WWW.THESIS.DISLIB.INFO
FREE ELECTRONIC LIBRARY - Online materials, documents
 
<< HOME
CONTACTS



Pages:     | 1 |   ...   | 38 | 39 || 41 | 42 |   ...   | 54 |

«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»

-- [ Page 40 ] --

Garage 1811 Rolling Road ca. 1937 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, hip-roofed, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.

Mary and Hugh Preddy House 1812 Rolling Road ca. 1925 Contributing Building The two-story, three-bay, hip-roofed, stucco house displays a low pitched roof and wide, overhanging eaves. Heavy scrolled brackets that rest on paneled pilasters framing the multi-light door support the bellcast-roof hood with a molded cornice. An eyebrow louvered wood vent rests on the front roof slope.

Windows are six-over-one and a stucco chimney rises from the east elevation of the main block. A onestory, two-bay, hip-roofed, stucco wing occupies the east elevation. A multi-light door pierces its façade.

A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. The Preddys bought the property from A. K. Moore Realty in March 1925; they are first listed at this address in the 1927 city directory. In February 1928, the Preddys sold the house back to A. K. Moore Realty, who, in turn, sold it to Mary and Henry Miller in October 1928. They owned the house until 1944. He worked for Carolina Steel and Iron.

NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Helen and Ernest B. Hunter House 1813 Rolling Road ca. 1925 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side, clipped-gable, brick Craftsman-style house displays triangular, carved brackets on its wide overhanging eaves. An off-center, front-gabled portico with half-timbering in its tympanum; curved, overhanging eaves; and paired wood supports shelters a paneled wood door. A small window with a diamond-pattern muntin pattern pierces the wall to the west of the entry. Windows throughout are six-over-one. A brick chimney rises from the east end of the two-story block. A onestory, shed-roofed, weatherboard sunroom wing occupies a portion of the east elevation. Half-timbering like that found in the portico graces the frieze and wood pilasters frame the paired, six-over-six windows and mark the corners. The Hunters owned the property and are first listed at this address in the 1927 city directory. Hunter was city editor for the Greensboro Daily News.

House1814 Rolling Roadca. 1990Noncontributing Building

The two-story, three-bay, front-gabled, synthetic-sided, neo-Charleston single house features a two-tier, partial-elevation piazza on its west side. On both levels, wood columns and a wood balustrade grace the piazza. Typical of the Charleston single houses, a single-lead door topped by a transom leads to the lower level of the piazza. The dwelling’s principal entry is on the west elevation at the north end of the piazza and is a paneled wood door. Windows throughout are nine-over-nine. A large chimney occupies the north end of the west elevation. According to the owner, a builder constructed the house after the adjacent land owner sold the narrow parcel.

Malissa and C. Whitner Bauserman House1815 Rolling Roadca. 1925Contributing Building

The two-story, four-bay, side-gabled with returns, aluminum-sided, Colonial Revival-style house features a front-gabled portico with returns and a curved soffit. It is supported by wood columns and pilasters and shelters a paneled wood door. Windows are replacement one-over-one and six-over-one. A one-bay-wide, hip-roofed wing occupies the east elevation. An interior brick chimney rises from the rear roof slope. The Bauserman bought the property in April 1925. They first appear at this address in the NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) 1928 city directory. He was a salesman for Joseph J. Stone and Company. Also at this address that year were Sallye and Gladney Clark, who worked for Cone Export and Commission Company. The house remains in the Bauserman family.

Madge and Elba Spencer House 1817 Rolling Road ca. 1940 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, front-gabled and hip-roofed, brick Period Cottage displays a wide façade chimney with granite distributed randomly. A single six-over-six window pierces a wide, synthetic-sided front gable. The Tudor-style batten wood door is located beneath a brick arch in the extended wing wall on the west end of the hip-roofed block. Windows throughout are replacement six-over-six and fourover-four. A pair of front-gabled dormers rests on the side roof slope. The Spencers, who first appear at this address in the 1941 city directory, are the earliest known owners and occupants. He was a mail carrier.

Hazel and Jesse Allred House1819 Rolling Roadca. 1927Contributing Building

The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side, clipped-gable-roofed, brick Craftsman dwelling displays curved brackets and exposed rafter tails. An ocular window pierces the upper, front-facing clipped gable on the façade. Wide brick posts and a turned wood balustrade support a partial-width porch with arched openings. Fluted pilasters and a dentil cornice frame the multi-light front door sheltered by the porch.

Windows are primarily casement types. An eyebrow dormer rests on the front roof slope. An interior brick chimney rises from the rear roof slope, while another brick chimney occupies the east elevation of the rear. Allred was manager of Ansell’s, a clothing store. The house first appears in the 1928 city directory.

Garage 1819 Rolling Road ca. 1927 Contributing Building

–  –  –

Rosa and Ernest B. Huffine House 1821 Rolling Road ca. 1926 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage displays two front gables of different heights and exposed rafter tails on the facade. The larger, western gable crowns the multi-light and paneled wood door and three, grouped, six-over-one windows, both of which are sheltered by a hip-roofed porch supported by decorative, scrolled metal posts. A three-part picture window composed of a twelve-overone window flanked by six-over-one windows pierces the east side of the façade and sits below the smaller gable. Windows throughout are six-over-one and crowned by soldier-course lintels. An exterior, brick chimney rises from the east elevation, forward of the roof ridge. A gabled brick ell extends from the rear. The Huffines bought the property in March 1926 and first appear at this address in the 1927 city directory. He was a salesman for Morris and company. They sold the house in 1935. The Bingham family has owned it since 1955.





Garage 1821 Rolling Road ca. 1980 Noncontributing Building A two-story, two-bay, gambrel-roofed synthetic-sided garage stands in the rear yard.

Marjorie and David L. Shreve House 1823 Rolling Road ca. 1927 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, low-hip-roofed, brick Craftsman-influenced house features a wide plain frieze and low overhanging eaves. A low-hip-roofed front wing shelters a sun room and open entry porch and is supported by square, brick posts. The porch is one-bay wide and tops the multi-light front door and a multi-light door leading to the sunroom. Windows in the sunroom are replacement six-over-six, while the remaining six-over-one windows throughout the house are original. A front-gabled dormer on the façade and a wide, front-gabled dormer on the east elevation, both sided with synthetic sheathing, are later additions. A brick chimney rises from the interior. The Shreves bought the property in January 1927 and first appear in the city directory for 1927. He was a salesman. They sold the house in 1941.

The Keonig family has owned it since 1968.

NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Garage 1823 Rolling Road ca. 1950 Contributing Building A one-story, two-bay, synthetic-sided garage stands in the rear yard.

Anna Patterson House 1825 Rolling Road ca. 1929, ca. 1990 Noncontributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick house features an incompatible, flat-roofed, brick, front addition with vinyl eaves. It occupies most of the façade of the original house and displays one-over-one windows and a paneled wood door. The original houses include replacement one-over-one and six-oversix windows. An exterior brick chimney rises from the east gable end, forward of the roof ridge. A gabled, brick ell extends from the rear. Anna Patterson, the widow of county constable Hugh Patterson, bought the property January 1929. According to the 1930 city directory, she lived here with her daughters, Margaret, a nurse, and Ruth, a stenographer for Vick Chemical. In 1936, the Pattersons sold the house to Bertha and Israel Rubenstein, who was vice-president and secretary-treasurer of Saslow’s, a jeweler. The Rubensteins owned the house until 1961.

Carport 1825 Rolling Road ca. 1990 Noncontributing Structure A front-gabled, open carport with an incorporated storage room along the rear stands southwest of the house.

Avis and Wade Edwards House 1901 Rolling Road ca. 1959, 2004 Noncontributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, five-bay, side-clipped-gable, brick house is composed of two, side-by-side blocks and displays a front-facing gabled portico with an oculus window set in a stucco tympanum and a pent metal roof. Tuscan columns support the front gable that shelters a recessed paneled wood door with NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) sidelights. Three, front-gabled, six-over-six dormers rest on the front roof slope. The house was greatly remodeled in 2004 when a second story was added, a rear porch was incorporated into the house and the windows were replaced. A stucco-sheathed, clipped-gable ell is attached to the rear elevation. A gabled carport attached to the rear elevation is supported by brick posts and includes a bricks storage room at its rear. Its gable end is sheathed in synthetic siding. The Edwards bought the parcel in 1957 and likely built the house soon thereafter; they first appear at this address in the 1960 city directory. They owned Wade’s Dry Cleaning. The house remained in the family until 1996.

Myrtle and Henry Cranford House1903 Rolling Roadca. 1925Contributing Building

The two-story, three-bay, side-gabled, weatherboard Colonial Revival-style dwelling features a centered, one-story, front-gabled portico with returns. Paired square posts support the portico that shelters the paneled wood door. Windows throughout are six-over one. A brick chimney rises from the east elevation of the main block, just forward of the roof ridge. A one-story, one-bay-wide, hip-roofed, weatherboard wing occupies the east elevation. The Cranfords bought the property in April 1925 and first appear at this address in the 1926 city directory. He was a bookkeeper for J. W. Scott and Company. In September 1926, the Cranfords sold the house to Hazel and Thomas Boydston, who worked as a traveling salesman. They sold the house in 1935.

Edna L. and William D. Johnson House1905 Rolling Roadca. 1938Contributing Building

The two-story, three-bay, side-gabled, multi-hued brick Colonial Revival-style house displays a standing-seam metal, bellcast-roofed portico with wood posts spanned by diamond-pattern lattice. It shelters a paneled wood door with multi-light and paneled wood sidelights. The western third of the roof is lower than the eastern two-thirds and is fronted by a wall dormer containing a six-over-six window.

Windows throughout are replacements and are eight-over-eight and six-over-six. Brick chimneys occupy each gable end. A shed-roofed screened porch with wood in its gables is located on the east elevation.

The Johnsons bought the property in November 1937 and first appear at this address in the 1939 city directory. He was a salesman. The Johnson family owned the house until 1977.

–  –  –

ca. 1938 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.

Edith and Robert Pearce House 1907 Rolling Road ca. 1935 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Cape Cod house displays a classical entrance composed of pilasters and a flat cornice framing a single-leaf door topped with a multi-light transom.

Windows are six-over-six, including those in the three, front-gabled, aluminum-sided dormers. A brick chimney occupies the east gable end. A one-story, side-gabled, enclosed sun porch is fronted with a wide arched opening that has been filled with a multi-light picture window. An aluminum-sided shed dormer tops the brick ell on the rear elevation. The Pearces bought the property in May 1935 and first appear in the city directory in 1937. He was an optometrist. They sold the house in 1949.

Garage 1907 Rolling Road ca. 1935 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.

Clara and Justin V. Hopkins House 2003 Rolling Road ca. 1940 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, multi-hued brick Minimal Traditional house features an offcenter, front-facing gable pierced by an upper, louvered wood vent. Tuscan columns and pilasters support the shed-roofed, hardboard-sided porch with dentils that shelters the hardboard-sided portion of the façade. A multi-light door piercing the east side of the front gable contains a fanlight. Windows throughout are six-over-six. A brick chimney rises from the west elevation. A brick ell extends from the rear. The Hopkins are the earliest known owners and occupants. They appear at this address in the 1941 city directory. He was a postal clerk.

NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Garage 2003 Rolling Road ca. 1940 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, German-sided garage stands in the rear yard.

William R. Williams House 2005 Rolling Road ca. 1929 Noncontributing Building The one-story, side-gabled, wire-cut-brick Period Cottage features an off-center, front-facing gable with an upper, louvered wood vent and gable returns. A flat-roofed, enclosed porch projects from the façade and is fitted with one-over-one windows. The multi-light front door is located on the west side of the enclosed porch. Windows throughout are six-over-one and framed by soldier-course lintels and headercourse sills. A brick chimney occupies the west gable end. A brick ell extends from the rear. William R.

Williams is the earliest known occupant and appears at this address in the 1939 city directory. He was a foreman.

Rosa and Alvis Craver House2007 Rolling Roadca. 1929Contributing Building



Pages:     | 1 |   ...   | 38 | 39 || 41 | 42 |   ...   | 54 |


Similar works:

«THE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE EUROPEAN UNION’S HISTORY, CULTURE AND CITIZENSHIP 8th edition Pitesti, 8 th 9 th May 2015 C.H. Beck Publishing House Bucharest, 2015 Proceedings of the International Conference EUROPEAN UNION’S HYSTORY, CULTURE AND CITIZENSHIP 8th edition Resource continues with editions on two different media: Online: ISSN 2360395X CD-ROM: ISSN 2360 – 1841 ISSN-L 2360 – 1841 The Name of Issuing Institution University of Piteşti E-mail: iccu2008@yahoo.com Web site:...»

«PIKES PEAK COMMUNITY COLLEGE DIVISION OF COMMUNICATIONS, HUMANITIES AND TECHNICAL STUDIES COURSE SYLLABUS Course ID: DAN 125 Course Title: History of Dance I Term: Spring 2008 Credit Hours: 3 Contact Hours: 45 Faculty Information: Name: Ila Conoley E-Mail Address: Ila.Conoley@ppcc.edu Office Location: Campus: DTSC Room: S-232 Office Phone #: 719.502.3124 Office Hours: S-118 Monday 6 – 8 Tuesday 10 – 1, 3 – 5 Thursday 10 -1 Friday 11 1 Division Office Contact Phone: CHTS 502.3200, DTSC...»

«Jalen’s Heir John Murphy c Draft compiled March 6, 2004 Contents Chapters i Part One: Ari ii 1 The Siege of Mediter 1 2 Revelation 19 3 A New Start 37 4 A Moment’s Rest 51 5 Clippings 71 6 The Calm of March 79 7 Spring Storms 93 8 Preparations 107 9 Violence 121 10 The Article 135 Part Two: Dane 146 11 Flight of the Magician 149 12 Kendauer 163 i 13 Akrostira, On Foot 175 14 Changes 191 15 The Storm Approaches 199 16 A Night On The Town 207 17 A Change of Policy 227 18 History I 239 19...»

«GLOSSAE. European Journal of Global History 13 (2016) ISSN 2255-2707 Edited by Institute for Social, Political and Legal Studies (Valencia, Spain) Honorary Chief Editor Antonio Pérez Martín, University of Murcia Chief Editor Aniceto Masferrer, University of Valencia Assistant Chief Editors Wim Decock, University of Leuven Juan A. Obarrio Moreno, University of Valencia Editorial Board Isabel Ramos Vázquez, University of Jaén (Secretary) Francisco Calabuig Alberola, University of Valencia...»

«Section for East Asian Art University of Zurich Institute of Art History Gablerstrasse 14 CH-8002 Zurich Switzerland Telephone +41 43 344 58 82 http://www.khist.uzh.ch/Ostasien.html http://www.eastasianarthistory.net/ International Symposium: Katagami in the West 『海外での「型紙」の姿』 March 1820, 2016 Abstracts / 発表概要集 In chronological order Akiko Mabuchi, M.A. (Director, National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo) Japonisme Designs and the Katagami in the Circle of...»

«/2-28.72 _ NEVADA ',J., Historical SOC i at y ' ;.1 luartarly 'iDter · 1972 VOLUME XV NUMBER 4 EDITOR WINTER • 1972 M. JOHN TOWNLEY EDITORIAL BOARD E. WILLIAMSON LYNN Assistant Editor Contents ROBERT DAVENPORT LAS VEGAS The Bullion-Tax Controversy HOWARD HICKSON ELKO by Lynn E. Williamson JAMES HULSE The Last Indian Uprising RENO In the United States WILBUR S. SHEPPERSON by Frank Vernon Perry RENO Notes and Documents HARRY WILDER PIOCH E From Our Library Collection What's Being Written 45...»

«Agnese Kukela, Valdis Seglins University of Latvia, Latvia STUDY OF THE HISTORICAL MONUMENTS: FROM THE PHOTOGRAPHY TO THE DIGITAL SPATIAL MODEL Abstract The gradual deterioration of historical stone monuments due to weathering and other factors, including the development of tourism is a growing concern. Precise documentation along with historical drawings and photographs of these objects is very important for elaboration of sustainable monument remedy and preservation plan. The integration and...»

«Appendix 2 Sons of the Law of One Sons of the Law of One The set of several hundred Past Life Readings given by the Sleeping Prophet Edgar Cayce constitute the most accurate and detailed source of information concerning the height of the Atlantean civilization, during the spiritually and technologically advanced psychoacoustic era of the pyramid-builders' global infrasonic network. This profound resource presents fascinating scientific data that deserves attention. Hundreds of psychic readings...»

«CONCORDIA THEOLOGICAL QUARTERLY CTQ January 1977 Volume 41, Number 1 Cornerstone of Religious Liberty.Eugene F. Klug 3 The Problems of Inerrancy and Historicity in Connection with Genesis 1-3.David P. Scaer 21 Luther’s Impact on Modern Views of Man.Lewis W. Spitz 26 Killing with Kindness.K. Marquart 44 Theological Observer..50 Homiletical Studies..53 Book Reviews..84 Luthers' Impact on Modern Views of Man LEWIS W. SPITZ Regarding the disputed authorship of King Henry VIII's Assertio Septem...»

«Launceston Historical Society Inc. Newsletter No 131 September ISSN 1036-7950 PO BOX 1296 LAUNCESTON TAS 7250 “Bringing together people with an interest in history” Launceston Architecture On 10 July 2011 Dr Anne Neale provided a captivated audience with a preview of her work on an architectural guide to the commercial, industrial and civic buildings in the central part of Launceston. She will include the city’s many historically significant-buildings bounded by the Esplanade, Wellington,...»

«1 INVESTOR’S CHOICE A SURVEY July 2003 By Student Members Of the Indian Liberal Group Chennai Chapter © Indian Liberal Group This is an online version of the Survey on Investors Choice (July 2003). Hard copies are available on request. Views expressed in this booklet are not necessarily those of the Indian Liberal Group. Published by S.Venkatraman, Secretary, Indian Liberal Group, Chennai Chapter 16, Krishnapuri Chennai 600 028. Contents Foreword I Preface II Introduction III A Historical...»

«The African Symposium: An online journal of the African Educational Research Network RETHINKING ‘THE TRAGIC’ IN OLA ROTIMI’S DRAMATURGY Christopher Anyokwu University of Lagos Abstract It is fairly commonplace to suppose that the persistent search for a conceptuallyadequate and universally-acceptable definition of ‘tragedy’ will remain for the foreseeable future work-in-progress. What is, however, reassuring is the face that progressive-minded theorists and scholars in the humanities...»





 
<<  HOME   |    CONTACTS
2017 www.thesis.dislib.info - Online materials, documents

Materials of this site are available for review, all rights belong to their respective owners.
If you do not agree with the fact that your material is placed on this site, please, email us, we will within 1-2 business days delete him.