WWW.THESIS.DISLIB.INFO
FREE ELECTRONIC LIBRARY - Online materials, documents
 
<< HOME
CONTACTS



Pages:     | 1 |   ...   | 39 | 40 || 42 | 43 |   ...   | 54 |

«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»

-- [ Page 41 ] --

The one-story, three-bay, hip-on-gable-roofed, brick Period Cottage displays an extended front gable with returns and an arched-head, louvered wood vent. A shorter, but identical front gable contains an arched-head bay with a paneled wood door with a round, multi-light window at its top. Windows on the front half of the dwelling are six-over-six with fanlights, while those on the back half of the house are six-over-one. A battered brick chimney occupies the west gable end of the main block. A shed dormer with synthetic siding sits on the west slope of the brick rear ell roof. The Cravers are the earliest known occupants and appear at this address in the 1930 city directory. He was a dentist.

–  –  –

A one-story, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard. A garage bay and single leaf door pierce its façade.

House 2100 Rolling Road ca. 1950 Contributing Building The one-story, six-bay, side-gabled, brick Ranch house faces North Chapman Street, but has a Rolling Road address. The four-bay block to the south is slightly higher than the north block and contains an inset, weatherboard-sheathed porch supported at its northeast corner by a wood post. A paneled wood door with two upper lights occupies the porch. Windows are eight-over-eight and a wide brick chimney rises from the rear roof slope. Aluminum siding sheathes the gable ends.

Lola and Lucius L. Glascock Jr. House2102 Rolling Roadca. 1935Contributing Building

The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, cross-gabled, brick Period Cottage displays two front gables of differing heights. The lower one is pierced by a louvered wood vent and contains the entry and a small window; a fabric awning shelters the its façade. A wide brick chimney rises from the intersection of the front and side gables with one of its shoulders exposed. Windows are six-over-six. The east elevation displays two projecting gables, the northernmost topping a sunporch with new six-over-one windows.

The Glascocks bought the property in August 1935 and first appear at this address in the 1937 city directory. He was a salesman for Glascock Stove and Manufacturing Company. They sold the house in 1944.

Garage 2102 Rolling Road ca. 1970 Contributing Building A large, front-gabled garage stands in the rear yard.

–  –  –

Contributing Building The two-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style house displays a front-gabled portico with wood posts. It shelters a paneled wood door with six-lights set in a rectangular grid at the top.

Windows are eight-over-eight with soldier-course lintels topping the first level windows. A brick chimney rises from the east gable end. A brick ell extends from the rear elevation. The Holshousers bought the property in June 1934 and first appear in the city directory in 1936. He was the assistant city auditor. They sold the house in 1937.

Garage 2103 Rolling Road ca. 1935 Contributing Building A partially-obscured, side-gabled, brick garage with a front-gabled dormer stands in the rear yard.

Eleanor and Robert Team House 2104 Rolling Road ca. 1928 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick house features an off-center, front-facing gable pierced by an oculus, multi-light window framed in header-course brick. Brick posts and a solid brick balustrade with concrete coping support the flat-roofed porch sheltering the multi-light front door; the porch floor continues to the east as a patio fronted by the solid brick balustrade. Windows are six-over-one and a brick chimney rises from the interior rear roof slope. A flat-roofed, brick sunroom with tall, narrow, sixover-six windows is attached to the east gable end. Team was a traveling salesman. A hip-roofed brick ell extends from the rear. The Teams bought the property in August 1928 and first appear at this address in the 1930 city directory (the 1929 city directory does not include Rolling Road). He was a traveling salesman. They sold the house in 1944.

Garage 2104 Rolling Road ca. 1928 Contributing Building

–  –  –

Myrtle and Francis O’Brien House 2105 Rolling Road ca. 1928 Contributing Building The two-story, three-bay, side-gabled, wire-cut-brick Colonial Revival-style house displays molded brackets at its cornice. A flat-roofed portico topped by a metal balustrade and supported by fluted posts shelters the paneled wood door with multi-light sidelights with a wood panel below. Windows are eightover-eight and six-over six and topped by soldier-course lintels. First floor façade windows, which are paired, are also crowned by a cast concrete keystone. An exterior brick chimney rises from the east gable end and through the roof of the one-story, side-gabled, brick sunporch. The O’Briens, who first appear at this address in the 1930 city directory (the 1929 city directory does not include Rolling Road), are the earliest known occupants. O’Brien owned a leather goods business.

Garage 2105 Rolling Road ca. 1928 Contributing Building A one-story, front-gable, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.

Mary and J. Elwood Mitchell 2106 Rolling Road ca. 1927 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage displays front-facing gable with returns that is pierced by an arched-head louvered wood vent. A flat-roofed porch supported by Tuscan columns resting on a concrete-on-brick porch floor shelters a paneled wood and multi-light door.





Windows are replacement six-over-one and framed by soldier-course lintels and header-course sills. A front-gabled, synthetic-sided dormer rests on the front roof slope. A brick chimney occupies the east gable end. A gabled ell extends from the rear and a hip-roofed brick projection extends from its west elevation. The Mitchells bought the property in October 1926 and they are listed at this address in the 1930 city directory (the 1929 city directory does not include Rolling Road). He was treasurer of MooreMitchell Company, and insurance business, and secretary-treasurer of Home Building and Loan Association. They sold the house in 1939.

NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Garage 2106 Rolling Road ca. 1927 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.

Ida and D. Frank Siler House 2107 Rolling Road ca. 1928 Contributing Building The two-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style house features a gently-arched portico with flared eaves and a tongue-and-groove vaulted ceiling. Fluted posts support the portico that shelters a multi-light door framed by multi-light sidelights and topped by a semi-elliptical fanlight.

Dentils grace the dwelling’s cornice. Windows are six-over-one and framed by soldier-course lintels and header-course sills. Half-circle windows grace the top of each gable end. An interior brick chimney rises from the rear roof slope on the west side of the house. A one-story, one-bay, flat-roofed, brick wing topped by a metal balustrade is attached to the west elevation. It displays four-over-four windows and a dentil cornice. The Silers bought the property in May 1928. Frank Siler was a cashier for North Carolina Industrial Bank.

Garage 2107 Rolling Road Contributing Building ca. 1928 A side-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.

Lillie C. and G. Archie Russell House 2108 Rolling Road ca. 1928 Contributing Building The two-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style house is composed of two-side gabled blocks and displays a front-gabled, weatherboard-sided portico with returns and grouped wood columnettes. The portico, graced with an arched, louvered wood vent, shelters a multi-light door with sidelights. Windows are replacement six-over-ones and are framed by soldier-course lintels on the first NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) floor and a continuous header-course sill on the upper level. A brick chimney rises from the east gable end of the main block, where it meets the two-story, side-gabled, brick block. A gabled ell attaches to the rear of the wing. An arched, multi-light window pierces the upper gable of the west gable end. The Russells bought the property in April 1926 and the family first appear at this address in the 1930 city directory (the 1929 city directory does not include Rolling Road). Russell was a chemist at Vick Chemical Company. The Russells owned the house until 1936.

Garage 2108 Rolling Road ca. 1928 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, brick garage stands in the rear yard.

Bertha and Frank Hutton House 2109 Rolling Road ca. 1929 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style house includes a shedroofed, brick projection topped by a front gabled pediment with dentils and returns that surmounts a paneled wood door topped by a fanlight and framed by round pilasters with tall caps; small windows pierce the east and west sides of the projection. A three-bay, shed-roofed, stuccoed dormer rests on the front roof slope. Windows throughout are replacements and include six-over-six and four-over four and are framed by soldier-course lintels and header-course sills. A brick chimney rises from the west gable end, while another straddles the roof ridge on the east side of the main block. A hip-roofed ell extends from the rear. The Huttons bought the property in April 1929. He was in the real estate and insurances businesses and city directories from the early 1930s indicate that the house was likely a rental property.

The Huttons are listed as occupants in the 1935 city directory. The Hutton family owned the house until 1992.

Garage 2109 Rolling Road ca. 1929 Contributing Building

–  –  –

Vacant Lot 2204 Rolling Road Margaret and Vernon Phillips House 2205 Rolling Road ca. 1956 Contributing Building The one-story, side-gabled, brick Ranch house is composed of two blocks: the eastern section is threebays wide and contains a paneled wood and multi-light door framed by fluted pilasters and tucked beneath the roof overhang, while the western section is two-bays wide and set slightly lower than main block. Windows are replacement eight-over-eight and surmount paneled wood aprons. A brick chimney straddles the ridge of the western side. The Phillips bought the property in 1955 and likely built the house soon thereafter; they first appear at this address in the 1957 city directory. He owned and operated the V. R. Phillips Esso Servicecenter.

Garage 2205 Rolling Road ca. 1956 Contributing Building A one-story, two-bay, front-gabled, brick garage stands in the rear yard. It appears on the 1966 Sanborn map.

Ruth F. and Max B. Heath House 2206 Rolling Road ca. 1956 Contributing Building The five-bay, brick and synthetic-sided Split-Level dwelling epitomizes the style that took hold in suburbs throughout the country beginning in the mid-1950s. This house has its entrance, a paneled wood door with sidelights, in the side-gabled brick wing. The abutting one-story-on-basement side-gable block is sheathed with synthetic siding and overhangs a high brick foundation. Windows throughout are eightover-twelve and eight-over-eight. A brick chimney rises from the west end of the higher side-gabled wing, while another brick chimney occupies the west end of the one-story block. A small synthetic-sided sunporch fitted with eight-over-eight windows and a multi-light door attaches the west gable end. Max Heath was the plant manager for Interstate Bakeries, according to the 1927 city directory.

NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Garage 2206 Rolling Road ca. 2000 Noncontributing Building A one-story, front-gabled, synthetic-sided garage stands in the rear yard. An octagonal window pierces its upper gable.

Sylvan Road Zelian and Henry Helms House 2401 Sylvan Road ca. 1937 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick house features an off-center, front-facing gable pierced by a tall, narrow, louvered wood vent topped with a soldier-course brick lintel. Square posts support a shed-roofed, vinyl-clad porch that shelters a multi-light door. Windows are replacement sixover-one and framed by soldier-course lintels and header-course sills. A front-gable, vinyl-sided dormer contains a six-over-six window. A brick chimney rises from the east gable end, forward of the roof ridge. A shed-roofed hood surmounts an aluminum-clad and enclosed entry porch on the west elevation.

A one-story, brick ell is topped with a large synthetic-sided, shed-roofed dormer on its west side. The Helmses bought the property in July 1929, but he does not appear at this address until the 1938 city directory. Helms served as principal of Central Junior High School.

Garage 2401 Sylvan Road ca. 1937 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.

–  –  –

The two-story, five-bay, side-gabled, synthetic-sided, neo-Colonial Revival-style house features a classical entrance composed of fluted pilasters and a pediment with a dentiled cornice framing a paneled door. Dentiled cornices top the one-over-one windows. A large gabled ell extends from the rear.

Mary F. S. and Joseph T. Carruthers Jr. House2403 Sylvan Roadca. 1937Contributing Building

The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick house displays an off-center, front-facing gable pierced by a six-over-six, arched-head window crowned by a header-course arch. Columns support a shed-roofed porch that shelters a multi-light door. Windows are six-over-one with soldier-course lintels and header-course sills, except in the front-gabled, weatherboard dormer that is fitted with a six-light, fixed window. A brick chimney occupies the east gable end, just forward of the roof ridge and the sidegabled brick projection on the rear half of that elevation. The Carruthers are the earliest known owners and occupants and first appear at this address in the 1938 city directory. Mary Carruthers was a stenographer with the city auditor’s office and Joseph Carruthers Jr. was an attorney.

Garage 2403 Sylvan Road ca. 1937 Contributing Building A one-story, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.



Pages:     | 1 |   ...   | 39 | 40 || 42 | 43 |   ...   | 54 |


Similar works:

«KINGDOMCENTERED PRAYER DR. TIMOTHY KELLER Throughout the Old and New Testaments and church history, every spiritual awakening was founded on corporate, prevailing, intensive, kingdom-centered prayer. We cannot create spiritual renewal by ourselves, but we can “prepare the altar” and ask God to send his Holy Spirit to change our hearts, our churches, and our communities. Christians are used to thinking about prayer as a means to get their personal needs met. More mature Christians understand...»

«School of Occupational Therapy Student Handbook Academic Year 2015-2016 Revised May 2015 INTRODUCTION Historical Perspective Accreditation Degree Offered Mission Statements Educational Philosophy for the School of Occupational Therapy Goals, Outcomes and Objectives School of Occupational Therapy Program Outcomes TUN Institutional Student Outcomes and School of Occupational Therapy Criteria. 11 ACOTE Standards ACOTE Preamble Completion Requirements Curriculum Occupational Therapy Practice...»

«Cultural Computing – Creative Power Integrating Culture, Unconsciousness and Software Naoko Tosa 1 Kyoto University. Yoshida Nihonmatsu-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto, 606-8501, Japan tosa@media.kyoto-u.ac.jp Abstract. The author is carrying out technology studies to explore and expand human emotions, sensibility, and consciousness by making innovative use of artistic creativity. We develop interfaces for experiencing and expressing the essence of culture'' such as human feelings, ethnicity, and story....»

«LEONARDO DA VINCI LA BELLA PRINCIPESSA. ERRORS, MISCONCEPTIONS, AND ALLEGATIONS OF FORGERY by MARTIN KEMP Following the publication and widespread media publicity about the portrait of a young Milanese women on vellum, dubbed La Bella Principessa, it is worth taking stock, not least to assess the kinds of arguments that have been deployed. Of the denunciations of the attribution to Leonardo, the most sustained has been that by Katarzyna Krzyzagórska-Pisarek in her “La Bella Principessa....»

«THE CHURCH AND PRIORY OF ST. MARY, MONYMUSK The picturesque village of Monymusk is situated on the right bank of the River Don about twenty miles south-west of the city of Aberdeen. Monymusk is a Celtic name, probably meaning `moor and river' and the scenery in the parish exhibits variety and charm owing to the sharp contrast between the rich agricultural haugh around the river as it spreads itself into graceful loops on its way to Kemnay and Inverurie and the rugged heather and tree-clad hills...»

«BUREAU ENGRAVING PRINTING OF AND BEP History Papers prepared by the Papers epared Historical Resource Center, 2004 Historical esource enter, w w w. mon e y f a c tor y. g ov The mission of the Historical Resource Center (HRC) is to collect, document, and preserve the history of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing and its products. The HRC serves as a resource for research and dissemination of information concerning the Bureau’s history and products. This booklet and its contents were...»

«News Monitor The Weekly European News Roundup Dec. 3-9, 2008 Issue Highlights EU climate package explained BBC Global options for tackling climate change EurActive EurActiv examines some of the main policy options and instruments Time to redesign the Structural Funds system EurActive Bulgaria Athens burns and with it a history of democracy Czech Republic EU Observer Estonia Hungary Beyond the Headlines EurActive Analysis Reflecting on EU solidarity Latvia Transitions Online Analysis Enlargement...»

«Electronic supplementary material for: Nocturnality in Synapsids Predates the Origin of Mammals by Over 100 Million Years K. D. Angielczyk1, L. Schmitz2* Integrative Research Center, Field Museum of Natural History, 1400 South Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL, 60605, USA. W. M. Keck Science Department, Claremont McKenna, Pitzer, and Scripps Colleges, 925 North Mills Ave., Claremont, CA 91711, USA. *Corresponding Author: Lars Schmitz, W. M. Keck Science Department, Claremont McKenna, Pitzer, and...»

«Journal of Natural History, 2005; 38(28): 2661–2669 Patterns of artificial avian nest predation by introduced rats in a fragmented laurel forest (Tenerife, Canary Islands) ´ ´ ´ JUAN D. DELGADO GARCIA, JOSE R. AREVALO, & ´ M. FERNANDEZ-PALACIOS ´ JOSE Departamento de Ecologıa, Facultad de Biologıa, Universidad de La Laguna, Tenerife, Canary ´ ´ Islands, Spain (Accepted 11 March 2005) Abstract The importance of introduced rats as damaging factors on island biotas is globally...»

«La Salle College High School Football: In Retrospect NOTE: This is the eighteenth of, I hope, many retrospectives highlighting some unique history of the football program at La Salle. The topics to discuss seem endless at this time. Hope you enjoy these. Bill Wasylenko, ‘69 Issue Number Eighteen: The Friar-Explorer Rivalry On January 6, 2012, the Archdiocese of Philadelphia announced the closing of Monsignor Bonner High School, among other schools. This Retrospect was written with that...»

«Atopic Keratoconjunctivitis Fahd Anzaar, MD, C. Stephen Foster, MD, FACS, FACR A 31 year old male patient presented to us, referred from an ophthalmologist in New York, with a diagnosis of ‘recent corneal tear in the right eye’. The patient complained of persistent ‘soreness’, excessive tearing, and photophobia. He had had these complaints intermittently, alongwith yellowish mucous discharge (especially upon awakening) for many years and many eye drops and oral medications had been...»

«The Tragical History of Dr. Faustus From The Quarto of 1604 by Christoper Marlowe Rev. Alexander Dyce (ed.) Styled by LimpidSoft The present document was derived from text provided by Project Gutenberg (document 779) which was made available free of charge. This document is also free of charge. THE TRAGICALL HISTORY OF D. FAUSTUS. AS IT HATH BENE ACTED BY THE RIGHT HONORABLE THE EARLE OF NOTTINGHAM HIS SERUANTS. WRITTEN BY CH. MARL. DRAMATIS PERSONAE THE POPE. CARDINAL OF LORRAIN. THE EMPEROR...»





 
<<  HOME   |    CONTACTS
2017 www.thesis.dislib.info - Online materials, documents

Materials of this site are available for review, all rights belong to their respective owners.
If you do not agree with the fact that your material is placed on this site, please, email us, we will within 1-2 business days delete him.