«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»
The one-story, three-bay, cross-gabled, brick Tudor Revival-style dwelling displays a front and side gable sheathed in stucco graced with half-timbering. A one-story, front-gabled brick bay containing a batten door projects from the larger, front-facing gable. A tall, narrow louvered wood vent pierces the smaller gable. Windows are six-over-six, including the sash in the hip-roofed, weatherboard-sided dormer. Soldier-course lintels and header-course sills frame the windows. A corbeled brick chimney rises from the east gable end where the main block meets the one-story, side-gabled enclosed porch that is sheathed in aluminum. It is fitted with a door and six-over-six window on its façade. A small, shedroofed, aluminum-sided addition is located on the north end of the west elevation. A. K. Moore Realty sold the Bartrams the parcel in October 1928 and they likely built the house soon thereafter. He owned John L. Bartram Company, which sold textile equipment. The Bartrams sold the house in 1938.
Noncontributing Building A two-story, side-gabled garage with aluminum siding and six-over-six windows stands in the rear yard.
Rachel and Rigdon Harris House 2508 Berkley Place ca. 1950 Contributing Building The one-story, five-bay, side-gabled, glazed-brick Minimal Traditional house displays an off-center, front facing gable pierced with a round, louvered, wood vent outlined in header-course brick. A metal, bellcast hood supported by wood posts and pilasters shelters the paneled wood door. Windows are nineover-one with the top sash consisting of a large light in the middle framed by narrow lights on the sides and small square lights at the corners. An interior corbelled brick chimney rests on the front roof ridge, just forward of the ridge. A side-gabled porch supported by square wood posts with lattice on its west end is recessed under the principal roof on the west elevation. Its gable end is finished in synthetic siding. A shed or flat-roofed ell extends from the rear. The house first appears in the 1950 city directory with the Harrises as occupants. Mr. Harris was a salesman at Citizens Coal.
Gladys and George Clark House2509 Berkley Placeca. 1930Contributing Building
The one-and-a-half-story, four-bay, cross-gabled with returns, brick Tudor Revival-style house displays a projecting front-facing gable with pent returns; an arched-head window with spoke muntins at its crown pierces the half-timbered and stucco upper gable. A hip-roofed hood with a molded cornice and curved brackets shelters an arched entrance outlined in ashlar that frames a Tudor-style, vertical-wood door. Stone graces a portion of the façade chimney and the adjacent wall and is randomly scattered on other parts of the brick stack. Windows are six-over-one with soldier-course lintels and header-course sills; a two-light, Tudor-style windows with diamond-pattern muntins pierces the façade just to the west of the chimney. It appears that there is a rear ell and that a portion on the west elevation has been sheathed in hardboard siding. The Clarks bought the lot in July 1930 and likely built the house soon thereafter; they appear at this address in the 1931 city directory. He worked for Cone Export and Commission Company, which was a cotton goods dealer. Jane and Thomas Boone Jr. owned the house from 1954 to 2006. He owned Boone Tailors.
NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Garage 2509 Berkley Place ca. 1970 Noncontributing Building A one-story, front-gabled, two-bay garage in the rear yard is sheathed with hardboard siding.
Rev. Augustus DeGafferelly House 2511 Berkley Place ca. 1928 Noncontributing Building The one-story, cross-gabled with returns, brick Period Cottage features a single-shoulder façade chimney with flanking upper arched-head louvered vents on the front-facing gable with returns. A rectangular panel is recessed at the center of the lower portion of the chimney. The porch has been enclosed, sheathed with weatherboard, and fitted with large plate glass windows thereby obscuring the entry. A half-circle louvered wood vent rests on the front roof slope and an interior chimney rises from the rear roof slope. A hip-roofed, weatherboard-sided entry is located on the south (rear) portion of the east elevation. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. DeGafferelly bought the parcel from A. K.
Moore Realty in 1928 and built the house soon thereafter. He was the pastor of Elm Street Christian Church. He sold the house back to A. K. Moore Realty in 1931, who then sold it to Alberta and Dr.
Carey Durham, a physician. They had boarders, including Lula Cagle, Dr. Durham’s nurse. They sold the house in 1945.
House2512 Berkley Placeca. 1948Contributing Building
The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Cape Cod house includes a front-gabled portico with square posts and pilasters and synthetic siding in the tympanum. The portico shelters a paneled wood and multi-light front door. Windows are one-over-one replacements with soldier-course brick lintels. A pair of dormers with synthetic siding occupies the front roof slope. An interior brick chimney protrudes through the roof forward of the ridge and just behind the east dormer. A one-story, side-gabled brick wing, with a roof lower than the principal gable, is located on the east elevation. The wing’s front half has been enclosed, sheathed in synthetic siding, and fitted with large windows. The Greensboro Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends, a local Quaker congregation, purchased the lot in NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) 1948 and built this house soon thereafter. In 1949 and 1950, Rev. Herschel Folger lived here. The Friends owned it until 1975. The current owners, Emily and Harvey Herman, have owned it since 1977.
Garage 2512 Berkley Place ca. 1948 Contributing Building A one-story, front-gabled, concrete-block garage stands in the rear yard.
Katie and Paul Snead House 2513 Berkley Place ca. 1932 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay side-gabled, brick house has a projecting, front-facing gable surmounting a screened porch. Square posts support the weatherboard gable that displays returns and an arched-head, louvered wood vent. A multi-light door is sheltered by the porch and is flanked with paired six-over-one windows. A triangular, louvered wood vent rests on the front roof slope and a brick chimney rises from the west gable end forward of the roof ridge. A small, shed-roofed entry is located on the rear (south) end of the east elevation. The Sneads bought the parcel in 1932 and likely built the house soon thereafter; they appear at this address in the 1933 city directory. He was supervisor of signals for Southern Railway. They sold the house in 1939.
Garage 2513 Berkley Place ca. 1932 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard. It has a replacement garage door.
The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage displays an off-center, front-facing gable with weatherboard sheathing and an arched-head window in the top half. It is likely this gable was originally stuccoed and half-timbered like the side gable ends. A smaller front gable with an arched opening contains the paneled wood door with a top light. Windows are six-over-one and topped with continuous soldier-course lintels. An interior brick chimney rises from the rear roof slope on behind the front gable, while another is located on the gable end of the main block, just forward of the roof ridge.
A shed-roofed projection is located on the north end of the west elevation. A side-gabled screened porch is recessed under the east end of the main roof. A gabled ell extends from the rear. The Sowells bought the parcel in August 1928 and likely built the house soon thereafter; they first appear at this address in the 1929 city directory. He was the assistant supervisor for Southeastern Express Company. They sold the house in 1946.
Garage 2514 Berkley Place ca. 1928 Contributing Building A front-gabled, one-bay, brick garage stands in the rear yard. It is fronted with wood batten doors with Z bracing.
Pauline and Morris Leon Ellis House 2515 Berkley Place ca. 1930 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage displays an off-center, frontfacing gable with paired windows set under a brickrelieving arch. A half-circle, dog-eared hood topped with a finial and supported by curved brackets shelters a half-circle, blind fanlight that surmounts a paneled wood door. The brick and concrete stoop and steps lack a balustrade or railing. Windows are nine-over-nine, except in the synthetic-sided, front-gabled dormer that holds a replacement one-over-one sash. The side-gabled roof extends to the east to cover an enclosed sunporch sheathed in synthetic siding and fronted by sliding glazed doors. A brick chimney rises at the east gable end of the main block, where it intersects with the former porch. Another chimney rises from the rear roof slope near the center of the house. A small, synthetic-sided entry porch is located on the south (rear) end of the west elevation. The Ellises bought the parcel from A. K. Moore Realty in August 1929. They likely built the house soon thereafter. The house appears in the 1929 city directory as vacant but with the Ellises as occupants and owners in the 1930 city directory. Mr. Ellis was vice-president of R. G. Lasiter and Company. Longtime owners were Ruth and Ross Dixon who owned the house from 1956 to 1992.
NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Garage 2515 Berkley Place ca. 1930 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.
Louise and Fredrick Scott Jr. House 2516 Berkley Place ca. 1941 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional dwelling features a center, front-facing, synthetic-sided gable with a bellcast-roof bay window containing an eight-over-eight window flanked by four-over-four windows. A shed-roofed porch supported by a simple wood post shelters a paneled wood door that faces west. Windows throughout are six-over-six and eight-over-eight with single row, recessed sawtooth brick bands above. A brick chimney is slightly forward of the roof ridge at the dwelling’s center. A one-story, hardboard-sided wing is stepped back from the east end of the façade.
The Scotts bought the parcel in 1941 and likely built the house soon thereafter; they first appear at this address in the 1941 city directory. He worked as a salesman for McCray Refrigerator Company.
Elizabeth and Ben B. Stockard Jr. House2517 Berkley Placeca. 1955Contributing Building
The one-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional house features a brick stoop with metal balustrades and decorative metal posts supporting a metal awning. Plain pilasters frame the paneled wood door. Windows are eight-over-eight and a brick chimney straddles the roof ridge. A metal awning like the one on the front shelters a secondary entrance on the north end of the west elevation. A gabled ell extends from the rear. The Stockards bought the parcel in 1954 and the house first appears in the 1955 city directory. He worked as an engineer for Newman Machinery.
A one-story, one-bay, front-gable, brick and German-sided garage stands in the back yard.
Mary C. and Jay Boone House 2518 Berkley Place ca. 1940 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Cape Cod dwelling displays a stylized classical entrance with fluted pilasters framing a paneled wood door topped with a three-light transom. Windows are eight-over-eight, except in the pair of front-gabled, weatherboard-sided dormers resting on the façade roof slope, which contain six-over-six windows. Beaded hardboard siding sheathes the gable ends and a corbeled brick chimney straddles the center of the roof ridge. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. It appears Richardson Realty, which bought the parcel in 1939, built the house as a rental property. In 1943, Mary C. Boone purchased the house and the city directory for that year lists Mary and Jay Boone as living at this address. He was a traveling salesman. The Boones sold the property in 1960.
Wilma Banks House2520 Berkley Placeca. 1961Contributing Building
The one-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick Ranch house features a brick stoop forward of a paneled wood door. Windows are eight-over eight and end gables are sheathed in synthetic siding. A metal awning supported by decorative metal posts shades a portion of the east elevation. A separate metal awning shades the paneled wood and multi-light door on the north side of the east elevation. Wilma Banks purchased the property in 1961, but this address does not appear in the city directory until 1963. It is likely she had the house built. She worked as a clerk at Elam Drug. She owned the house until 1994.
Camden Road Clyde Kearns House 2403 Camden Road ca. 1939 Contributing Building
along the façade of the west block; square posts support the porch that shelters a paneled wood and multi-light door and the lower half of the wide, brick façade chimney. Windows are eight-over-eight and replacement nine-over-nine. A gabled ell extends from the rear. Music teacher Miss Clyde Kearns purchased this parcel in July 1939 and likely built the house soon thereafter. She appears at this address in the 1940 city directory.
Lillian and George Wagoner House2405 Camden Road Contributing Building
The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, front-gabled, brick bungalow displays a Tudor influence in its two half-timbered stucco front gables. The smaller gable has returns and sits atop a full-width flat-roofed porch with battered brick posts atop low brick plinths. The porch shelters a multi-light door. The larger gable fronts the main block and is pierced by a four-over-four window. Windows are six-over-six. A side-gabled entry porch near the rear of the west elevation is sheathed in aluminum siding and it fitted with one-over-one windows. A gabled ell extends from the rear. The Wagoners bought the parcel in June 1927, but they did not build the house until 1935. The house first appears in the city directory in
1936. He was an electrician and she was a school teacher. They owned the house until 1951.