«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»
A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, brick garage stands in the rear yard. Its front gable end is sheathed in weatherboard. A modern door fills the garage bay.
Sarah and Don D. Folk House 2003 Madison Avenue ca. 1927 Contributing Building The two-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick English Cottage style dwelling displays a two-story, brick front gable whose upper gable is graced with decorative bands of soldier-course brick and pierced by a tall, narrow, louvered wood vent. A wood pendant crowns the gable’s raking cornice. Brick posts and heavy paneled wood posts support the partial-façade shed-roofed porch that shelters a paneled wood door. An arched brick opening is located on the east end of the porch. Windows are six-over-one with those on the first level of the front gable and on the west end of the side-gabled portion’s façade topped by relieving brick arches. Soldier-course brick lintels top other windows. A three-bay, stucco shed dormer rests on the front roof slope. Brick end chimneys rise from each gable end. The 1928 city directory indicates that Don Folk was a manager at the Corley Company.
Garage 2003 Madison Avenue ca. 1970 Noncontributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled hardboard sided garage stands in the rear yard. It does not appear on the 1966 Sanborn Fire Insurance map.
Edna and Samuel Ziegler House 2004 Madison Avenue ca. 1925 Contributing Building The two-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick and half-timbered stucco Tudor Revival-style house displays a front-facing, projecting gable. A smaller brick, front-gabled entry with slightly-flared eaves projects from the east end of the larger gable. It contains a Tudor arch filled with a wood batten door with an upper light with diamond muntin pattern; half-timbered stucco sheathes the upper gable of the entry. Windows are primarily six-over-six and in the brick field are topped with brick lintels. Brick chimneys are located on the east end and west ends of the two-story block. The east chimney rises through the roof of an east elevation of a one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick wing. An exterior brick NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) chimney occupies its east elevation. The 1929 city directory gives Mr. Ziegler’s employer as Ziegler Brothers, which was a paving company.
Alda and Charles C. Wimbish House 2005 Madison Avenue ca. 1929 Contributing Building The two-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, irregularly rubble-coursed, stone Colonial Revivalinfluenced dwelling with a slate roof displays outstanding masonry work and period detailing. A dentil course and modillion blocks grace the cornice, while a band of granite extends as a continuous sill just below the upper façade’s windows. The entry is recessed within a round arched opening outlined by stone voussoirs. A fanlight with metal tracery surmounts the paneled wood door framed by sidelights.
Keystones and voussoirs, all executed in stone, top the first floor ten-over-ten windows. Windows on the upper façade are six-over-six. Three, front-gabled dormers with six-over-six, arched-head windows rest on the front roof slope. Stone wall chimneys occupy each gable end of the main block. A one-story, flatroofed porch occupies each gable end. On the west elevation, the porch is open with stone supports and arched openings with stone voussoirs. The enclosed sunporch on the east elevation features French doors. The house first appears in the city directory in 1929. Wimbish was president and manager of Home Detective Company. That year Alda and Charles’s son, Charles Jr., lived in the house also and worked as a clerk for his father’s company.
Garage 2005 Madison Avenue ca. 1980 Noncontributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, side-gabled, garage with wall dormer stands in the rear yard. The garage is not completely visible from the right-of-way.
House 2006 Madison Avenue ca. 1979 Noncontributing Building The two-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick neo-Colonial Revival house carries several features found in neighborhood houses from the 1920s and 1930s. A broken pediment with a center finial and supported by pilasters frame the paneled wood door with a leaded glass transom and sidelights. Windows are nineNPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) over-nine and six-over-six and on the first floor façade they are crowned by brick voussoirs. Brick quoins mark the dwelling’s corners. A brick chimney rises from the west gable end. A one-story ell extends from the northwest (rear) corner, but it is not visible from the right-of-way.
Garage 2006 Madison Avenue ca. 1979 Noncontributing Building A one-and-a-half-story, side-gabled, brick garage stands in the rear yard.
Sallie and John Patterson House 2203 Madison Avenue ca. 1931 Contributing Building The two-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style dwelling displays fretwork on its cornice. A front-gabled portico continues the key motif and is supported by Tuscan columns and paneled pilasters. The portico’s soffit is vaulted and shelters a blind fanlight that surmounts a paneled wood door framed by multi-light sidelights. Windows are eight-over-eight with those on the first floor facade topped by cast masonry keystones flanked by flat brick arches. Brick chimneys rise from each gable end of the main block. A modern sunporch occupies the east gable end. On the west gable end, a one-story, hip and gable-roofed, brick wing displays flat arches and keystones over its four-over-four and six-oversix windows. Extensive additions occupy the rear elevation. According to the 1931 city directory, Mr.
Patterson was head of J. D. Patterson Company, a grocery and meat wholesaler.
Garage 2203 Madison Avenue ca. 2000 Noncontributing Building A one-and-a-half-story, one-bay, side-gabled, brick garage with two front-gabled dormers stands in the rear yard. It does not appear on the 1966 Sanborn Fire Insurance Company maps.
The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, cross-gabled, brick Tudor Revival-style house displays a front gable sheathed with half-timbered stucco above its upper story windows. Square posts with caps and tall bases support a front-gabled portico with half-timbered stucco. It shelters a wood batten door with upper lights. Windows are six-over-six and on the first level are surmounted by drip or hood molding executed in brick. Casement windows pierce the façade of the half-timbered stucco shed dormer resting on the front roof slope. A hip-roofed dormer with the same finish, but with a six-over-six window rests on the east roof slope of the principal front gable. A corbelled brick chimney rises from the front of the intersection of the main block and a one-story, side-gabled, brick sun room with a half-timbered stucco gable end. A patio is located forward of this wing. According to the 1931 city directory, Mr. Cram was a salesman.
Garage 2204 Madison Avenue ca. 1950 Contributing Building A one-story, two-bay, side-gabled, brick garage stands in the rear yard. The 1966 Sanborn map shows a smaller garage at the same location.
Mamie and Lacy Scott House 2205 Madison Avenue ca. 1937 Contributing Building The two-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-inspired house features an unusual sawnwork entrance topped by an ogee arch framing a paneled wood door. Windows are six-over-six, including those in the two wall dormers. Brick chimneys occupy each gable end of the main block. A one-story, side-gabled, brick wing extends from the east elevation and is stepped back from the plane of the facade. A shed-roofed wall dormer and a front-gabled dormer occupy the rear elevation. A small shed-roofed ell is located on the rear. The 1937 city directory lists Lacy Scott as superintendent of the gas department of Duke Power. That year they lived in the house with their one child.
A one-story, front-gabled garage lacking doors stands in the rear yard. It does not appear on the 1966 Sanborn map.
Annie and Charles Boyd House 2206 Madison Avenue ca. 1939 Contributing Building The two-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style dwelling displays a segmental pediment with returns and dentils features a plain architrave above a pair of paneled pilasters with molded caps. The classical pediment frames a paneled wood door with leaded-glass sidelights with lower wood panels. Windows are eight-over-eight and a pair of brick chimneys occupies the east and west gable ends of the main block. An open porch with a metal hipped roof and decorative wood spandrels and wood posts extends from the east elevation. The same roof type surmounts a one-story, one-bay brick wing on the west elevation that appears to be a later addition. A two-story, one-bay, sidegabled, brick wing extends from the north (rear) of the west elevation, just behind the one-story wing. A two-story, brick, rear ell with a front-gabled screened porch on its upper level attaches to the rear of the main block. The ell features six-over-six windows. A one-story, hip-roofed ell is located on the rear, just to the west of the two-story ell. According to the 1939 city directory, Mr. Boyd was a partner in the law firm of York & Boyd.
Garage 2206 Madison Avenue ca. 1980 Noncontributing Building A one-and-a-half-story, two-bay, front-gabled, brick garage stands in the rear yard. It replaced a smaller garage which appears on the 1966 Sanborn map.
House 2303 Madison Avenue ca. 1973 Noncontributing Building
House 2305 Madison Avenue ca. 1973 Noncontributing Building The one-story, six-bay, side-gabled, wood-shingled house features a front-gabled carport supported by columns. The paneled wood and multi-light door is recessed and windows are six-over-nine and sixover-six. A wide brick chimney rests on the front roof slope.
House 2307 Madison Avenue ca. 1979 Noncontributing Building The one-story, side-gabled, vertical-wood-sheathed contemporary house sits on a sloping hillside. A wood bridge allows access from the parking space to the front door. Large fixed-light windows are located on the façade. A chimney with synthetic siding rises from the west elevation.
Shiplett-Taylor House2401 Madison Avenue Contributing Building
The one-story, four-bay, gable-on-hip-roofed, brick Ranch house features a wide brick chimney that projects slightly forward of the façade and with its narrow side facing forward. The chimney serves as the east wall of the recessed entrance. A projecting bay window is likely a later addition and all windows have been replaced with modern slider types. Jamie and Roscoe Shiplett bought the property in 1954 and first appear at this address in the 1955 city directory. He was sales manager for Jones Brother Bakery. In 1961 the Shipletts sold the house to Virginia and Julian Taylor; the Taylor family still owns the house.
Frances S. and Harold L. Hosley House 2403 Madison Avenue ca. 1955 Contributing Building
interior brick chimney rises from the rear roof slope. Windows are six-over-six, except in the three-part picture window containing a twenty-light fixed window flanked by four-over-four sash. The Hosleys bought the property in 1952, but do not appear at this address until the 1956 city directory. He was superintendent for Guilford Industries for the Blind. The Hosely heirs owned the house until 1991.
Rosemary and Broadus Troxler House2405 Madison Avenueca. 1956Contributing Building
The one-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Ranch house displays a flat-roofed porch with dentils and turned posts sheltering a paneled wood door with sidelights. The façade beneath the porch is sheathed in vertical wood. Windows are six-over-six and a brick chimney rises from the east elevation. A shedroofed porch with a dentil cornice occupies the west gabled end; it sits atop a below grade garage. The Troxlers bought the property in 1952, but do not appear in the city directory until 1957. They owned and operated Rosemary Designs Company, which sold furniture and wrought iron components. They owned the house until 2002.
(former) First Christian Church Parsonage 2406 Madison Avenue ca. 1955 Contributing Building The one-story, eight-bay, hip-roofed, brick Ranch house with wide overhanging eaves displays a projecting wing on its façade containing three windows. A broad brick chimney occupies the west end of the façade. Windows are six-over-six. A sunroom with one-over-one windows with paneled wood aprons below is located on the west elevation. First Christian Church bought the property in 1952 and the first pastor to appear at this address after the church’s purchase was Rev. Robert Jarman and his wife June Jarman. The church owned the house until 1985.
Elizabeth and Robert J. Parker House2407 Madison Avenueca. 1955Contributing Building
The one-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Ranch house is composed of two blocks: the western section is three bays wide and sits slightly higher than the eastern block, which is sheathed on its façade in vertical wood and contains the entry and a three-part picture window. All windows are vinyl NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) replacements. The Parkers bought the property in 1953, but do not appear in the city directory until
1956. He was a supervisor for Guilford Dairy Co-op Association. They owned the house until 2000.
Florence and Fredrick Badenhoop House 2408 Madison Avenue ca. 1957 Contributing Building The one-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick Ranch house displays a slightly projecting, bay with one window on the center of the façade. The entry is located on the recessed eastern bay, next to a three-part picture window. All windows are vinyl replacements. A brick chimney rises from the east gable end.
The Badenhoops bought the property in 1956 and first appear at this address in the 1957 city directory.
He was an analyst for J. P. Stevens and Company. They sold the house in 1965.
Shed 2408 Madison Avenue ca. 1957 Contributing Building A small, front-gabled shed with t-111 plywood siding and windows with two horizontal lights over two horizontal lights stands in the rear yard. A wood pediment surmounts the vertical wood door.
Violet and Vernon Somers House 2409 Madison Avenue ca. 1955 Contributing Building The one-story, four-bay, cross-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional house includes a flat-roofed porch supported by decorative cast metal posts. It shelters a picture window and a door with sidelights.