a traveling salesman.
Lucile and James Hodnett House204 Kensington Roadca. 1953Contributing Building
The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional-style dwelling displays an off-center brick front gable topped by a round, louvered, wood vent framed in header-course brick.
Tuscan columns and pilasters support a shed-roofed porch that shelters a brick and concrete floor. The NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) front door is a modern replacement. Windows throughout are metal casement. A vinyl-clad dormer rests on the front roof slope. A large brick chimney occupies the south gable end, forward of the roof ridge.
The Hodnetts bought the property in 1953 and likely built the house soon thereafter. He was a salesman for Greensboro Metal Awning Company. The Hodnett family owned the house until 1983.
Dorothy and James B. Carter House205 Kensington Roadca. 1930Contributing Building
The one-and-a-half-story, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage with Tudor and Colonial Revival influences includes a front-gabled portico with a vaulted soffit that fronts an off-center, brick, front gable pierced with an arched-head window on its upper level. Modern slender columns and original curved triangular knee braces support the portico, which shelters a paneled wood door topped with a semi-elliptical fanlight and flanked by sidelights composed of paneled wood and lights with diamond-shaped muntins.
A projecting, shed-roofed porch features arched openings and shelters paired windows. All windows are composed of an upper sash with diamond-shaped muntin pattern over a single sash. Soldier-course brick lintels and header-course sills frame the windows. A paved-shoulder brick chimney rises from the south elevation, forward of the roof ridge. The Carters bought parcel in February 1930 and built the house soon thereafter; they first appear at this address in the 1930 city directory. He worked at Ballard and Ballard Company, a flour manufacturer.
Mary and Thomas Matlock House206 Kensington Roadca. 1935Contributing Building
The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, sandstone-veneered Period Cottage exhibits an offcenter front gable with a stone façade chimney and a smaller projecting front gable portico supported by sandstone pillars and punctuated by arched openings with stone voussoirs. The portico shelters a paneled wood and multi-light door. Flat arches crafted in sandstone top the windows. Windows throughout are six-over-six. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. The Matlocks bought the property in September 1936 and likely built the house soon thereafter. They first appear at this address in the 1937 city directory. He was a CPA. The Matlock family owned the house until 1976.
Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, cross-gabled, brick, Period Cottage displays an off-center, front-facing gable pierced on its upper level with a louvered wood vent set in weatherboard that extends approximately half the height of the gable. A smaller front gable that projects forward exhibits the same weatherboard treatment on its upper half, as do the dwelling's gable ends. Both front gables have arched openings; the smaller gable shelters the doorway, while the larger gable shelters an open porch. Windows are replacement one-over-one sash and sliders. A triangular, louvered, wood vent rests on the front roof slope. An interior end brick chimney is located near the south gable end. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. The McLennans bought the property in May 1930, but do not appear at this address until the 1936 city directory. He worked for Newman Machinery.
Showferty House208 Kensington Roadca. 1940Contributing Building
The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional-style house displays an off-center front gable containing a Tudor Revival-style, arched-head, vertical-wood door with four small lights set in a square pattern. A brick and concrete patio extends from in front of the entrance to in front of the south end of the side gabled block. Windows are six-over-six. A brick chimney occupies the south elevation.
A small stoop with a shed-roofed hood that is supported by triangular brackets is located on the north elevation. Abdou Showferty, owner of Showferty’s Store, purchased this lot in December 1936, but likely did not build the house until the early 1940s. City directories indicate the house was likely rented.
In 1946, Michael Showferty, who worked at the family’s store, purchased the house and lived here. The house remains under ownership of the Showferty family and their business remains in downtown Greensboro.
Myrtle and S. Earl Cobb House209 Kensington Roadca. 1940Contributing Building
The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled with returns, brick Colonial Revival house has a pedimented portico with dentils. Supported by fluted Doric columns and pilasters, the portico shelters a paneled wood and multi-light door framed by paneled wood and multi-light sidelights. Plain pilasters supporting a molded cornice surround the doorway. The porch floor is brick. Brick quoins grace the corners and dentils extend along the principal cornice. Windows are eight-over-eight and six-over-six; a paneled NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) fixed apron is positioned under the pair of windows flanking the entrance. Gable ends are finished in weatherboard. A corbelled brick interior chimney straddles the roof ridge. The Cobbs bought the property in January 1940 and likely built the house soon thereafter. Earl Cobb owned Piedmont Service Station and Myrtle Cobb worked as the chief deputy clerk of the United States District Court. The Cobb family owned the house until 1985.
Garage 209 Kensington Road ca. 1940 Contributing Building A one-story, front-gabled, German-sided garage stands in the rear yard.
Beulah and John Clarida House 210 Kensington Road ca. 1929 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage exhibits a steeply-pitched projecting front gable. A flat-roofed porch extends along the south half of the façade. Square posts support the porch, which shelters a paneled wood door. A panel of lattice fills the south-facing porch bay. Windows throughout are single and paired six-over-one with soldier-course lintels and headercourse sills. A front-gabled dormer is sheathed in synthetic siding. An exterior chimney rises from the south gable end forward of the roof ridge, while a smaller interior chimney pierces the roof forward of the ridge near the center of the house. A gabled ell extends from the rear. The Claridas bought the property in October 1928 and likely built the house soon thereafter. He worked for Vick Chemical Company. The family owned the house until 1941. An outbuilding in the rear yard is not visible from the right-of-way.
Louise and Grady Scott House211 Kensington Roadca. 1954Contributing Building
The one-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick and board-and-batten Ranch house features a deeplyrecessed entrance with a board and batten reveal and fronted by brick steps. The brick veneers the lower half of the exterior, below the board-and-batten. Windows are one-over-one replacements. A large, three-part window is located just south of the entrance. A porch positioned beneath the roof on the north NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) end has been enclosed and sheathed with vinyl and fitted with large one-over-one windows. A gabled ell extends from the rear. The Scotts bought the property in 1953 and likely built the house soon thereafter.
The family first appears at this address in the 1955 city directory. He was vice-president of Aspden Associates, which sold janitorial supplies. The sold the property in 1961.
Garage 211 Kensington Road ca. 1970 Noncontributing Building A one-story, front-gabled, vinyl-sided, one-bay garage stands in the rear yard.
Dollie and Codie Thomas House 212 Kensington Road ca. 1950 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional-style house with some vinyl siding includes a brick chimney with one stepped shoulder on the façade. A flat-roofed entrance porch supported by decorative metal posts resting on a concrete stoop shelters a replacement paneled wood door with a crowning fanlight. A replacement picture window pierces the façade just south of the chimney. Other windows are six-over-six replacements. The Thomases bought the parcel in 1950 and built the house that year. He was a bookkeeper for Phipps Hardware. They sold the house in 1951.
Margaret and Gordon Payne owned the house from 1951 to 1988. He worked for AT&T and she worked as a clerk at Jefferson Life Insurance.
Garage 212 Kensington Road ca. 1970 Noncontributing Building A front-gabled, vinyl-sided garage with a single garage bay stands in the rear yard.
The one-and-a-half-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage displays an off-center front gable with a stepped shoulder façade chimney. Small windows with one-over-one replacement sash flank the chimney. A flat-roofed, extended porch is a replacement and constructed of synthetic columns and has vinyl sheathing. A hip-roofed dormer sheathed and vinyl and containing a one- over-one window rests on the front roof slope. Replacement one-over-one windows are found throughout. Windows are framed by soldier-course lintels and header-course sills. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. A stacked stone retaining wall and granite steps flanked by stacked stone walls front the yard. The Hodgins are the earliest known occupants appearing at this address in the 1930 city directory. He was a salesman for Gate City Motor Company.
Frances and J. Herman Gardner House214 Kensington Roadca. 1939Contributing Building
The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick, Period Cottage displays an off-center, frontfacing gable pierced by an upper arched-head window. A front-gabled hood is centered on a smaller, projecting, brick front gable and is supported by curved triangular knee braces. The hood shelters a paneled wood door topped by a row of soldier-course brick and a concrete and brick stoop that extends to form a patio forward of the northern half of the façade. A front-gabled dormer rests on the front roof slope. Windows throughout are Prairie-style fourteen-over-one. A brick chimney is located on the south elevation forward of the roof ridge. The Gardners bought the property in June 1939 and likely built the house soon thereafter. Vivian Gardner, possibly Mr. Gardner’s sister and a bookkeeper, lived in the house also. Herman Gardner worked as a storekeeper. In 1954, Herman Gardner sold the house to Vivian Gardner. She owned it until 1985.
Garage 214 Kensington Road ca. 1939 Contributing Building A front-gabled, wood-shingled, one-bay garage stands in the rear yard.
The one-and-a-half-story, cross-gabled, brick Period Cottage displays an off-center, front-facing gable.
A smaller front gable contains an arched entrance with a granite keystone and granite voussoirs. A deeply recessed Tudor door is capped by a blind stuccoed fanlight with a diamond-shaped ceramic motif at its center. Granite is also used to accent the façade chimney, just to the south (right) of the entrance and the posts that support the southwest corner open porch. Windows throughout are six-over-six with brick, soldier-course lintels and header-course sills. Half-timbering sheathes the gable ends. The Harrises bought the parcel in April 1931 and likely built the house soon thereafter. He owned Citizens Coal Company. In 1949, the property transferred to Ruby and she owned it until 1983.