«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»
Mamie and Claude Kiser House 2201 West Market Street ca. 1930 Contributing Building The two-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Tudor Revival-style dwelling has stucco and half- timbering on its upper level and two front-facing, projecting gables. The westernmost front gable projects slightly forward of the eastern gable, which on its upper level displays uncoursed brick and a decorative, scrolled bargeboard with a center turned pendant at the gable's apex. A front-gabled entry portico with square supports and pilasters and a decorative sawn wood balustrade shelters a paneled wood and multi-light door and a slate and brick stoop. A one-story, side-gabled wing with limestone quoins is located on the east gable end. All windows are replacements and include six-over-six and four-over-four. Some on the façade are framed in limestone. Wide, brick chimneys are found on the east gable end of the main, twostory block and on the exterior end of the two-story rear ell, just east of the roof ridge. A recessed entry porch with Tudor arch openings with wood support posts is located on the southeast corner. A wide brick post with a curved shoulder supports the front corner of the porch, which is recessed under the catslide roof. Hip-roofed dormers rest on the east and west slopes of the ell's roof. A rear paneled wood door is sheltered by a small hip-roofed hood. The Kisers, who appear at this address in the 1930 city directory, are the earliest known occupants. He was a banker.
Garage 2201 West Market Street ca. 1930; ca. 1995 Contributing Building A one-story, side-gabled, brick and stucco and half-timbered building stands behind the house. It has a catslide roof and a forward-facing gable on its rear elevation. The front door is a metal modern type.
This was originally a garage, but in 1995 it was remodeled to provide space for a music room, a nursery, and meeting space.
Marguerite and Mayes Behrman House2202 West Market Streetca. 1935Contributing Building
The two-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick, Colonial Revival-style dwelling displays a Greek key motif on its cornice. A one-story, front-gabled portico with a dentiled cornice and supported by paired, slender columns has a vaulted soffit and gable returns. Pilasters frame the entry composed of sidelights with paneling below flanking a paneled wood and multi-light door. Windows are replacements with first floor sash topped by cast concrete keystones and flat brick arches. Brick, exterior chimneys rise from the gable ends. The east chimney rises forward of the roof ridge and through the roof of the one-story, sidegabled sunporch with six-over-six windows and a multi-light door. Dentils grace the cornice. On the west, a side-gabled, brick garage features two auto bays and a flight of concrete steps with metal railing leading to a multi-light and paneled wood door. A shed dormer sheathed in synthetic siding and containing eight-over-eight windows rests on the front roof slope. The Behrmans bought the property in April 1935 and first appear at this address in the 1936 city directory. He was a salesman. They sold the house in 1941. The next owners, Betty and Carlton Jester Jr., who was a salesman, owned the house from 1941 to 1990.
Shed 2202 West Market Street ca. 1935 Contributing Building
Dimple and John Ayres House 2204 West Market Street ca. 1928 Contributing Building The two-story, five-bay, side-gabled, slate-roofed, brick, Colonial Revival-style dwelling features a modillion course and dentil cornice. A flat-roofed portico with a dentil cornice is supported by fluted columns and pilasters and shelters a paneled wood door with sidelights with wood panels below. A metal balustrade tops the portico. Cast stone keystones with flat brick arches top the replacement sixover-six windows. Brick chimneys occupy each gable end of the main block. A one-story, flat-roofed, brick wing with six-over-six windows and topped by a wood Chippendale balustrade with posts and finials occupies the east elevation. Behind it stands a two-story, side-gabled block with gable returns.
The west elevation displays a similar arrangement, but the one-story wing is an open porch supported by fluted columns. The flat-roofed porch is topped by a wood Chippendale balustrade with posts and finials and shelters French doors with sidelights. A single-leaf multi-light door pierces the west gable end and leads to the balcony above the porch. The Ayres bought the property in April 1927 and first appear at this address in the 1929 city directory. He was secretary-treasurer of New Method Laundry Company.
The Ayres sold the property to Estelle and William R. Deaton; the Deaton family owned the house until 1973.
Garage 2204 West Market Street ca. 1928 Contributing Building The one-story, side-gabled, brick garage has a single auto bay on its façade.
Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church 2205 West Market Street Contributing Building The highly ornate, neo-Gothic Revival-style church is built of Rowan County pink granite with limestone trim and sculptures. A long front-gabled block forms the nave. A flat limestone parapet crowns each elevation. The façade is the most ornate elevation of the church. Here, a stone balustrade is the crowning features. Below it a statue of Mary and Baby Jesus flanked by angels and forward of a recessed tracery window occupies the recess of an upper level round limestone arch. Below, a scene of NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Jesus's salvation of mankind is composed of carved stone is set in the tympanum of a Gothic arch above the double-leaf wood doors with arched-head stained glass lights with diamond-shaped muntins. Large ornate metal strap hinges hold the doors. A small, one-story, five-sided, limestone-clad, hipped-roof apsidioles is located on the north ends of the east and west elevations. Each is pierced with Gothic arch windows. Other windows on the building include the narrow lancet windows with stone tracery and limestone surround, small metal, framed stained glass windows with leaded, diamond-patterned muntins found on the rear elevation, and the seven large, Gothic-arched stained glass windows on the east and west elevations separated by granite pilasters with limestone caps. The bottom portion of the pilasters intersect with buttresses with limestone caps that span the pent roof surmounting the interior side aisles.
A door identical to the one on the façade is found on north elevation of the east side of the transept. A belfry with buttresses, a rose window, lancet windows, and an arched-head window with upper tracery is situated on the south end of the west elevation.
Julian Price (1867-1946), chairman of the board of Jefferson Life Insurance, and, after his death, his children, funded the church's construction as a tribute to Price's wife Ethel Clay Price, who died in 1943.
Bishop Vincent Waters, Bishop of the Diocese of Raleigh gave Price a file containing depictions of many churches in the United States. As a model for Our Lady of Grace, Price chose the Church of Our Lady of Refuge in Brooklyn, New York. Henry V. Murphy (1888-1960), the architect for the New York church, scaled down the design in order to construct a church that would accommodate 500. Price gave the Bishop $400,000 for construction, but died in car accident in 1946 before construction began.
Parish Activity Center2205 West Market Street Noncontributing Building
The two- and three-story, flat-roofed, concrete, Brutalist-style building is fitted with metal frame windows. Panels of vertically-striated, buff-colored concrete with expanses of smooth-faced concrete compose the exterior. Window openings are few and doors are double-leaf, metal-frame, fully-glazed types. Entrances are located on the north side in hyphen that connects the gymnasium to the east and the classrooms on the west and on the lower floor of the west elevation facing S. Chapman Street. One section of the classroom portion overhangs on the north elevation, while the entire third floor on the west elevation overhangs the two floors below.
The two-story, fourteen-bay, coursed, rock-faced pink granite, Gothic Revival-influenced school building displays limestone trim. A flat roof tops the building that displays two-story side blocks flanking the two-story-on-basement main block. Two-bay projections with gabled limestone stepped parapets are centered on the façade, rear elevation, and east and west ends. Limestone crosses extend nearly the height of the projections, terminating at the bottom just above the limestone water tables.
Entrances are on the ends of the façade and are composed of replacement fully-glazed metal doors with fully-glazed sidelights and topped by wide, Gothic-arch wood transom with mullions separating the narrow, arched-head lights. Large, nearly two-story recessed panels topped with modillion blocks grace the east and west ends. An eight-sided, pink granite flue rises from the interior at the southeast corner.
All windows are replacements with many topped by transoms; all windows rest atop limestone sills.
Pearl and James Beavers House2206 West Market Streetca. 1950Contributing Building
The two-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick, Colonial Revival-style dwelling features a swan’s neck pediment with a dentil cornice and crowning finial. Fluted pilasters frame the recessed entry with paneled reveals. A multi-light transom tops the paneled wood door. First floor windows are eight-overtwelve replacements topped with brick, radiating, flat arches and with paneled wood aprons below.
Upper windows are six-over-six. An exterior brick chimney rises from the west gable end forward of the roof ridge. Another brick chimney occupies the east side of the rear elevation and rises through the roof of a brick ell. A one-story, side-gabled, brick wing occupies the east gable end, but is stepped back from the principal façade. A one-story wing on the west elevation contains an open, weatherboard-sided porch with wood posts and wood balustrade on its front half. The rear portion is enclosed and sheathed in brick. A brick ell containing a garage extends from the rear elevation. The Beavers bought the property in 1950 and first appear at this address in the 1951-1952 city directory. He was a physician. They owned the house until 1996.
Louise W. and Harry J. O’Connor House 2300 West Market Street ca. 1955 Contributing Building The one-story, seven-bay, side-gabled, brick, Ranch house features a dentil cornice and double-leaf door flanked by sidelights with panels below. Pilasters frame the entry with plain reveal. Windows are likely replacement one-over-one sash. A wide chimney straddles the roof ridge. A gabled ell extends from the NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) east end of the rear elevation. Attached to the ell by a short, side-gabled hyphen is a long, side-gabled, brick wing with a cross gable at its south end; a chimney fronts the cross gable on its east end. Because of the topography, the rear of the long wing includes a basement. Windows on this rear wing are oneover-one. The O’Connors bought the property in 1956 and first appear at this address in the 1957 city directory. He owned Harry’s Flowers. They owned the house until 1980.
Pearl and Archie Sykes House2301 West Market Streetca. 1926Contributing Building
The two-story, five-bay, side-gabled, beaded weatherboard, Colonial Revival-style house displays paneled cornerposts and a dentiled cornice. Slate tiles surmont the roof. Fluted columns set on a brick stoop support a front-gabled portico with dentils, gable returns and a vaulted soffit sheathed in tongue and groove. Medallions with a floral motif grace the portico's frieze. The portico shelters the paneled wood door with a semi-elliptical fanlight with a wood keystone and multi-light sidelights. Three frontgabled dormers with dentils and six-over-six windows with half-circle fanlights rest on the front roof slope. Brick chimneys rise from the gable ends of the two-story block and are flanked b arched-head windows on the upper level. One-story, flat roofed wings with wood balustrades and cornerposts like those on the main block occupy the east and west elevations. The west wing has been altered with the addition of shed-roofed bay windows and an oval window on the west elevation. The east wing displays paired four-over-four windows separated by pilasters. The rear, or south end, of the porch is open and supported by fluted columns. The west half of the rear elevation projects and is topped with a large, shed-roofed dormer, which is likely an addition. Below, a front-gabled portico with fluted columns similar to the one on the façade shelters the rear entrance. The columns rest on a high brick porch fronted by brick stairs with curved metal balustrades. A non-compatible sunroom enclosure is to the west of the portico. A shed dormer also occupies the roof slope of the east end of the rear façade. An earlier owner replaced all windows. Pearl and Archie Sykes bought the property in November 1925 and first appear in the 1926 city directory. The Sykes owned and operated Sykes Florists, which was located at 120 West Market Street. They sold the house in 1933. In December 1935, Mary and Lennox P.
McLendon bought the house. He was an attorney and a judge. The house transferred to Mary McLendon in 1969 and she owned it until 1971. From 1974 to 1982, Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church owned the house and used it as parish activity center.
A one-story, side-gabled, two-bay, weatherboard garage with weatherboard siding stands in the rear yard. The garage doors are replacements.