«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»
Half-timbering in the upper gable surmounts an original paneled wood and multi-light door. The dwelling’s lower story is brick, while half-timbered stucco finishes the upper level. Wide overhanging eaves with exposed purlins and bracketed cornices characterize the dwelling. Windows are primarily six-over-one replacements and a corbeled brick chimney rises from the house’s center. A three-bay, shed-roofed wall dormer occupies west end of the upper façade; an eyebrow, louvered wood vent rests on the front roof slope just to the rear of the dormer. A two-story wing topped with two front-facing gables that face east is fronted with a divided-light door with flanking replacement six-over-six windows. A one-story, truncated hip-roofed screened porch with bracketed wood posts for support is located on the southwest (front left) corner. A two-story, clipped-gable wing rises just behind the screened porch. According to the 1928 city directory, both the Langleys worked at and owned Langley Sales Company, a heating company.
NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Joan and John Hall House 1717 Madison Avenue Noncontributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, aluminum-sided house features a shed-roofed canopy with molded brackets over the paneled wood door. Windows are six-over-six. A small, side-gabled wing is located on the rear (south) of the west gable end, while a gabled addition extends from the rear. The earliest known owners are the Halls, who sold the property in 1986.
House1718 Madison Avenueca. 1982Noncontributing Building
The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Cape Cod house displays a center paneled wood door topped with a three-light transom. Windows throughout are six-over-six and on the façade are crowned by a flat brick arch with radiating voussoirs. A pair of front-gabled, synthetic-sided dormers rests on the front roof slope. A brick chimney rises from the west gable end. A one-story, one-bay-wide, side-gabled, brick wing occupies the rear (north) section of the east gable end. A gabled ell sheathed with synthetic siding extends from the rear elevation.
Shed 1718 Madison Avenue ca. 1982 Noncontributing Building A one-story, hip-roofed, weatherboard shed stands in the rear yard.
Sarah and Max Klein House 1719 Madison Avenue ca. 1938; 2011 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, four-bay, cross-gabled, ashlar Period Cottage displays a projecting front gable that holds a Tudor-style, vertical wood door pierced with a single light and held with iron strap hinges.
The door is recessed and topped by an ashlar recessed arch. In turn, the stones set in an arch pattern top the recess. A small arched niche window pierces the east side of the front gable projection. The larger NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) front gable displays a catslide roof that extends to the west and crowns an open arch with a masonry sill.
A balcony with a modern iron railing extends along a portion of the façade. Windows are six-over-six, including those in the recently-added, synthetic-sided shed dormer resting on the front roof slope. An ashlar chimney rises from the east gable end of the main block where it meets the west side of a recently-renovated enclosed porch with nearly full-height, multi-light windows. In 2007, the porch was enclosed, but had a different arrangement of window and a paneled wood door on its façade. The house, though renovated in 2011, retains its overall exterior integrity. In 1938, Max Klein was the sales manager of Klimate-Pruff Manufacturing. The couple lived here with their two children.
House1720 Madison Avenueca. 1927Contributing Building
The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, brick Dutch Colonial-style dwelling displays a full-width, recessed porch with Tuscan columns. The porch with arched bays on its west and east ends shelters a weatherboard façade pierced at its center by a classical entry with a fanlight and sidelights framing a paneled wood door; a pair of French doors flanks each side of the entry. Windows throughout are sixover-one. A three-bay, weatherboard, shed dormer rests on the front and rear roof slopes. A brick chimney rises from the west end of the main block where it intersects with a flat-roofed sun porch graced by paneled pilasters. A divided-light door with crowning three-light transom and flanking eightlight and paneled sidelights is located on the front and rear elevations of the porch. A shed-roofed porch supported by square posts and an adjacent gabled ell occupies the rear elevation.
Garage 1720 Madison Avenue ca. 1927 Contributing Building A one-story, two-bay, side-gabled, weatherboard garage with x-braced wood and multi-light doors stands in the rear yard.
The two-and-a-half-story, three-bay, hip-roofed, wire-cut-brick Craftsman-style house displays wide overhanging eaves graced with wood brackets. A truncated hip-roofed entry porch supported by square posts shelters a half-glazed door with Craftsman-style sidelights. Windows are Craftsman-style nineover-one. A pair of hip-roofed dormers with overhanging eaves contains a pair of small nine-light windows. A brick chimney rises on the east elevation of the main block and through the roof. A truncated hipped roof tops the one-story enclosed porch on the east elevation. Pilasters like those on the entry porch grace the wing. A small hip-roofed projection with deep eaves is located on the west elevation. A substantial, two-story, hip-roofed addition attaches the rear. Although, this addition does not appear on the 1966 Sanborn Company map, its massing, materials, and finishes blend well with the historic dwelling. A hip-roofed porch on its south elevation shelters the fully-glazed rear door. The Alexanders were owners in 1927.
Hedrick- Stansbury House1800 Madison Avenueca. 1925; ca. 2000Noncontributing Building
The one-story, three-bay, hip- and cross-gabled, brick bungalow displays a full-width, recessed porch topped at its west end by a front-facing, wood shingled gable with exposed purlins; an identical side gable faces east. Battered paneled wood posts resting on brick piers that are linked by a solid brick balustrade support the porch as it shelters a divided-light door. Windows are six-over-one and an interior corbeled brick chimney rises from the dwelling’s center. A sunporch illuminated by eight-light, possibly casement, windows and a divided-light door occupies the east elevation. An original, one-story, hiproofed ell extends to the rear. An unsympathetic, synthetic-sided, cross-gabled addition has been built on top of the west side of the house and just behind the chimney. Photographs from the 1990 suggest that this addition replaced an earlier shed-roofed shingled addition. This dwelling housed two families for at least the first twenty years after it was constructed. The earliest occupants were Hilda and F. E.
Stansbury, who was a manager at Huntley Stockton Hill Company and Carrie and Eccles E. Hedrick, who was vice president Gate City Motor Company.
Garage 1800 Madison Avenue ca. 1925 Contributing Building
Laura and Charles P. Carmichael House 1801 Madison Avenue ca. 1926 Contributing Building The two-story, three-bay, hip-roofed, brick house displays wide overhanging eaves graced with paired decorative carved wooden brackets. A flat-roofed portico supported by fluted wood columns and fluted square posts and topped by a metal rail shelters the paneled wood door. Windows are six-over-one and crowned on the first level by soldier-course lintels and on the upper level by header-course lintels. A half-circle, louvered wood vent with a keystone motif rests on each of the four roof slopes. A pair of corbelled brick exterior chimneys rises from the east elevation, but their flues extend through the roof.
Round pilasters grace the enclosed, synthetic-sided, one-story, flat-roofed porch on the east elevation. A multi-light and paneled wood door with flanking multi-light sidelights pierces the façade of the sun porch, while eight-over-eight windows span its other elevations. A one-story, brick ell extends from the rear. Carmichael was manager of J. W. Jones and Company, a wholesale grocer.
Garage 1801 Madison Avenue ca. 1926 Contributing Building The one-story, two-bay, hip-roofed, brick garage displays exposed rafter tails and a pair of replacement, but sympathetic paneled wood doors with four lights each.
Mollie Matlock House 1802 Madison Avenue ca. 1949 Contributing Building The one-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage displays a front-facing, slightly-projecting brick gable pierced by a round, multi-light window. A brick chimney with cut granite at its base occupies the façade. A shed-roofed canopy nestled between the chimney and front gable shelters the paneled wood door. Windows are six-over-six replacements topped by soldier-course lintels. A hiproofed, bay window in the front cable contains a sixteen-light picture window flanked by replacement four-over-four windows. Synthetic siding sheathes the gable ends. A flat-roofed, enclosed porch sheathed with synthetic siding and fitted with French doors occupies the east elevation. A low wood balustrade tops the porch. According to the 1949 city directory, Mollie Matlock, a widow and teacher at Thomas Hunter School, lived here with her sons Jack and Frank.
NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Garage 1802 Madison Avenue ca. 1980 Noncontributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled garage with synthetic siding stands in the rear yard.
Annie and William Donald House 1803 Madison Avenue ca. 1935 Contributing Building The two-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style house displays a classical entry with a swan’s neck pediment with dentils and a center finial. Fluted pilasters with Corinthian capitals and a molded cornice frame the paneled wood door. Windows are six-over-six and at the first floor are topped by soldier-course lintels, while the tops of the upper level windows are notched into the fascia. Exterior brick chimneys rise from each gable end. A one-story, flat-roofed, screened porch topped with a wood balustrade attaches to the east gable end. A one-story, flat-roofed, synthetic-sided, enclosed porch topped with an identical balustrade attaches to the west gable end. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. According to the 1935 city directory, Mr. Donald was an adjuster for Aetna Life Insurance Company. That year, the couple lived here with their two children.
Garage 1803 Madison Avenue ca. 1935 Contributing Building The one-story, two-bay, side-gabled, brick garage stands in the rear yard.
Gertrude and Hamilton Van Horn House 1804 Madison Avenue ca. 1942 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage displays an off-center, frontfacing, brick projection on the east end of the façade. A shed-roofed, brick entry vestibule pierced by a paneled wood and multi-light door framed by plain pilasters and a molded cornice is located just left NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) (west) of the front-facing gable. A tall, narrow, three-light window occupies the wall just to the east of the entry. A metal awning supported by decorative metal posts shelters the patio located west of the entry. Windows throughout are six-over-six, including those in the pair of front-gabled, asbestosshingled dormers. A brick chimney rises from the west gable end, forward of the roof ridge. A small, hip-roofed brick wing with a larger, asbestos-sheathed, hip-roofed wing attached to its rear occupies the east gable end. A one-story, one-bay-wide, side-gabled, brick wing stands on the rear (north) end of the west gable end. An arched-bay entry porch on its façade is recessed beneath the side-gabled roof. Mr.
Van Horn was a salesman, according to the city directory for 1942.
Garage 1804 Madison Avenue ca. 1980 Noncontributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, synthetic-sided garage stands in the rear yard.
Sara and Neal Sheffield House 1805 Madison Avenue ca. 1933 Contributing Building The two-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style house features a dentil cornice.
Tuscan columns and square pilasters support a front-gabled, pedimented portico with a dentil cornice. It shelters a paneled wood door with multi-light sidelights. Windows are six-over-six with lower windows set in an arched bay and topped with header-course arches with a cast masonry keystone. Exterior brick chimneys occupy each gable end and are flanked by quarter-round, spoked muntin windows; an additional brick chimney rises from the rear elevation. Both elevations boast enclosed sun porches topped with flat roofs with turned balustrades and paneled posts. The west porch appears to extend farther to the rear (south) than the east porch. The roofs on each porch extend forward of the plane of the façade and are supported by square posts to create small open porches. These sun rooms are fitted with a multi-light transomed door on the facade and four-over-four windows over paneled aprons on each elevation. A one-story, hip-roofed ell is attached to the rear elevation. According to the 1933 city directory, Neal Sheffield was a dentist with an office on S. Elm Street.
The one-story, two-bay, side-gabled, brick garage features an east end brick chimney. Replacement garage doors fill the front bays.