«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»
The two-story, three-bay, cross-gabled, multi-hued brick Tudor Revival-style house displays a frontfacing gable, a slate tile roof, and a front-gabled entry porch. Half-timbered stucco sheathes the porch gable end and the upper portion of the front-facing gable wing. Square wood posts and turned posts, along with a wood balustrade with decorative sawn cut-outs grace the porch as is shelters a paneled wood and multi-light door. Windows are six-over-six and eight-over-eight with those on the first floor façade topped with soldier-course lintels. Double casement windows with diamond muntin patterns pierce the upper front gable and the brick wall just above the porch. A shed wall dormer occupies the façade of the side-gabled block. A brick chimney rises from the east gable end, whose upper portion is half-timbered and stucco. A one-story, shed-roofed, screened porch occupies the east gable end. The rear elevation features the north end of the cross gable, two shed-roofed dormers, and a shed-roofed brick ell.
Garage 1900 Madison Avenue ca. 1928 Contributing Building A one-and-and-a-half-story, one-bay, side-gabled, brick garage with a two-bay, half-timber and stucco dormer stands in the rear yard. The upper level contains a living space.
Frances and Frank Werner House 1901 Madison Avenue ca. 1937 Contributing Building The two-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style house displays a modillion cornice and a stylized dentil course on its frieze, but only on the main block. These same details carry to the entry’s entablature where a cornice with modillion blocks surmounts the frieze graced with Greek fretwork. Just below, rosettes flank a festoon. To complete this classical entry, Doric pilasters frame the NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) paneled wood door. Windows throughout are eight-over-eight and six-over-six with those on the second floor façade notched into the frieze. A brick chimney rises from the east gable end of the main block, where it meets the lower, west gable end of a two-story, one-bay-wide, weatherboard wing. Its lower level displays casement windows above paneled aprons framed by full-height plain pilasters. The second floor includes six-over-six and eight-over-eight windows and a modern, oversized, fixed-glass window on the gable end, suggesting that this level was added somewhat recently. A west elevation, two-story, weatherboard wing displays six-over-six windows and a west gable-end brick chimney. A small ell extends from the rear and a pair of front-gabled dormers rest on the rear roof slope. According to the 1937 city directory, Werner was the supervisor of Juvenile Hosiery Mills.
Garage 1901 Madison Avenue ca. 1927 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, side-gabled, weatherboard garage with a replacement door stands in the rear yard.
Flossie and Henry Hanes House 1902 Madison Avenue ca. 1928 Contributing Building The two-story, three-bay, hip-roofed, multi-colored granite Colonial Revival-style house displays wide, overhanging eaves, and an original green, barrel-tile roof with intact ridge tiles and crockets. Tuscan columns support the flat-roofed, one-story, full-width porch sheltering a divided-light door framed by divided-light sidelights and topped by a granite keystone with granite voussoirs. Windows are six-overone replacements, with first floor façade windows surmounted by the same keystone and voussoirs as the entry. Segmental and flat arches of granite top the upper windows. A pair of small blind, arched granite niches pierces the upper center façade and flanks a small deep-set, multi-light window. Square granite posts support a west elevation porte-cochere. An exterior granite chimney rises from the west side of the main block. The porch floor extends to the west and fronts the one-story, flat-roofed sunporch. An ell, roof form unknown, extends from the rear elevation. Henry Hanes was president of Hanes Funeral Home.
A one-story, two-bay, hip-roofed, stone garage occupies the rear yard.
Lola and Edward McDonald House 1903 Madison Avenue ca. 1931 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style house displays a wide front-gabled porch with a weatherboard tympanum pierced by an oculus and graced with a dentil cornice and gable returns. Columns support the porch that shelters a classical entry with a fanlight and multilight sidelights framing a paneled wood door. Dressed ashlar granite outlines the entry and graces the dwelling’s front corners. Windows are replacement eight-over-eight and six-over-six, while the frontgabled dormers with dentil molding hold fixed six-light, arched-head windows. A brick chimney with chimney pots straddles the roof ridge. A gabled ell extends from the rear. According to the 1931 city directory, Mr. McDonald was a salesman.
Garage 1903 Madison Avenue ca. 1931 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, brick garage with original paneled wood and multi-light doors stands in the rear yard.
Virginia and John F. Troxler Jr. House 1904 Madison Avenue ca. 1940 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, simulated stone Colonial Revival-inspired dwelling includes a swan’s neck pediment with a center finial above a reeded cornice and supporting plain pilasters. This classical entry framed a paneled wood door flanked by sidelights with wood panels below. A pair of simulated stone pilasters that extend the height of the façade frame the entry and separate it from the flanking eight-over-eight windows with paneled wood aprons. Simulated stone voussoirs top surmount these windows and the pair of wall dormers that also display simulated granite keystones and replacement six-over-one windows. A simulated stone chimney rises from the west gable end of the main block, just forward of the roof ridge. A side-gabled, enclosed porch fitted with modern NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) casement windows occupies a portion of the west elevation, while a one-and-half-story, side-gabled wing with a wall dormer projects from the east elevation. An ell, roof form unknown, extends from the rear elevation. John Troxler Jr. worked for the family business, Troxler Brothers.
Rev. Paul and Grace Townsend House1905 Madison Avenue Contributing Building
The two-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-influenced house displays a bellcast portico supported by fluted columns. Fluted pilasters frame the divided-light and paneled wood door flanked by multi-light sidelights. Windows are eight-over-eight. An enclosed, one-story, one-bay-wide, side-gabled porch on the east elevation is sheathed in synthetic siding. The 1948 city directory lists this house as under construction. Reverend Townsend was pastor of Grace Methodist Church.
Esther P. and William B. Truitt House1907 Madison Avenueca. 1928Contributing Building
The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, front-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-influenced house displays a flat-roofed portico graced with a dentil cornice. Tuscan columns and pilasters support the portico that is topped by a picket balustrade with crowning finials on its corner posts. A multi-light transom and multilight sidelights frame the paneled wood door. Windows are replacement nine-over-nine and are topped by brick relieving semi-elliptical arches with cast masonry keystones and abutments. A large brick intersecting gable is located on the east elevation; a synthetic-sided, front-gabled dormer is just forward of it. The west elevation displays another front-gable sheathed in brick. At least two corbelled brick chimneys rise from the interior. Truitt was vice president and manager of Carolina Iron and Steel Company.
Garage 1907 Madison Avenue ca. 1928 Contributing Building
Helen and Freeman Chrysler House 1908 Madison Avenue ca. 1928 Contributing Building The two-story, three-bay, irregularly-massed, hip-roofed, wood-shingled Colonial Revival-influenced house displays a front-facing hipped-roof block. A half-circular hood with a vaulted soffit supported by scrolled wood brackets crowns a blind fanlight with wood tracery over the divided-light door. The entry and a tall, narrow, divided-light arched window to its left (west) occupy the west side of the façade, which is stepped back slightly from the front-facing block and topped by a shed roof with flared eaves surmounted by a two-bay, hip-roofed dormer. A half-circle, louvered wood vent crowns the front slope of the hip-roofed front wing. At its first level, a hipped roof with slightly flared eaves tops a three-light bay window. A corbelled brick chimney rises from near the dwelling’s center. A one-story, hip-roofed, sun porch occupies the rear (north) side of the east elevation. While a hip-roofed, stucco-sheathed porte cochere attaches to the west elevation. Freeman Chrysler worked as a traveling salesman according to the 1928 city directory.
Helen J. and Barnard B. Vinson House1909 Madison Avenueca. 1925Contributing Building
The two-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style house displays a classical entry with a broken bed pediment with fretwork supported by Doric pilasters. A blind fanlight with a crowning keystone surmounts the paneled wood door with flanking multi-light sidelights. Windows are six-oversix replacements and on the lower level are topped with soldier-course lintels. A brick chimney rises from the east gable end of the main block, while an interior brick chimney is located on the rear roof slope. An arched-head window with tracery muntins pierces the upper west gable end. An enclosed, flatroofed porch on the east elevation is crowned with a wood balustrade and sheathed in synthetic siding.
The enclosed porch is fitted with a divided-light door and new six-over-six windows. The porch retains its round pilasters and fretwork. According to the 1925 city directory, Mr. Vinson was associated with Rice and Marley Company and Cox and Hawks Inc.
A one-story, two-bay, side-gabled, vinyl-sheathed garage stands in the rear yard.
Sara and Julius Smith House 1910 Madison Avenue ca. 1949 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional-style house displays an off-center, front-gabled brick projection sheathed with synthetic siding on its upper portion. A shed-roofed, brick entry contains a paneled wood door with a divided-light fanlight flanked by vertical bands of translucent block; this block also fills a bay on the east side of the shed-roofed entry. Windows are eight-over-eight, while a bay window consists of one large light flanked by six-over-six windows. An interior brick chimney rises from just behind the roof ridge. A telescoping, synthetic-sided rear ell attaches to the north elevation of a once-detached, front-gabled, one-bay brick garage. An enclosed porch occupies the west end of the rear elevation. The Smiths were listed as owner-occupants in the 1949 city directory.
Ella and Kenneth Deans House1911 Madison Avenueca. 1936Contributing Building
The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-inspired house displays two front-facing gables. The smaller, projecting gable with returns holds the classical entry composed of pilasters supporting a molded dentil cornice that surmounts a paneled wood and multi-light door. An oculus outlined in header-course brick pierces the taller front-facing gable. Windows are replacement six-oversix and both on the façade are crowned by a shallow segmental relieving arch; a cast stone keystone graces the arch on the front gable. A half-circle, divided-light dormer rests on the front roof slope. A brick chimney occupies the east gable end of the main block, where it intersects with the side-gabled, enclosed porch. Original wood pilasters supporting arched openings that have been framed and sheathed with synthetic siding and filled with windows characterize this one-story wing. An oculus like the one on the façade pierces the east gable end. A large, brick gabled ell extends from the rear. The house first appears in the city directory in 1936. Mr. Deans worked as a traveling salesman.
A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, brick garage stands in the rear yard.
Marietta and Henry Forlaw House 2000 Madison Avenue ca. 1953 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick Cape Cod house has been altered, but its original form remains evident. The entry is located beneath the side-gabled roof and is marked by two square wooden posts. Windows are eight-over-eight, except on the bay window right (east) of the entry where they are six-over-nine replacements. The two front-gabled dormers are sheathed in synthetic siding, as is the east and west elevation, side-gabled wings. An interior brick chimney rises between the main block and the east elevation side wing. A shed dormer with synthetic siding occupies the rear elevation. The east elevation includes a porch with heavy square posts and a wood balustrade. It connects the house to a pyramidal-roofed rear addition containing a two-bay garage on its lower level and living space above.
According to the 1953 city directory, Henry Forlaw was assistant sales manager at Odell Hardware.
Kate and William B. Farr Jr. House2001 Madison Avenueca. 1937Contributing Building
The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-inspired dwelling includes a front-gabled projection with quoins and oculi on the east and west sides. A classical entry with pilasters and a cornice graced by bullseyes frame a multi-light transom that surmounts the paneled wood door.
Windows are eight-over-twelve, except for the six-over-six windows in the pair of front-gabled dormers sheathed in diagonal weatherboard. A wide brick wall chimney rises from the east gable end of the main block. A one-story, brick wing attaches to the east elevation. A louvered wood oculus pierces its upper, weatherboard-sheathed gable. A front-gabled dormer occupies the rear roof slope. A one-and-a-halfstory, gabled brick ell extends from the rear and features front-gabled dormers on its east and west roof slopes. A hip-roofed screened porch is located on the south end of the rear ell. The 1937 city directory lists Mr. Farr Jr. as a manager. Kate Farr remained the owner until 1996.