«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»
Mary and the Honorable Thomas B. Shaw House 1901 West Market Street ca. 1930 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, four-bay, side-gabled, coursed ashlar house with colonial elements is composed of two parts: the two-bay west block containing the entry and the two-bay east block, which sits slightly lower, but is longer. The stone steps and stone stoop bordered by a metal railing are forward of the paneled wood door with four, arched-head lights at the top. A keystone with stone radiating voussoirs tops the door and is illuminated by an original metal Tudor-style lantern. All windows-- both the six-over-six and eight-over-eight--display the same molding as the door. The west block features two wall dormers on both the façade and rear elevation. A west gable end stone chimney protrudes through the roof of a shed-roof screen porch occupying that end of the house. Aluminum siding sheathes the front-gabled dormers resting on the front roof slope of the east block; aluminum also covers the large shed dormer on the rear roof slope. A three-part window pierces the upper story of the east gable end of the east block. Two sets of three-paneled garage doors pierce the lower level of the rear of the east block. Metal casement windows are located on the lower level of the rear elevations of both blocks.
Mary and the Honorable Thomas B. Shaw likely built this house and first appear at this address in the 1931 city directory. They sold it in 1937. In 1939 Morris Stadiem, who owned a real estate company, bought the property and appears as the occupant in the 1940 city directory. The Stadiem family remained owners until 1988. St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church now owns it.
NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Vacant Lot 1905 West Market Street Vacant Lot 1907 West Market Street Pearl and James M. Crutchfield House 2002 West Market Street ca. 1925 Contributing Building The two-and-a-half-story, five-bay, side-gabled, uncoursed rubble stone Colonial Revival-style house with a modillion and dentil cornice displays a front pedimented portico with dentils. Tuscan columns and pilasters support the tile-roofed portico that shelters the multi-light door topped by a blind, paneled transom. A patio extends along the façade and the east elevation wing and is fronted with a cast concrete, turned balustrade. The six-over-one windows are topped by stone voussoirs and rest on granite sills. Three front-gabled, tile-roofed dormers with pilasters framing sash with patterned muntins occupy the front slope of the tile roof. Stone chimneys flanked by arched-head windows occupy the east and west gable ends of the main block. The one-story, flat-roofed, east wing with a dentil cornice features a multi-light door with sidelights and transoms on its façade. Paired paneled pilasters occupy the corner and a turned balustrade with paneled corner posts tops the flat roof. The west elevation porte-cochere shares some of the features of the east wing including the dentil cornice and turned balustrade, which also spans the west side between two of the Tuscan columns that support the structure. Plumbing contractor James M. Crutchfield bought the property from A. K. Moore Realty in April 1925. The Crutchfields sold the house in March 1940. A lamp post in the yard carries the name of the current owner, the Chaney family, who purchased the house in 1987.
Garage2002 West Market Streetca. 1925Contributing Building
A one-and-a-half-story, side-gabled uncoursed ashlar garage with a tile, side-gabled roof stands in the rear yard. Front-gable dormers with fanlight transoms rest on the front roof slope. A paneled wood and multi-light door with a transom is flanked by garage bays. The three façade bays are topped with stone splayed lintels.
NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Hettie O. and Richard L. Hollowell House 2100 West Market Street ca. 1925 Contributing Building The two-and-a-half-story, three-bay, truncated hip-roofed, sand-colored-brick, Colonial Revival-style dwelling displays a bracketed cornice and ceramic tile roof. Corinthian columns and pilasters support the one-story portico with dentils and a crowning metal balustrade fronting its flat roof. The columns stand on a brick stoop forward of a multi-light door with leaded-glass sidelights. Windows are primarily six-over-one with some four-over-one sash. Raised brick diamond motifs are positioned under the second floor windows on both sides of the portico. Vertical bands of stretcher-course bricks frame the upper floor windows, while soldier-course bricks extend horizontally below the cornice and above the windows; a stringcourse of header-course bricks extends below the second floor sills and along the entire façade. Three arched-head dormers—the center one taller than the others—occupy the front roof slope; a pair of smaller arched-head dormers is found on the east and west elevation roof slopes. A corbeled brick chimney rises from the rear elevation. A one-story, flat-roofed, brick wing with a crowning balustrade and dentils along its cornice occupies the east elevation. Tall shrubbery obscures its façade, but it appears to have a multi-light door with a transom and sidelights. A porte-cochere on the west elevation is supported by rectangular brick posts that extend to form the corner posts for the metal balustrade fronting the flat roof. Like the rest of the house, the porte-cochere displays a dentil cornice.
The Hollowells bought the property from A. K. Moore Realty in April 1925; Mr. Hollowell was treasurer of A. K. Moore Realty and vice-president of Moore Mitchell, an insurance company. They sold the house in 1943 to West Market Street Church, which owned it until 1968.
Garage 2100 West Market Street ca. 1925 Contributing Building A one-and-a-half-story, side-gabled, sand-colored-brick garage with eave brackets, a tile roof and wall dormers stands in the rear yard.
The two-and-a-half-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick, Colonial Revival-style dwelling displays a modillion cornice, gable returns, and a tile roof. The flat-roofed portico features a frontispiece flanked by arched-head, tall, narrow sidelights with wood keystones and wood panels below. Corinthian columns and pilasters grace the portico that shelters a recessed paneled wood door with a multi-light transom, and sidelights with a muntin pattern similar to the sidelights flanking the projecting portico. A metal balustrade with finials tops the portico and fronts a second story entrance composed of French doors topped by a blind wood fanlight and framed by pilasters. A wide blind arched pediment tops the doors and flanking sidelights with lower wood panels. A header-course brick arch with cast concrete keystone and springers surmounts the bay. Cast keystones set in relieving header-course brick flat arches top the six-over six windows. Three arched-head six-over-six dormers with tile sides rest on the front roof slope. Internal end brick chimneys are located on the east and west elevations of the two-story block. The upper story of each gable end is pierced with quarter-round lights with spoke muntins. A one-story, flat-roofed, sun porch wing occupies the east elevation. It features multi-light transoms over its door and windows and Corinthian columns and pilasters mark the corners. A wood Chippendale balustrade with square posts tops the wing. A porte-cochere on the west elevation carries features similar to the east wing including Corinthian columns and a Chippendale balustrade on its flat roof. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. The Strouds bought the property from A. K. Moore Realty in March
1925. He was a salesman. In 1929 they sold it to Alice and John K. Voehringer, who was president of the textile concern Mock, Judson, and Voehringer Company. In 1940, Pearl and Charles Irvin, president of Elam Drug Company, bought the house and it remains in the Irvin family.
Garage 2102 West Market Street ca. 1925 Contributing Building A one-story, side-gabled with returns, brick garage with six-over-six windows, arched-head dormers, and an interior chimney stands in the rear yard (obscured).
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church 2105 West Market Street 1945, 1948-49, 1957-59 Contributing Building St. Andrew's Episcopal Church is a sprawling Colonial Revival-style, brick church built in three phases.
The current parish house (the westernmost section) is the oldest portion and dates to 1945. A one-story, front-gabled, wood portico fronts the one-story, front-gabled building supported by paneled wood posts and pilasters. A louvered, cameo, wood vent pierces the center of the front gable. A triangular, louvered NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) wood vent pierces the upper front gable and a wood cross straddles the front roof ridge. On the west elevation, a wide, front-gabled, wood portico supported by paneled wood posts and pilasters shelters a wide, synthetic door with a single flanking sidelight. A louvered wood cameo vent pierces the tympanum. Windows are replacements and topped with molded cornices. This portion of the building originally housed the chapel, Sunday school rooms, a social hall, and an office and was built with the intention of expanding the church campus when the congregation's financial situation improved. In 1948-1949, a new chapel and parish hall were added to the original building. This new chapel, like the earlier building, is front-gabled, but with a long rear side-gabled wing that extends to connect to the rear of the original building. A portico identical to the earlier one fronts the 1948-1948 building. Windows on the façade are like those on the earlier building but east elevation windows lack the molded cornice.
The side-gabled wing is fronted with a portico like those on the front-gabled blocks. This portico shelters a door with sidelights. All doors and windows on the mid- to late-1940s sections are replacements. The commodious Colonial Revival-style chapel was begun in late 1957 with first services held on Palm Sunday, 1959. Massive square wood posts and pilasters with molded caps support the fullheight, front-gabled, wood portico graced with curved modillion blocks and a louvered wood cameo vent at the center of the tympanum. The underside is paneled, while the floor is slate. A double-leaf entry with paneled wood doors is framed by fluted pilasters and topped by a swan's neck pediment. A multi-light window with an arched top pierces the wall above the entry. The front of the building projects slightly and on its east elevation features a double-leaf, wood door with a leaded-glass transom and framed by pilasters supporting a molded cornice with scrolled consoles. A cameo window occupies the wall above this side entrance; a large window pierces the west side of the front projection. On the remainder of the church, twenty-over-twenty windows set in recessed brick arches framed by soldiercourse brick arches with concrete keystones and soldier-course brick pilasters with concrete caps pierce the side elevations. A wide concrete string course extends below the windows on the east and west elevations. A large, three-tiered, wood bell tower and steeple straddles the ridge of the front projection.
A flat-roofed, two-story, brick addition is located on the rear of the chapel. A front-gabled entry porch with wood supports shelters a paneled wood door on the east elevation. Windows are eight-over-eight.
This rear addition extends to the west and connects the 1959 chapel to the 1949 chapel. A classical entrance with a multi-light transom framed by pilasters and a molded cornice with curved consoles is located on the north elevation of flat-roofed addition and forward of an urn garden located between the 1959 chapel and the 1949 chapel. This elevation is pierced by bays topped with radiating segmental flat arches with keystones; bays to the east of the entry are filled with nine-over-nine windows, while those west of the door are filled with opaque glass with a wood panel beneath.
The two-story, five-bay, hip-roofed, brick neo-Georgian-style house displays a modillion cornice. A two-tier, front-gabled portico with Tuscan columns on the first level and Ionic columns on the upper level is centered on the façade. On the first level it shelters a pilastered entry with a fanlight, while the second level displays a multi-light door. A scalloped bargeboard graces the fascia above the first level, while a wheel window pierces the tympanum. Flat brick segmental arches top the six-over-six windows.
Interior brick chimneys rise from either side of the roof peak. A one-story portico with Tuscan columns fronts a multi-light door on the north end of the east elevation; it appears to wrapround to the rear where it is topped by a flat roof, also supported by Tuscan columns.
Carport 2200 West Market Street Noncontributing Structure A one-story, side-gabled, brick carport and storage building is located just off the northeast corner of the dwelling. Brick posts support the open carport.