«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»
Pilasters and a molded cornice frame the paneled wood and divided-light door with sidelights. A pair of oversized, synthetic-sided, front-gabled dormers with fanlight windows has been added to the front roof slope. An interior corbelled brick chimney rises from just behind the roof ridge. A small, gabled extension—which was likely a garage originally—remains, but is obscured from view by a fence. A gabled ell on the south end of the rear elevation is original, but a gabled ell on the north end of the rear post-dates the 1966 Sanborn map. A pair of brick entrance walls marks the entrance and exit to the circular driveway. According to the 1942 city directory, Arth Guertin worked as a salesman.
Rolling Road Irene and Robert Sapp Jr. House 1707 Rolling Road ca. 1938 Noncontributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage features two front-facing gables. The easternmost gable is finished on its upper half in synthetic shingles. This gable appears to be new. A new shed-roofed porch supported by square posts shelters the original Tudor-style wood batten door. A brick façade chimney is just to the left, or east, of the entry. Windows are six-over-six replacements. A side-gabled, one-bay, brick garage has been added to the west elevation. The house has experienced a significant loss of integrity making it noncontributing. The Sapps lived in the house in 1938 and are the NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) earliest known occupants. Irene Sapp was secretary and assistant treasurer of Thomas Gresham Redden Inc. and Robert Sapp was an electrical contractor. Georgia and Roy Olson lived here in 1939 and 1940.
House 1709 Rolling Road Noncontributing Building The two-story, three-bay, side-gabled, vinyl-clad neo-Colonial house features a front-gabled portico with fluted columns. Windows are six-over-six. A one-story, one-bay, side-gabled wing extends from the west elevation.
Mildred and Kenneth Kennedy House 1711 Rolling Road ca. 1927 Contributing Building The two-story, three-bay, hip-roofed, blond-brick Colonial Revival-influenced house with dentils exhibits a flat-roofed portico supported by fluted posts, topped by a metal balustrade, and graced by a dentil cornice. Windows are six-over-one and topped with soldier-course lintels. An eyebrow vent rests on the front roof slope. A brick chimney rises from the east elevation of the main block. A one-story, flat-roofed, enclosed porch topped by a balcony occupies the east elevation. In its early history, its owner or owners never occupied this house. The earliest occupants were Mildred L. and Kenneth K.
Kennedy, who lived here in 1928 and 1929, according to the city directory for those years. He was president of Greensboro Creamery. They were followed by a succession of residents.
Emily and Dr. Roy Smith House1713 Rolling Roadca. 1940Contributing Building
The two-story, three-bay, pyramidal-roofed, vinyl-sided, Colonial Revival-style house includes a onestory, flat-roofed porch supported by bold Doric columns. The porch shelters a classical entry with fluted pilasters. Windows are eight-over-eight and six-over-six. A brick chimney occupies the north end of the west elevation. A small, flat-roofed, vinyl-clad portico shelters a paneled wood and multi-light door on the west elevation, just south of the chimney. A post-1966, two-story, hip-roofed ell extends NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) from the rear. The Smiths likely built the house and owned it until 1948. Dr. Smith had his offices at 100 North Elm Street. The house appears to contain at least two rental apartments.
Garage 1713 Rolling Road ca. 1940; ca. 1980 Noncontributing Building A one-story, side-gabled, vinyl-clad garage stands in the rear yard. A gabled ell extends from the rear and features a recessed porch on its north elevation that is supported by square posts. Windows are sixover-six. The garage was originally a square building, but has been expanded.
Nina and Mack Kernodle House1800 Rolling Roadca. 1950Contributing Building
The one-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Ranch house displays a recessed, weatherboard-sheathed entrance containing a replacement paneled door with a leaded, opaque window. All of the six-over-six and four-over-four windows have been replaced. An interior brick chimney rises from the rear roof slope east of the entrance. Wallace Freeman, who was in the real estate business owned the property from 1946 to 1950 and likely built this house as an investment. Freeman never lived here, but the first occupant was Walter Lutterloh, who is listed at this address in the 1951-1952 city directory. He worked for Burlington Mills. Longtime owners were Nina and Mack Kernodle who owned the house from 1955 to 2004. They owned Mack’s Lunch.
House1801 Rolling Road Noncontributing Building
The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick, neo-Colonial-Revival style house features a vinyl-sided, front-gable portico with synthetic columns and a half-round vent in the tympanum. It shelters a paneled wood door with a fanlight and flanking sidelights. A bay window pierces the façade on each side of the entrance. Windows are six-over-six. A brick ell extends from the rear elevation.
ca. 1935 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, four-bay, steeply-pitched, side-gabled, uncoursed rubble stone Period Cottage displays an off-center, front gable with an arched entry bay tabbed in stone and containing a wood and multi-light door topped by a blind fanlight. On the upper façade of this front-facing gable is an arched opening containing a one-over-one window. A larger arched bay at the center of the gable frames a paneled wood and multi-light door topped by a blind wood fanlight. Small four-over-four windows flank the entry. Windows throughout are six-over-six, including the three in the shed-roof, half-timbered stucco dormer. An interior stone chimney rises from the front roof slope, just east of the dormer.
Incorporated under the side gable is a two-story, east elevation wing that is stepped back from the façade. The upper story is sheathed in stucco that is half-timbered and features a wall dormer on its façade. The lower level appears to have originally been an open porch that was later fitted with windows that are now covered with boards. A side-gabled garage in the rear yard is not visible from the right of way. Hudson was a clerk. Hattie Dickey bought the property in 1935 and likely built the house soon thereafter. Nina Dickey Tyner, possibly Hattie Dickey’s daughter, acquired the house in 1940 and owned it until 1989.
Alda and C. C. Wimbush House1803 Rolling Roadca. 1926Contributing Building
The two-story, three-bay, hip-roofed, vinyl-sided, Foursquare displays a one-story, full-width, hiproofed porch supported by paired square posts that shelters a multi-light front door. Windows are replacement six-over-one. A half-circle, louvered wood vent rests on the front roof slope. A corbelled brick chimney rises from the rear roof slope. A hip-roofed porch supported by wood posts like those on the front porch is located on the rear (south) end of the east elevation. A front-gabled garage is located in the rear yard. It is not visible from the right-of-way. The Wimbishes first appear at this address in the 1927 city directory. C.C. Wimbish was president-manager of Home Detective Company.
Henry Bagley House 1804 Rolling Road ca. 1936 Contributing Building
including those in the three, front-gabled, hardboard-sided dormers on the front roof slope. A brick chimney rises from the east elevation, just forward of the roof ridge. A one-story, two-bay, side-gabled wing with a hardboard-sheathed gable end is attached to the east elevation. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. Bagley bought the property in May 1936 and likely built the house soon thereafter.
He first appears at this address in the 1937 city directory. He worked for Jefferson Standard Life Insurance Company.
Garage 1804 Rolling Road ca. 1936 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, hip-roofed, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.
Beatrice and William Lupo House 1805 Rolling Road ca. 1937 Noncontributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick house displays an enclosed, partial-width enclosed front porch sheathed in vinyl siding. Vinyl siding sheathes the top third of the house’s main block. The front door has been relocated to the former porch façade and is composed of a paneled wood door topped by a fanlight. Casement windows pierce the wall just to the right (west) of the door.
Windows on the remainder of the dwelling are six-over-six, including those in the two, front-gabled, vinyl-sided dormers on the front roof slope. A side-gabled, brick projection occupies a portion of the east elevation. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. The Lupos were the first owners and occupants and are listed at this address in the 1938 city directory. He was a manager at Sears Roebuck.
Garage 1805 Rolling Road ca. 1937 Contributing Building A front-gabled, one-bay, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.
Contributing Building The two-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style house with a center pediment with returns and pilasters. The multi-light door is framed by multi-light sidelights and a blind fanlight.
Windows, some of which are paired, are six-over-one with the lower windows topped by soldier-course lintels and the upper windows resting on a continuous header-course sill. A brick chimney rises from the east gable end of the two-story block; another is located on the rear of the main block. An arched-head window pierces the upper west gable end. A hip-roofed porch, minus the screening, is attached to the east gable end. Tuscan columns and a solid wood balustrade support the porch. A synthetic-sided bay window is located on the rear of the west elevation. The Coxes bought the property in July 1927; they are first listed at this address in the 1928 city directory. Cox was president of Cox-Trimble Inc. Helen Gaskins owned the house from 1941 to 1984.
Garage 1806 Rolling Road ca. 1927 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, side-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.
Mary O. and Mary F. Gerringer House 1807 Rolling Road ca. 1952 Contributing Building The one-story, four-bay, cross-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional house displays an off-center, frontfacing gable with returns. A modern wood porch with an open trusswork front gable and wood supports with carved brackets shelters the multi-light and paneled wood front door located on the east end of the front-facing gable. Windows are six-over-six, except for a six-light fixed window in the upper front gable. A three-part picture window pierces the façade of the side-gabled block. A wide, interior brick chimney rises from the east end of the main block. An east end porch that is located beneath the principal side gable has been enclosed, sheathed in wood or synthetic shingles, and fitted with modern casement windows. Mary O. Gerringer, widow of Linley W. Gerringer Jr., and Mary F. Gerringer, a production coordinator at Burlington Mills, bought this property in 1951 and likely built this house soon thereafter; both women appear at this address in the 1953 city directory. In 1954, Mary F. Gerringer sold the house to Mary O Gerringer, who owned it until 1976.
1807 Rolling Road ca. 1952 Contributing Building A one-story, side-gabled, wood shingled building with a multi-light front door stands in the rear yard. It displays a full-façade porch beneath a recessed porch.
Grady and Herman Thacker House 1808 Rolling Road ca. 1932 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage displays a center, front-gable projection. A classical entrance composed of a broken pediment with a central finial and dentils tops fluted pilasters framing a paneled wood door crowned with a multi-light transom. Windows are replacement six-over-six with façade windows topped by a segmental arch. A pair of aluminum-sided dormers rest on the front roof slope. A brick chimney rises from the rear roof slope. A shed-roofed east elevation sun room has been sheathed in synthetic siding and fitted with modern casement windows. The Thackers bought the property in March 1927, but they do not appear at this address until the 1933 city directory. Thacker worked as a bookkeeper for J. W. Scott and Company. The Thacker family owned the house until 1983.
Helen and Marvin H. Brimmer House1810 Rolling Roadca. 1925Contributing Building
The two-story, two-bay, gambrel-roofed, weatherboard Dutch Colonial Revival-style house displays a front-gabled portico supported by square posts and pilasters that frame the multi-light door. Windows are replacement six-over-six. A brick chimney rises from the east end of the two-story main block, while a half-circle, louvered wood vent pierces the west end. A one-story, shed-roofed porch with wood corner supports has been enclosed and fitted with large windows or sliding glass doors. The Brimmers bought the property in December 1925 and appear at this address in the 1926 city directory. Brimmer was a salesman. They owned the house until 1944.
Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick, Colonial Revival-style house features an offcenter, front-gabled portico supported by fluted posts. The portico shelters a paneled wood and multilight door. Windows are six-over-six, including those in the three, front-gabled, synthetic-sided dormers on the front roof slope. An exterior brick chimney rises from the west elevation, forward of the roof ridge. A side-gabled, one-bay-wide, brick projection occupies a portion of the east elevation. A hiproofed ell attaches to the east corner of the rear elevation and the rear of the side-gabled projection. It is sheathed in synthetic siding. Its southeast corner connects to the northwest corner of a hip-roofed, onebay, weatherboard garage with paneled wood swing-out doors. Lee Penry appears at this address in the 1938 city directory, the first year it is listed. He never owned the house suggesting it was built as a rental property, possibly by Arthur Rood, owner of Rood’s Grill, who bought the property in 1936 and sold it in 1941.