«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»
Hazel and Diffee H. Lambert House 203 Ridgeway Drive ca. 1939 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style house with a dentil course includes flanking north and south elevation blocks. A projecting, brick front gable with returns includes a classical entry with pilasters supporting a frieze with triglyphs topped by a molded cornice. The paneled wood door is recessed within a paneled reveal. Windows are six-over-six, including those in the pair of front-gabled, vinyl-sided dormers. The one-story, two-bay north wing is T-shaped with a front gabled block located at its terminus. A brick chimney straddles the roof ridge of the side-gabled wing, at the north gable end of the main block; another brick chimney rises from the wing, but just behind (west) of the front chimney. The one-story, two-bay, side-gabled south wing also includes a brick chimney straddling its roof ridge at the south gable end of the main block. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. According to the 1939 city directory, the first in which the house appears, Mr. Lambert was vice president and sales manager for Odell Hardware Company. The couple lived here with their child.
Garage 203 Ridgeway Drive ca. 1939 Contributing Building
Flora and George Burkhalter House 204 Ridgeway Drive ca. 1939 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-influenced dwelling includes a synthetic-sided, front-gabled portico supported by slender wood posts. It shelters a paneled wood door.
Windows are six-over-six, including those in the three front-gabled, synthetic-sided dormers resting on the front roof slope. A brick chimney rises from the main block’s north gable end, forward of the roof ridge. A one-story, side-gabled porch on the north end has been enclosed, sheathed with weatherboard, and fitted with large one-over-one windows that surmount paneled aprons. A large gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. According to the 1939 city directory, Mr. Burkhalter worked as an industrial lubricating engineer.
Garage 204 Ridgeway drive Noncontributing Building A two-story, one-bay, front-gabled, brick garage displays fish scale shingles in its front gable and eightlight windows. It replaces an earlier outbuilding that is depicted on the 1966 Sanborn map.
Margaret and Ferdinand R. Stout House 207 Ridgeway Drive Contributing Building Albert C. Woodroof, Architect The two-story, three-bay, hip-roofed, Flemish-bond brick Georgian Revival-style house was designed by architect Albert C. Woodroof, according to plans dated 1940 that remain in possession of the current owner, the grandson of the original owners. The well-maintained dwelling displays modillions beneath its cornice. A swan’s neck pediment with a center finial surmounting a plain frieze supported by fluted pilasters frames a recessed entry composed of a double-leaf door framed by sidelights and a transom. An octagonal light pierces the upper wall above the entry. Cast masonry keystones with flat brick voussoirs top the first floor eight over twelve windows; upper windows are crowned by rowlock brick lintels. A pair of downspouts with scupper boxes mounted just below the frieze flank the entry. Brick chimneys occupy the north and south ends of the dwelling. A one-story, hip-roofed, brick wing attaches to the north elevation. An attached brick garage topped with a pyramidal roof is located just behind or west of NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) the wing. A hip-roofed screened porch with square posts and brick corner posts is located on the south elevation. Mr. Stout owned Odell Hardware.
Irene and Guy A. Berry House 208 Ridgeway Drive ca. 1942 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional house features a dentil course and classical entry. The southernmost bay is stepped back slightly from the rest of the façade. A recessed paneled wood door with crowning transom is framed by a paneled reveal. Wood shutters flank the entry. Cast masonry keystones with radiating brick flat arches crown the eight-over-twelve windows on the façade. Four aluminum-sided, hip-roofed dormers with replacement eight-over-eight windows rest on the front roof slope. An interior brick chimney rises from just behind the roof ridge on the north end of the dwelling. Aluminum siding sheathes the gable ends. A one-story, one-bay, side-gabled, brick wing extends from the north elevation and is fitted with new casement style windows. An original onestory, one-bay, side-gabled, brick garage attaches to the dwelling’s south end. Mr. Berry worked at Berry-Webster Company, according to the 1942 city directory.
Alberta and Dr. Carey W. Durham House209 Ridgeway Driveca. 1941Contributing Building
The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style house displays three-part block massing with side blocks stepped back from the main façade. The classical entry pierces the north end of the main block’s façade and is characterized by fluted pilasters supported a molded cornice. It shelters a recessed entrance with a paneled wood and multi-light door. A synthetic-sided bay window topped with a metal bellcast roof features a twenty-five-light picture window flanked by four-over-six lights. Other windows are eight-over-eight and six-over-six. A pair of synthetic-sided, front-gabled dormers rests on the front slope of the main block’s roof. A brick chimney straddles the roof ridge of the main block. A one-story, side-gabled, synthetic-sided attachment on the north end topped with a cupola contains a garage, while a one-story, side-gabled, synthetic-sided wing on the south end is fronted by an open porch with spandrels supported by wood posts. A front-gabled dormer rests on its front roof slope.
Three front-gabled dormers occupy the rear elevation. The 1941 city directory lists Dr. Carey as a physician and surgeon with an office in the Grissom Building on S. Elm Street.
NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Irene and I. Fred Troxler House 210 Ridgeway Drive ca. 1940; ca. 2000 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional house with brick quoins has been greatly expanded recently, but with most of the additions occurring on the rear. A classical entry with fluted pilasters and a molded cornice framing a paneled wood door is centered on the main block.
Windows are primarily eight-over-eight. The vinyl-sided, front-gabled dormers contain replacement sixover-six windows. The main block’s gable ends are finished in vinyl siding. A brick chimney rises from the south gable end of the main block. A one-story porch on the south gable end has been enclosed and sheathed in vinyl siding. The one-and-a-half-story, side-gabled, brick wing on the north elevation is original, but has been expanded to the north. A brick front gable pierced with a round, louvered vent fronts this wing. A gabled ell containing a garage extends from the rear of this wing and surmounted by three gabled dormers. According to the 1940 city directory, Mr. Troxler worked as a clerk at Troxler Brothers Grocery.
Maude and Edward M. Sweetman Jr. House212 Ridgeway Driveca. 1939Contributing Building
The one-and-a-half-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional house is composed of two side-by-side blocks with the north section sitting slightly lower than the south section. A recessed porch supported by square posts fronts the north block. The porch is sheathed in hardboard siding and contains a paneled wood door. Windows are six-over-six replacements, however an original bay window pierces the façade of the southern block; it contains replacement six-over-six windows. Three front-gabled weatherboard dormers rest on the front roof slope, while an interior corbelled brick chimney straddles the roof ridge. A patio extends along the majority of the rear elevation. According to the 1939 city directory, Mr. Sweetman Jr. worked at Security National Bank. That year Mr. and Mrs. Sweetman shared the house with their child and his widowed mother.
The one-and-a-half-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-influenced house features an off-center front gable. The classical doorway composed of pilasters and a molded cornice framing a recessed entry with a paneled reveal shelters a paneled wood door. Windows are eight-over-eight replacements. A pair of front-gabled, synthetic-sided dormers contains six-over-six windows. Gable ends are sheathed in synthetic siding. A one-story, one-bay, side-gabled, weatherboard garage wing occupies the rear (east) of the north gable end. This wing appears on the 1966 Sanborn map, although the one-story, side-gabled, screened porch with wood and lattice posts on the south elevation does not. A brick chimney straddles the roof ridge near the south end of the house. The 1941 city directory lists the house as vacant.
Grace and Wilson Mitchell House215 Ridgeway Driveca. 1968Noncontributing Building
The two-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival style house displays several characteristics found in earlier houses of the some style in the district. Fluted posts support a front-gabled portico with a vaulted soffit. It shelters a fanlight that surmounts a paneled wood door with leaded-glass sidelights.
Windows are eight-over-eight and twelve-over-twelve. A brick chimney straddles the roof ridge, while an exterior brick chimney rises from the rear (west) side of the south elevation. A hip-roofed ell extends from the rear elevation. A one-and-a-half-story, side-gabled wing topped with a pair of front-gabled dormers extends from the south gable end. An inset porch is centered on its façade. A one-story, twobay, side-gabled, synthetic-sided garage is attached to the wing at an angle of approximately forty-five degrees. A brick chimney straddles its roof ridge. The Mitchells, who sold the house to the current owners in 1978, were the first owners.
Dora and James Lybrand Jr. House219 Ridgeway Driveca. 1939Contributing Building
The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-influenced house with brick quoins displays a front-gabled, brick portico with gable returns and brick posts framing a recessed, arched door. Windows are six-over-six. Three front-gabled wall dormers with returns grace the façade.
A brick chimney rises from the north gable end of the main block, forward of the roof ridge. A onestory, one-bay, side-gabled brick wing extends from the north gable end. An original, one-and-a-halfstory, gabled, brick ell extends from the rear elevation. According to the 1939 city directory, Mr.
NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Lybrand worked as a purchasing agent for Carter Fabrics. The couple shared the house with their son, James Lybrand III, who was a clerk.
Garage 219 Ridgeway Drive ca. 1990 Noncontributing Building A one-story, front-gabled, synthetic-sided garage stands in the rear yard. A garage bay and a door pierce the façade.
Mary and Phillip Segal House 222 Ridgeway Drive ca. 1942 Noncontributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, uncoursed rubble stone dwelling displays an off-center paneled wood and multi-light front door. A recessed porch with walls sheathed in synthetic siding and supported by square and chamfered posts supporting arched spandrels. An oversized aluminum-sided, shed-roofed modern, one-bay dormer rests on the front roof slope above the porch. Windows are eight-over-eight. A stone gable end chimney occupies the north elevation, while an interior stone chimney straddles the roof ridge. A modern aluminum-sided shed dormer occupies the rear roof slope. A one-story, side-gabled, enclosed porch is located on the rear (east) side of the south elevation. It is not visible from the right-ofway, but appears on the 1966 Sanborn map and aerial photographs on the county GIS website. The house first appears in the 1942 city directory.
Ruth and R. Burke Fraley House223 Ridgeway Driveca. 1941; ca. 1990Contributing Building
The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage displays an off-center, front-facing projecting gable and a north elevation, one-story, one-bay, side-gabled, brick wing resting on a basement garage. A shed roof porch supported by a wood post shelters the entry that is flanked by a façade brick chimney and the front gable pierced by a tall, narrow, three-light window. Soldier-course lintels top the eight-over-eight windows. A vinyl-sided, side-gabled addition has been made to the rear roof slope. A gable addition with a low-pitched roof is attached to the northwest (rear) corner; a gabled carport is attached to its rear (west) end. These additions post-date the 1966 Sanborn map, but are located on the NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) rear elevation thereby diminishing their impacts on the dwelling’s historic core. According to the 1941 city directory, Mrs. Fraley taught at Central Junior High School and Mr. Fraley worked as a contractor.
Alice and LeRoy Stadler House 300 Ridgeway Drive ca. 1941 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-influenced house is composed of two side-gabled blocks and displays a front-gabled portico supported by square posts and pilasters and sheathed with synthetic siding. It shelters a divided-light door framed by a pair of pilasters.
Windows are eight-over-eight. A pair of synthetic-sided front-gabled dormers with replacement windows rest on the front roof slope. A brick chimney occupies the north gable end. A small addition attaches to the north end of the rear elevation, but it is not visible from the right of way. A Palladianstyle window has been inserted in the south gable end. The 1941 city directory lists the Stadlers as owners and occupants of the house.
Garage 300 Ridgeway Drive ca. 2000 Noncontributing Building A one-story, two-bay, front-gabled, synthetic-sided garage stands in the rear yard facing south.