WWW.THESIS.DISLIB.INFO
FREE ELECTRONIC LIBRARY - Online materials, documents
 
<< HOME
CONTACTS



Pages:     | 1 |   ...   | 40 | 41 || 43 | 44 |   ...   | 54 |

«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»

-- [ Page 42 ] --

Alma and Buell Frazier House 2404 Sylvan Road ca. 1935 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage features an off-center, frontfacing brick gable pierced by an upper, arched-head, louvered wood vent. A catslide roof tops the slightly projecting recessed porch supported by square brick posts. It shelters a paneled wood door.

Windows are six-over-six; a front-gabled, synthetic-sided dormer contains a one-over-one window. A chimney rises from the east elevation forward of the roof ridge. A side-gabled brick projection occupies the west elevation. A brick, gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. The Fraziers bought the parcel in April 1931, but do not appear at this address until the 1936 city directory. He was a post office clerk.

NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Shed 2404 Sylvan Road ca. 1935 Contributing Building A one-story, front-gabled, weatherboard shed with a single-leaf front door occupies the rear yard.

Dorothy and Ashley James House 2405 Sylvan Road ca. 1938 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick house displays a wood-post supported shed-roof porch which projects slightly forward on its west half. The porch shelters a paneled wood door.

Windows are eight-over-eight and six-over-six. The two, front-gabled, vinyl-sided dormers on the front roof slope contain six-over-six windows. A wide brick chimney that has two paved shoulders on its north side occupies the west gable end, forward of the roof ridge. A gabled hood shelters an east elevation entry. The Jameses bought the property in April 1938 and first appear at this address in the 1939 city directory. James was the secretary-credit manager for the downtown Greensboro clothing store, Younts-DeBoe Company.

Garage 2405 Sylvan Road ca. 1938 Contributing Building A front-gabled, one-bay, German-sided garage stands in the rear yard.

Alma and Melvin Dobbs House 2406 Sylvan Road ca. 1940 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled brick Minimal Traditional dwelling features a hardboard-sided, front-gabled entry portico pierced by an octagonal, louvered vent and supported by square posts. It shelters a multi-light and paneled wood door. Windows are eight-over-eight and a brick chimney rises from the east gable end forward of the roof ridge. The Dobbs bought the property in May 1939 and first NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) appear at this address in the 1940 city directory. She was a bookkeeper for Ellis Stone and Company and he was a salesman for National Cash Register. They sold the house January 1941.

Mary H. and Henry A. Helms House 2407 Sylvan Road ca. 1935 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, multi-colored brick Minimal Traditional house features an off-center, front-facing gable. A concrete and brick patio extends along the entire façade. A new shed-roofed porch shelters a paneled wood door and three-part picture window. Other windows are six-over-one and are topped by a flat radiating brick arch. Two aluminum-sided, front-gabled dormers feature six-over-one windows. A brick chimney occupies the east gable end, forward of the roof ridge. A GIS photo indicates a large shed dormer on the rear roof slope. The Helmses appear at this address as renters in the 1930 city directory; they never owned the house. During this period, Charles T. Boyd, an attorney, owned the house and likely built it as rental property. He sold the house in April 1938. During the period when they first occupied this house, Mary Helms was a teacher at Greensboro Senior High School and Henry Helms was principal of Lindley Jr. High School.

Greenhouse 2407 Sylvan Road ca. 2000 Contributing Building A front-gabled, synthetic-sided greenhouse stands in the rear yard.

Edith and George Batchelor House 2408 Sylvan Road ca. 1935 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, cross-gabled, brick Period Cottage features two front-facing gables, both pierced with small windows on their upper portions. The larger gable is sheathed in weatherboard and features a metal, hip-roofed bay window with four-over-four windows flanking a large picture window. The smaller gable is brick and holds an arched-head bay containing the paneled wood door with two upper lights. A brick façade chimney is located to the west (left) of the entry. Windows throughout are replacement six-over-six. Front-gabled garage in rear yard is not visible from the rightof-way. The Batchelors bought the property in October 1936 and first appear at this address in the 1937 NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) city directory. He was a salesman for Greensboro Loom Reed Company. The house remained in the family until 1963.

Barbara and Bertram Levy House 2409 Sylvan Road ca. 1956 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional house features a shedroofed, aluminum-sided porch supported by paired square posts and sheltering a single-leaf door and three-part picture window. Windows throughout are two horizontal lights over two horizontal lights, including those in the pair of aluminum-sided front-gabled dormers resting on the front roof slope. A wide brick chimney occupies the east elevation, forward of the roof ridge. The Levys bought the property in 1956 and first appear at this address in the 1956 city directory. The couple owned and operated a plumbing and heating business. They sold the house in 1965.





Maude and Coates P. Bull Jr. House2410 Sylvan Roadca. 1934Contributing Building

The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Cape Cod dwelling features a paneled wood door with fanlight set under a brick segmental arch piercing a brick projection. Windows are replacement eight-over-eight and topped with soldier-course brick lintels. Two front-gabled dormers are sheathed in diagonal wood siding with beaded weatherboard in the front gables and contain six-over-six sash. A brick chimney occupies the west gable end forward of the roof ridge. A hip-roofed bay window with four-over-four windows with paneled aprons below occupies the south end of the east elevation. A gabled brick ell extends from the rear elevation. A rear yard garage is not visible from the right-of-way.

The earliest occupants were renters who first appear at this address in the 1929 city directory. In September 1936, the Bulls bought the house and were the first owner/occupants. They owned it until

1948. He was the deputy superintendent of Southern Dairies, an ice cream maker whose slogan was “The Cream of the South.”

–  –  –

The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional house displays an offcenter, front-facing gable pierced by a small window topped with a fanlight and framed with an archedhead, header-course brick surround. Paired wood posts and single wood pilasters support the shed-roof porch that shelters the paneled wood door with an upper fanlight. Windows are replacement six-overone, including the one in the weatherboard-sheathed, front-gabled dormer resting on the front roof slope.

A brick chimney rises from the east gable end, forward of the roof ridge. A hip or gable-roofed brick ell extends from the rear elevation. The Jacksons bought the property in July 1928 and first appear at this address in the 1928 city directory. Jackson worked as a clerk for Vick Chemical Company. The family no longer owned the property by the early 1930s.

Garage 2411 Sylvan Road ca. 1950 Contributing Building A front-gabled garage stands in the rear yard. It appears to be sheathed with T-111 siding.

Ruth and Newell Sapp House 2412 Sylvan Road ca. 1936 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage displays an off-center, frontgable. A partial-width, recessed porch is supported by brick posts and features a solid brick balustrade pierced with arched openings and topped with concrete caps. The porch projects slightly and shelters a paneled wood and multi-light door. Windows are six-over-one on the porch and six-over six elsewhere.

A front-gabled, asbestos-sided dormer contains a nine-light, arched-head window. A brick chimney occupies the west gable end, just forward of both the roof ridge and a side-gabled brick projection. The Sapps are the earliest known occupants and owners and first appear at this address in the 1937 city directory. He was an insurance adjuster.

Alice and Yancey Busbee House 2413 Sylvan Road ca. 1926 Noncontributing Building

–  –  –

with synthetic siding; identical bays grace the side gables. The smaller gable surmounts the entry composed of a paneled wood and multi-light door topped with a blind wood arch. The front porch has been enclosed, except for the area forward of the entry. While the brick knee wall and brick plinths remain, vertical synthetic siding sheathes the porch, which is fitted with windows composed of two horizontal lights over two horizontal lights. Other windows are one-over-one. A hip-roofed brick ell extends from the rear elevation. A brick chimney occupies the east gable end. A GIS photo indicates a large outbuilding in the rear yard, but it is not visible from the right-of-way. The Busbees bought the property from A. K. Moore Realty in August 1926 and first appear at this address in the 1929 city directory. He was a manager at Herbert’s, a shoe store. They sold the house in July 1932.

Mary and John Kidd House2414 Sylvan Roadca. 1940Contributing Building

The one-story, three-bay, steeply-pitched side-gabled, brick Period Cottage features a steeply-pitched gabled projection containing a Tudor-style paneled wood door with four lights set in a square. A battered brick chimney occupies the façade, just to the east (right) of the entry. Windows are six-oversix and one-over-one. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. The Kidds never owned the house but were the first to occupy it; they appear at this address in the 1940 city directory. Kidd was a salesman.

Mildred and Francis Fletcher House2415 Sylvan Roadca. 1928Noncontributing Building

The one-story, three-bay, cross-gabled, brick Period Cottage displays a modern two-tiered porch that extends in front of the two westernmost façade bays. Square wood posts support the porch, while simple wood balustrades grace both levels. Two gables with returns occupy the façade; both display archedhead bays in their upper levels. Windows are four-over-one and a brick chimney occupies the west gable end; an additional chimney is located on the interior just behind the roof ridge. A modern standing-seam metal roof crowns the dwelling. A small, side-gabled projection sheathed in vertical wood extends from the east elevation. A gabled ell occupies the rear. The Fletchers bought the property in March 1928 and appear at this address in the 1928 city directory. Fletcher was an agent for the Standard Oil Company.

–  –  –

ca. 1928, ca. 2000 Noncontributing Building A one-story, front-gabled garage with synthetic siding stands in the rear yard. Its bays have been enclosed and the westernmost fitted with a single-leaf door.

Leota and Cyrus Holt Heritage House 2504 Sylvan Road Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, steeply-pitched side-gabled, brick Period Cottage features a steeply-pitched gabled projection containing a Tudor-style paneled wood door with four lights set in a square. A battered brick chimney occupies the façade, just to the east (right) of the entry. Windows are six-oversix and one-over-one. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. Interior appointments are similar to other homes in the neighborhood and include oak floors, simple backband trim, a masonry fireplace, and two-panel wood doors. Alterations include the expanded kitchen utilizing space that held the butler’s pantry, an upgraded bathroom, and new crown moldings. Cyrus Heritage was born around 1888. At the time he lived in this home he was a district sales manager, and the couple lived here in the early years of the Great Depression with their children Joyce and Holt. The Heritage family lost their home through foreclosure on November 1, 1929, and Marg Kester of Winston-Salem purchased the house at the end of that year. Kester maintained the house as a rental property into the 1940s, leasing the house first to the Sawyer family and then to Mrs. Mayme Wachter. Sawyer was an architect with projects on his resume such as new armories in Sanford and Lumberton. Wachter was secretary to Dr. Walter Cole, an orthopedic surgeon at the Sternberger Hospital on Summit Avenue. Ms. Kester sold the home to Jean and Sol Blasenstein in 1947. Blasenstein operated at the Carolina Battery Company on Battleground Avenue. The Blasensteins only lived in the house two years before selling it to Ann and Joseph Lucca, a textile dyer. The Luccas were also relatively short term owners, having sold the property to Dorothy and Robert McNamara in 1953. McNamara was employed as a department chief at the Western Electric operation in the nearby Pomona Mill that produced electronics equipment for the United States Armed Forces. The McNamaras sold the home in 1956 to Alda Dixon, who maintained ownership for almost twenty years. Ms. Dixon, alongside hundreds of other Gate City citizens, worked at the massive Blue Bell plant on South Elm Street. Ms. Dixon sold the property in 1977 and ownership changed rapidly until purchased in 1987 by current occupants Elaine and Roger Bardsley.(Information for this house is from Benjamin Briggs of Preservation Greensboro Inc.)

–  –  –

ca. 1980 Noncontributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, T-111-sided shed stands in the rear yard.

Almeria and Thomas Taylor House 2505 Sylvan Road ca. 1928 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gable, aluminum-sided bungalow displays exposed purlins along its gables. Battered wood posts on stone plinths supports the front-gabled porch with synthetic-sided fascia and eaves. The original Craftsman-style door composed of two vertical panels below six lights set in a rectangle remains beneath the porch roof. Windows are nine-over-one replacements. A stone chimney rises from the east elevation. The Taylors, who first appear at this address in the 1929 city directory, are the earliest known occupants. He was a claim agent for the Atlantic and Yadkin Railway.

Maude and James Harris House2506 Sylvan Roadca. 1937Contributing Building



Pages:     | 1 |   ...   | 40 | 41 || 43 | 44 |   ...   | 54 |


Similar works:

«Book Review / Islamophobia in America: The Anatomy of Intolerance Islamophobia in America: The Anatomy of Intolerance Editor Carl W. ERNST University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, UNITED STATES Book Review / Islamophobia in America: The Anatomy of Intolerance Reviewer Scott L. WALKER Northwest Vista College, UNITED STATES Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan Publication Year: 2013 Edition: First Edition Pages: 212 Price: US$ 29, €26 ISBN: 9781137321886 Islamophobia, a form of “othering” that...»

«‫שיח שדה • גיליון מס' 7 קיץ התשעא‬ Of Tragedies and Crises: Talmudic Views on Managing the Commons Jeremy Benstein Abstract Two classic essays have shaped the contours of environmental thought since its inception. Completely unrelated to each other, they were both published in the journal Science within the space of a year in the late sixties, though neither were articles in the natural sciences. Historian Lynn White Jr.’s essay, “The Historic Roots of Our...»

«Ferrari 488 GTB: extreme power for extreme driving pleasure Forty years on from the unveiling of Ferrari’s first ever mid-rear-engined V8 berlinetta, the 308 GTB, the Prancing Horse opens a new chapter in its 8cylinder history. The 488 GTB name marks a return to the classic Ferrari model designation with the 488 in its moniker indicating the engine’s unitary displacement, while the GTB stands for Gran Turismo Berlinetta. The new 488 GTB not only delivers unparalleled performance, it also...»

«Catalogue of Medieval Manuscripts The prefaces to M R James' four volume catalogue of Trinity College Manuscripts Volume I. Manuscript in class B The manuscripts in the Library of Trinity College are kept in three locked classes, designated respectively as B, R, and O. Class B is situated near the southern end of the Library, on the east side; class R is directly opposite to it; and class O is on the east side, near the north end. In B are contained the theological MSS.; in R those of...»

«Café Internet Índice 1. BREVE HISTORIA DEL GIRO 02 2. ESTUDIO DE MERCADO 06 3. OPERACIONES 19 4. EQUIPO 34 5. INSTALACIONES: UBICACIÓN Y SERVICIOS AUXILIARES 41 6. PERSONAL, ESTRUCTURA, ORGANIZACIÓN, DIRECCIÓN Y CONTROL 47 7. COSTOS DE OPERACIÓN Y ADMINISTRACIÓN DE INVENTARIOS 67 8. MARCO LEGAL 81 9. MARCO CONTABLE E IMPUESTOS 109 10. ADMINISTRACIÓN FINANCIERA 126 11. MERCADOTECNIA 137 12. PRESENTACIÓN A INVERSIONISTAS Y BANQUEROS 152 13. BIBLIOGRAFÍA Y RECONOCIMIENTOS 157 Café...»

«Wojciech J. Muszyński1 Bolesław Piasecki as the victim of post-modernist historical revisionism Mikołaj S. Kunicki, Between the Brown and the Red: Nationalism, Catholicism, and Communism In 20th-Century Poland – The Politics of Bolesław Piasecki (Athens, OH: Ohio University Press, 2012) Abstract In the following review, Dr. Wojciech J. Muszyński offers a critical analysis of Mikołaj Kunicki’s book on Bolesław Piasecki. As an iron pragmatic who began his political career as a...»

«Journal of Australasian Mining History Volume 1 September 2003 Number 1 TABLE OF CONTENTS Pages REFEREED PATRICK BERTOLA 1 23 Depression and Surviving: Gold Mining at Kalgoorlie from World War 1 to 1931 DAVID CARMENT 24 30 Presenting Mining’s Past in the Northern Territory MEL DAVIES 31 50 The South Australian Mining Association: An Early Australian Cost-book Company CHARLIE FOX 51 78 Work and Welfare at Mt Lyell 1913 – 1923 PHILIP HART 79 94 Maori and Mining: A Case Study of Hone Werahiko...»

«TRAILS OF ALLAIRE STATE PARK Allaire State Park offers over 20 miles of official, blazed trails in both the main area of the park near Allaire Village and on the south side of the park next to Hospital Road. Many of the trails are multi-use (for hiking, biking and horse-back riding), but closer to the historic Allaire Village, they are for hiking only. Permitted uses are indicated on trail signage. The Manasquan River meanders through Allaire State Park, occasionally flooding the area creating...»

«942 THE HISTORY AND POTENTIAL FUTURE OF CAPE YORK PENINSULA [By CLEM LACK, B.A., Dip.Jour.] (Read at a meeting of the Society on 26 April 1962.) Thrust like a gigantic finger into the waters of the Coral Sea on its eastern side, on the north by Torres Strait, and on the west by the Gulf of Carpentaria, Cape York Peninsula forms the northernmost triangle of the Australian Continent. Its peak just further north than any other part of the Continent, and is separated from the New Guinea mainland by...»

«Redesigning the central bank for financial stability responsibilities Speech by Jaime Caruana General Manager, Bank for International Settlements On the occasion of the 135th Anniversary Conference of the Bulgarian National Bank Sofia, 6 June 2014 Introduction I would like to thank Governor Iskrov for the kind invitation to join you on this historic occasion. I am very pleased to be here to celebrate 135 years of the National Bank. These 135 years indeed make for a remarkable story – few...»

«El Aporte de la corporación de Juristas en la constitución, gestión y orientación de las Políticas Educativas Nacionales (1830 – 1930). [Revista de la Facultad de Derecho Nº 22. Enero/Junio/2003. Universidad de la República. Fundación de Cultura Universitaria. Págs. 29-62.] Dr. Luis Delio (Prof. Agregado y Coordinador de Ciencia Política; Prof. Adjunto de Historia de las Ideas. Facultad de Derecho. UDELAR.) En los últimos años en nuestro país, el debate que tiene por objeto lo...»

«Course Syllabus LI 839 XJ History of Libraries Fall Semester 2015 Matt Kurz Faculty: mkurz@emporia.edu E-mail: (864) 653-0013 Primary Phone: canvas.emporia.edu Online Course Login: Credit Hours: Internet, begins 8/17/2015 Meetings: Important Dates for Fall 2015 (Block 1) 8/17 First Day of Class 8/23 Last Day to Add/Drop 9/7 Labor Day (ESU closed) 9/21 Last Day to Withdraw 10/9 Last Day of Class 12/12 Commencement 12/15 Final Grades Due Program Goal The goal of the SLIM Master of Library Science...»





 
<<  HOME   |    CONTACTS
2017 www.thesis.dislib.info - Online materials, documents

Materials of this site are available for review, all rights belong to their respective owners.
If you do not agree with the fact that your material is placed on this site, please, email us, we will within 1-2 business days delete him.