«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»
Lora and James Raynor House 2302 West Market Street ca. 1955 Contributing Building The one-story, four-bay, hip-roofed, brick, Ranch house features a central projection sheathed in simulated stone and pierced by a three-part, Chicago-style window. The paneled wood door is to the west and is set in a board-and-batten-sheathed recess. Metal balustrades flank a brick stoop. Windows are two-over-two. A chimney rises from the east end of the main block where a side-gabled block connects to a two-bay, hip-roofed, side wing with one-over-one windows. This wing likely contains a garage. The Raynors bought the property in 1954 and first appear at this address in the 1955 city directory. He owned Raynors Barber Shop. The Raynor family owned the house until 2008.
House2303 West Market Streetca. 1980Noncontributing Building
The two-story, three-bay, brick, neo-Colonial Revival style dwelling presents a classical entrance composed of a broken pediment and pilasters framing a paneled wood door with multi-light sidellights with paneling below. Brick steps lead to a brick stoop. Windows are six-over-six and nine-over-nine with flat radiating arches and header-course sills. A one-story, side-gabled, brick wing with six-over-six windows attaches to the east gable end.
Maud G. and Leonard B. Hurley House2304 West Market Streetca. 1926Contributing Building
The two-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick, Colonial Revival-style dwelling displays a dentil cornice and slate roof. A front-gabled, pedimented portico with dentils and Doric columns and pilasters shelters a paneled wood door with a fanlight and sidelights with tracery muntins. An acroterion occupies the tympanum. Windows are six-over-six windows; some windows on the side elevations have been replaced. A three-part window above the entry features four-over-four windows flanking a six-over-six NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) window. A row of soldier-course brick extends along the bottom of the second floor windows on each elevation. Three arched-head dormers with returns occupy the front roof slope. Brick chimneys occupy the gable ends of the main block. A flat-roofed porch with a dentil cornice, fluted columns, and a wood Chinese Chippendale balustrade occupies the east elevation. The west elevation displays a sunroom, also with dentils and a Chinese Chippendale balustrade. Multi-light windows and fluted pilasters extend along the exterior. A large addition occupies the rear elevation, but it is not visible from the right-ofway. The Hurleys bought the property in September 1925 and first appear at this address in the 1927 city directory. He was a teacher at the North Carolina College for Women. The Hurley family owned the house until 1968.
Garage 2304 West Market Street ca. 1926 Contributing Building A one-story, hip-roofed, brick garage occupies the rear yard.
Bertha M. and Steven P. Hill House 2305 West Market Street ca. 1955 Contributing Building The one-story, four-bay, brick, side-gabled Ranch house has a recessed entrance sheathed in vertical wood and fronted with a brick stoop and brick steps with flanking metal balustrade. Leaded glass sidelights with panels below flank the plain wood door. An interior brick chimney rises from behind the roof ridge. Windows are modern casement types. The Hills bought the property in 1956 and the house is listed as “under construction” in the 1957 city directory; the Hills occupied the house by the time the 1958 city directory was published. The Hills owned the house until 1976.
Marie E. and Wilbur L. Carter House2306 West Market Streetca. 1930Contributing Building
The two-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick, Period Revival dwelling features a shallow centered, projecting front-facing gable with returns and an upper, tall, narrow, louvered wood vent. A recessed paneled wood door is framed in a slight brick projection topped by a metal balustrade. Tall, narrow, three-light windows flank the projection on the first level. Three four-over-four windows occupy the NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) upper level and are topped by a header-course brick relieving arch. Windows throughout the house are eight-over-eight, with first floor façade windows including flanking two-over-two windows. Brick chimneys occupy the gable ends of the two-story block. A side-gabled sun room attaches to the west elevation. Its gable end is sheathed in weatherboard and pierced by a tall, narrow, louvered wood vent.
On the east elevation, an open carport is topped by a pergola and a side-gabled roof. A one-story, hiproofed, one-room-deep addition attaches to the west end of the rear elevation. A hip-roofed addition also extends from the rear. The Carters bought the property in September 1929 and first appear at this address in the 1930 city directory. He was an agent for Life Insurance Company of Virginia. The Carters heirs sold the property in 1989.
Garage 2306 West Market Street ca. 1930 Contributing Building A one-story, side-gabled, brick garage stands in the rear yard.
Virginia and Pate Boyd House 2307 West Market Street ca. 1960 Contributing Building The one-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Ranch house has a recessed entrance sheathed in weatherboard. Brick steps flanked by a metal balustrade lead to a brick stoop forward of the paneled wood and multi-light door. Windows are six-over-nine and an interior chimney rises from the interior just behind the roof ridge. A flat-roof carport is located on the rear elevation. The Boyds bought the property in 1960 and first appear at this address in the 1961 city directory. He was a salesman for Handleman Company.
Mae Bell Hudson House2309 West Market Streetca. 1956Contributing Building
The one-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick, Minimal Traditional house presents a slightly projecting front-facing gable with an elongated gable surmounting the entry. The portion of the gable over the stoop is sheathed in weatherboard and supported by a single wood post. Brick steps lead to the brick stoop forward of the paneled wood door with a single flanking leaded-glass sidelight. Windows are sixNPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) over-six, including the small gable piercing the front-facing gable. An interior brick chimney rises from the front roof slope, just behind the front gable. On the west elevation, a flat roof wing consists of a screened porch on its front half. A louvered wood vent and a door pierce the west gable end allowing access to the flat roof on the wing. A large, shed-roofed dormer occupies the rear roof slope. Addison F.
Hudson, who was in the real estate business, bought the property in 1955. The property transferred to his wife in 1956 and she first appears at this address in the 1957 city directory. The house remained in the Hudson family until 1988.
Carport 2309 West Market Street ca. 1956 Contributing Structure A pyramidal-roofed brick carport stands in the rear yard. The rear portion of the carport is enclosed to serve as a storage shed.
Katrine S. and Rufus White House 2500 West Market Street ca. 1954 Contributing Building The two-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style house features a dentil cornice and brick quoins. Brick stairs with curving metal balustrades lead to a brick stoop forward of a pilastered entry with dentils and a front-gable pediment. A fanlight surmounts the paneled wood door. Windows on the main block are replacement six-over-six. Brick chimneys occupy the two-story gable ends. A two-story, side-gabled, east side wing sits lower than and farther back from the main block and has a dentil cornice and replacement six-over-six windows. A gabled ell with a shed-roofed east side addition extends from the rear. A small gabled addition with replacement windows is located on the rear of the side wing. The Whites bought the property in 1953 and first appear at this address in the 1955 city directory. He was vice-president of Pilot Life Insurance Company. The Whites owned the property until 1990.
The two-story, three-bay, side-gabled with returns, brick, Colonial Revival-style house with dentils at its cornice displays a two-story, front-gabled dentiled portico supported by wood Tuscan columns and pilasters. A second-floor balcony with wood balustrade and supported by curved brackets is forward of multi-light French doors. The main entrance features a paneled wood door topped with a semi-elliptical fanlight and flanked by multi-light sidelights with wood panels below. The porch floor is brick, as are the steps, which have a curved metal balustrade. The roof is slate shingles. Windows throughout are sixover-six with the first floor windows topped by a header-course relieving arch; those on the façade show an expanse of wood just above the windows, but below the brick arch. A brick chimney with flanking quarter-round louvered vents rises at the east gable end of the two-story block and through the roof ridge of the one-story, side-gabled brick wing with weatherboard gable ends pierced by an oculus louvered wood vent. A shed-roof, weatherboard bay window occupies a portion of the wing's west elevation. A one-story, side-gabled, brick wing is set further back from the façade than the east wing. It is obscured by vegetation. A hip-roofed brick ell extends from the rear elevation; south of it is another hip-roofed ell, but it appears to be a recent addition because of its synthetic siding. A flat metal hood shelters the rear door that is at basement level. The Morrahs bought the property in January 1929 and first appear at this address in the 1929 city directory. He was the manager of the Piggly Wiggly grocery store. They owned the house until June 1938.
Garage 2501 West Market Street ca. 1929 Contributing Building A side-gable brick garage displays two wood bay doors and a side-gabled wing containing a six-over-six window and a multi-light door. The garage contains living space.
Willene and Joseph Vincent House 2502 West Market Street ca. 1955 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick house features an off-center, front-facing gable with a metal, bellcast-roofed bay window with replacement lights. The entry is recessed and to the east of the projecting gable. A paneled pilaster marks to right (east) side of the entry alcove. Windows are six-over-six replacements. A brick chimney rises from the interior rear roof slope. A one-story, sidegabled brick wing is attached to the west elevation, but is stepped back from the façade. Three front dormers are sheathed in synthetic siding and contain replacement windows. Synthetic siding also sheathes the gable ends. The Vincents bought the property in 1953 and the 1955 city directory lists it as NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) “under construction.” They appear at this address in the 1956 city directory. He was a vice-president for Pilot Life Insurance Company.
Vacant 2503 West Market Street Eva B. and Roy C. Millikan House 2505 West Market Street ca. 1927 Contributing Building The two-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick, Colonial Revival-style house with dentils presents a onestory, front-gabled dentiled portico supported by columns. A half-round arch is centered on the front of the portico forward of the half-round, blind wood fanlight over the paneled wood door with multi-light sidelights topped by wood panels. The stoop forward of the door is brick. Slate shingles top the roof.
Windows are six-over-one and on the façade, topped with header-course segmental relieving arches.
Brick chimneys flanked by quarter-round windows with spoke muntins rise from the gable ends of the two-story brick block. A flat-roofed, open porch with slender columns occupies the east gable end, while the west gable end porch has been enclosed with wood and displays four-over-one windows, but retains its columns. A low coursed stone wall lines the front yard and continues around to border one side of the driveway. The Millikans were the earliest occupants and appear at this address in the 1928 city directory. He was president of Millikan Realty and Insurance Company, vice-president of Millikan Land Company, and owner of Millikan-Stafford Arcade.
Garage 2505 West Market Street ca. 1927 Contributing Building A one-story, side-gabled, brick garage with new garage doors stands in the rear yard.
Ava and Thomas O. Ayers House 2506 West Market Street ca. 1937 Contributing Building
The replacement, multi-light front door with sidelights with diamond-pattern muntins is recessed under a splayed, brick relieving arch. A three-sided bay window with a metal bellcast roof is to the right (east) and is graced with sawn scalloping on its frieze. A curved metal balustrade fronts the three-part window on the upper story of the front gable. All windows are replacements and include casements, eight-overeight, and four-over-four. A brick chimney occupies the east gable end, while a one-story, side-gabled, brick wing is on the west gable end. Brick chimneys are found on the east side of the main block’s rear elevation and on the gable end of the brick rear ell. An entry on the west side of the ell is topped with a metal bellcast hood. The Ayers bought the property in September 1926, but do not appear at this address until the 1938 city directory. He was president-treasurer of Dick’s Laundry. The Ayers family owned the house until 1981.