«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»
The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, hip-roofed, brick Period Cottage with front and side gables features a projecting, flat-roofed porch supported by decorative metal posts. The porch shelters the single-leaf front door and a small, fixed-light window just to the south (right) of the entrance. Brick steps flanked by metal balustrades lead to the concrete and brick porch where the metal balustrade continues. A frontgabled dormer with German siding rests on the front hip-roofed slope, while a large, shed-roofed dormer occupies the north elevation roof slope. Windows are six-over-six and framed by soldier- course lintels and header-course sills. A brick chimney rises on the south gable end. A flat-roofed, two-bay garage with tile coping is attached to the south elevation; because of the topography, it is set lower than the house. The Eubanks bought the property in September 1938 and likely built the house soon thereafter.
He was owner of Banks Clothing Company. They sold the house in 1951.
NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Edna Mae and Wallace A. Sigmon House 306 Kensington Road ca. 1950 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, hip-roofed, vinyl-clad dwelling has an extended hip-roofed porch supported by turned posts and a wood balustrade with square balusters. The porch shelters a paneled wood door with four upper lights and a pair of original six-over-six windows. A picture window pierces the façade north of the porch. A brick chimney rises from the interior, just forward of the roof ridge, while another, large brick chimney occupies the north elevation. The Sigmons bought the parcel in 1949 and likely built the house soon thereafter. He worked at Justice Drug. The house remained in the family until 2008.
Edith and Charles Irwin House307 Kensington Roadca. 1955Contributing Building
The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional dwelling has an off-center, weatherboard- sheathed front gable. A shed-roofed porch supported by single decorative metal post with scrollwork resting on the brick stoop shelters a paneled wood door with four upper lights. Windows are eight-over-eight. The brick chimney straddles from the roof ridge near the center of the house. The Irwins are the earliest known occupants and first appear in the city directory in 1955. He was the office manager for Armour and Company, a dealer in wholesale meat.
Elise and Robert Stokes House308 Kensington Road Contributing Building
The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled with returns, brick Minimal Traditional house has an off-center front gable with returns and decorative square openings set in a pyramid pattern at its crown. Paired square wood posts spanned by diamond latticework support the recessed porch located north of the front gable. The porch shelters a paneled wood and multi-light door and a six-over-six replacement window.
All windows are six-over-six replacements, but are framed by soldier-course brick lintels and headercourse sills. A brick chimney occupies the north gable end. The Stokeses bought the parcel in 1943 and appear at this address in the 1943 city directory. He was a tax consultant for Burlington Mills. They sold the house in 1945.
NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Garage 308 Kensington Road ca. 1943 Noncontributing Building A one-story, front-gable with returns garage stands in the rear yard. It has been altered by the partial enclosing of the façade and the application of stucco.
Frances and Winford Kasey House 311 Kensington Road ca. 1950 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, four-bay, side-gabled brick house has a concrete and brick stoop forward of a paneled wood door with three horizontal upper lights. A three-part picture window is north (left) of the front door. Other windows are original and consist of one horizontal light over one horizontal light. Two front-gabled, vinyl-clad dormers contain one-over-one windows. A carport with an open bay on the façade and lattice resting on a low brick wall on the south elevation occupies the dwelling's south end.
The one-story, side-gabled porch on the north elevation is screened with synthetic siding on the lower portion. A brick chimney is located on the south end of the south elevation of the main block. The Kaseys, who appear at this address in the 1955 city directory, are the earliest known occupants. He was a knitter at Atsco Hosiery Mills.
Madison Avenue Rev. Raleigh and Della Hunter House 1705 Madison Avenue ca. 1950 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, six-bay, side-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional house features a front-gabled, bracketed canopy over the paneled wood door. Windows are eight-over-eight and six-over-six. Three vinyl-sided dormers rest on the front roof slope. A secondary entrance is located on the east end of the façade. A shed-roofed overhang of the roof shelters it. A six-over-six window is immediately to its west (right). An additional shed-roofed canopy shelters a door on the west elevation. A gabled ell extends from the rear. According to the 1950 city directory, Reverend Hunter was pastor of the West End Methodist Church.
NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Elizabeth and William McCain House 1706 Madison Avenue ca. 1939 Contributing Building The one-story, cross-gabled, brick Period Cottage features an off-center, front-gable screened porch with a weatherboard gable end, gable returns, and square posts for support. The entry is not visible because of items stored on the porch. Windows are six-over-six and a brick façade chimney occupies the façade. A large gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. Mr. McCain worked as a telegraph repeater attendant at American Telegraph and Telephone Company. He and his wife lived here with their child.
Annie and William Alderman House1707 Madison Avenueca. 1927Contributing Building
The two-story, four-bay, hip- and gable-roofed, brick Tudor Revival-style house displays an off-center, front-gable. A steep, shed-roofed porch displays a brick entry surmounted with a header-course arch and a more narrow arched side opening with a solid brick balustrade. The original arched, multi-light door remains beneath the porch. Windows throughout are six-over-six and topped by soldier-course brick lintels. On the east elevation the roof extends downward over a forty-two-light fixed window. A concrete patio shaded by a wood pergola extends along three-fourths of the façade. Alderman was a salesman for J. W. Scott and Company.
Ruth and J. Harold Mitchell House1708 Madison Avenueca. 1938Contributing Building
The one-and-a-half-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Cape Cod house includes a slightly arched canopy supported by carved brackets over the paneled wood door with a crowning transom. Windows are sixover-six and topped with soldier-course lintels. Three synthetic-sided dormers rest on the front roof slope. A brick chimney rises from the east gable end of the main block where it intersects with a onestory, side-gabled, screened porch with slightly-arched bays and supported by square posts. Synthetic siding sheathes all the gable ends. Mr. Mitchell was employed as a salesman for Multigraph Sales Agency. He and his wife lived her with their one child, according to the 1938 city directory.
NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Garage 1708 Madison Avenue ca. 1938 Contributing Building The one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard. Sliding doors of vertical wood front the garage.
Ruth and Stephen Kutos Jr. House 1709 Madison Avenue ca. 1958 Contributing Building The one-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick Ranch includes a front-facing, synthetic-sided gable with overhanging eaves. Windows are one-over-one replacements and a brick chimney straddles the roof ridge. A three-part picture window on the façade contains replacement sash in the flanking windows.
According to the 1958 city directory, Mr. Kutos Jr. worked Burgess Battery.
Carport 1709 Madison Avenue ca. 1980 Noncontributing Structure An open, side-gabled carport stands in the rear yard.
Raye and Charles Wood House 1710 Madison Avenue ca. 1939 Contributing Building The altered two-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-influenced house displays two recently constructed, slightly-projecting front gable blocks with returns and pierced with round, louvered vents. A soldier-course, segmental arch tops the altered entry composed of a paneled wood door framed by sidelights and topped by a fanlight. Solid cast masonry lintels top the replacement windows. Tuscan columns support a one-story, flat-roofed open porch on the east elevation. In 1939 the Woods lived here with their child.
NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Carport 1710 Madison Avenue ca. 1950 Contributing Structure A flat-roofed carport is supported by slender Tuscan columns.
House 1711 Madison Avenue ca. 1973 Noncontributing Building The one-story, six-bay, side-gabled, brick Ranch house features an off-center front-gable with returns.
The side-gabled roof extends to shelter an open entry porch supported by a square wood post. Windows are one-over-one replacements. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation.
Helen and Dr. Duncan W. Holt House1712 Madison Avenueca. 1927Contributing Building
The two-story, five-bay, hardboard-sided, Dutch Colonial Revival-style house displays a front-gabled hood with brackets and a vaulted soffit. It shelters a paneled wood door topped by a blind fanlight and framed by sidelights. Windows are six-over-one, including those in the three-bay shed dormer. A brick chimney rises from the east elevation of the main block where it intersects with a one-story, hip-roofed screened porch. Dr. Holt’s office was located on North Elm Street.
Carrie Shoffner House1713 Madison Avenueca. 1948Contributing Building
The one-and-a-half-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Cape Cod house displays a dentil cornice and classical entrance with pilasters and a molded cornice framing a replacement wood door with an oval light. Windows are six-over-six replacements. Three front-gabled dormers sheathed in vinyl siding and containing six-over-six replacement windows rest on the front roof slope. A brick chimney rises from the east gable end of the main block. On the east elevation, a side-gabled screened porch with a dentil cornice has been enclosed with synthetic siding and fitted with six-over-six windows. Additions on the NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) rear elevation are not visible from the right-of-way. Shoffner was owner and occupant in 1948, according to the city directory for that year.
Garage 1713 Madison Avenue ca. 1948 Contributing Building A one-story, two-bay, hip-roofed, weatherboard garage with exposed rafter tails stands in the rear yard.
The original multi-light and wood doors are intact.
Grace and James Dick House 1714 Madison Avenue ca. 1950; 2010 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, front-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional house has been recently renovated with the most significant change being the removal of metal awnings from over the windows and the installation of a new entry porch. The recessed entry is located on the west end of a smaller, front-facing gable whose upper portion is sheathed in synthetic shingles. A small hip-roofed hood surmounts a molded cornice held up with square wood pilasters; previously, decorative iron posts marked the entrance. Windows throughout are replacement—either six-over-six or, in the case of those in the two-front-facing gables, fixed six-light windows. The upper story of the main front gable is also sheathed in synthetic shingles. Wood posts identical to those at the entry support a side-gabled porch on the east elevation. A one-story, one-bay-wide, side-gabled wing containing an interior brick chimney extends from the west elevation. A gabled ell is located on the rear elevation. According to the 1950 city directory, the first in which the house appears, Mr. Dick worked in sales at Wingo Ellet & Crump Shoes.
Garage 1714 Madison Avenue ca. 2010 Noncontributing Building A one-and-a-half-story, side-gabled garage sheathed in synthetic siding stands in the rear yard. A pair of front-gabled dormers with six-over-six windows rests on the front roof slope. The former garage was demolished after 2007 and replaced with this building.
1715 Madison Avenue ca. 1950 Contributing Building The one-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Ranch house with a dentil cornice is composed of four blocks of slightly differing heights. The main block contains the paneled wood door framed by fluted pilasters and a molded cornice. A five-sided bay window with replacement lights is to the west (right) of the entry. A brick chimney straddles the roof ridge of this main block. Flanking blocks are one bay wide and contain replacement one-over-one windows. An enclosed, synthetic-sided former porch attaches to the east end and also displays a single one-over-one window on its façade. Mr. Crumpler was the captain of the city fire department, according to the 1950 city directory.
Garage 1715 Madison Avenue ca. 1960 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, synthetic-sided garage stands in the rear yard.
Grace and Phillip G. Langley House 1716 Madison Avenue ca. 1928 Contributing Building The massive, two-story, three-bay, hip- and clipped-gable-roofed, painted brick and stucco Tudor Revival-style dwelling displays a front-gabled, brick entrance projection graced with a collar beam.