«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»
The one-story, front-gabled, stucco Craftsman bungalow displays triangular knee braces in its gables. A front-gabled porch with rafter tails is supported with battered wood posts atop brick plinths. The porch floor extends beyond the porch roof to span the entire façade. A replacement door is paneled wood and replacement windows are six-over-one. Soldier course lintels and header-course sills frame the windows. Side gables on the north and south elevation are sheathed in stucco. An exterior brick chimney is found on the south elevation, forward of the side gable. A gabled ell sheathed in vinyl siding is located on the rear. A chimney rises from the interior of the ell. A rough-coursed rock-faced stone wall lines the lawn along the driveway. Agnes Petree, a widow who appears at this address in the 1928 city directory, is the earliest known occupant.
Mary S. and Samuel W. Robertson House224 South Tremont Driveca. 1928Contributing Building
The one-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled with returns, brick dwelling exhibits an off-center front gable with returns pierced by an arched-head opening with a replacement four-over-four window. A projecting, flat-roofed porch supported by Tuscan columns is screened, except for the portion forward of the paneled wood and multi-light door. Windows throughout are four-over-four and six-over-six replacements. The south gable end displays a window similar to the one in the front gable, except with six-over-six sash. A chimney with a smooth shoulder on its east side is positioned on the south gable end, forward of the ridge. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. The Robertsons bought the property in March 1926 and first appear at this address in the 1929 city directory; the house is listed as vacant in the 1928 city directory. He was the manager of Armour and Company, a wholesale meat company. They sold the house in March 1935.
Garage 224 South Tremont Drive ca. 1928 Contributing Building A side-gabled with returns, two-bay, brick garage with wood doors that have eight lights on their upper portions stands in the rear yard facing south.
The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style house displays a commanding frontgabled portico with returns supported by Tuscan columns. The portico shelters a brick and concrete porch floor forward of a tripartite entrance composed of a multi-light transom and multi-light and paneled sidelights framing a paneled wood door with a six-light panel above. Flanking the entrance are recessed panels. Eight-over-eight façade windows top paneled wood aprons. On the south elevation, a side-gabled with returns roof tops a one-story wing with Tuscan columns and a solid paneled wood balustrade. The porch has been enclosed with louvered glass. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. The Lambs are the earliest known occupants and first appear at this address in the 1938 city directory. They both worked as clerks at Jefferson Standard Life.
Garage 225 South Tremont Drive ca. 1937 Contributing Building A one-story, front-gabled, weatherboard garage on a brick foundation wall stands in the rear yard facing south. Doors of narrow vertical wood front its single bay.
Ellen D. and William D. Collier House 300 South Tremont Drive ca. 1954 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style dwelling features a projecting, one-story, front-gabled portico sheathed in vinyl and supported by square posts. Brick steps lead to the brick porch forward of the wood paneled door. Windows are two horizontal lights over two horizontal lights and a large picture window flanked by two-over-two windows pierces the façade north of the entrance. A pair of front-gabled, vinyl-clad dormers rests on the front roof slope. The rear elevation displays a large shed dormer and a screened porch whose flat roof extends to encompass an attached, vinyl-clad carport. The Colliers bought the property in 1954 and built the house soon thereafter; they first appear at this address in the 1955 city directory. He was a chief at the Internal Revenue Service.
The large, two-story, three-bay, Dutch Colonial Revival-style dwelling has a stucco and aluminum siding exterior. The roof's deep eaves overhang the lower level on all elevations and shelters a front door of vertical wood with large metal hinges. Two recessed, hip-roofed façade dormers flank a larger shedroofed dormer resting on the front roof slope. A stucco-covered brick chimney rises from the south end, forward of the roof ridge. The rear elevation displays a shed-roofed dormer and a recessed northeast corner screened porch. Windows throughout are ten-over-ten, eight-over-eight, and six-over-six. This house appears to have been built as a rental. The earliest tenants, who appear at this address in the 1927 city directory, were Ruth and Wilbur Ham and Maude and Robert E. Smith. Mr. Ham owned the Greensboro Auto Inn, while Maude Smith was a clerk at the post office and Robert Smith was a barber.
Garage 301 South Tremont Drive ca. 1926 Contributing Building A one-story, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard facing north.
Beadie V. and Covy B. Haskins House 302 South Tremont Drive ca. 1926 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, front-gabled, brick Craftsman bungalow exhibits exposed rafter tails and projecting purlins. The gable ends, including the side gables on the side elevations are sheathed in stucco. Large brick posts support a partial-width inset porch with a solid brick balustrade that shelters the multi-light door and pair of six-over-one windows. Concrete steps leading to the porch are framed by brick knee walls topped with concrete caps. Windows throughout are six-over-one. The Haskins bought the property from A. K. Moore Realty in January 1926, but were not the first to occupy it. The 1927 city directory indicates that Gertrude and Aurie Myers lived here; he worked for Odell Hardware. By the time the 1928 city directory was published the Haskins had moved in. He was manager of H and H Clothing Company. The Haskins owned the house until 1950.
A one-story, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard. No photo available.
Mildred and Joseph Bone House 303 South Tremont Drive ca. 1948 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled Minimal Traditional house displays an off-center, front-facing gable. Aluminum siding sheathes the exterior except for the brick skirt extending along the front of the side-gabled block and beneath a multi-light picture window. A replacement paneled wood door with two crowning lights is framed in a simplified classical surround of fluted pilasters supporting a molded cornice. Other windows are eight-over-eight. Triangular wood vents top each gable end. A brick chimney rises from the interior. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. The Bones bought the property in 1948 and likely built the house soon thereafter; they first appear at this address in the 1949 city directory. He was part owner of Mahone and Bone. The Bones owned the house until 1954.
Frances and Henry Brockman House304 South Tremont Driveca. 1955Contributing Building
The one-story-on-basement, side-gabled, brick house features concrete steps flanked by metal railings leading to a brick and concrete stoop forward of a paneled wood door set in a synthetic siding surround.
Windows are eight-over-eight replacements and the wide chimney is positioned on the interior.
Triangular, louvered, wood vents crown the gable ends. The Brockmans bought the parcel in 1954 and likely built the house soon thereafter; they first appear at this address in the 1955 city directory. She was a teacher at McIver School and he was auditor at the King Cotton Hotel. The house remained in the family until 2007.
House305 South Tremont Driveca. 1956Contributing Building
The one-story, one-bay, synthetic-sided house displays a hip-roofed bay window on its façade and a high brick foundation. The entry is located on another front gable block attached to the main front gable.
The brick chimney rises from the interior. Windows are six-over-six replacements.
NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Rozelle and Giles Morris House 307 South Tremont Drive ca. 1927 Contributing Building The one-story, four-bay, low-pitched-side-gabled stucco Spanish-influenced house features an off-center recessed front gable. The side-gabled roof encompasses a recessed entrance porch with arched openings.
A later pergola shelters the patio with a solid balustrade and French doors on the front gable. Façade windows are one-over-one with weatherboard skirts below. They are topped with arched wood trim. A porte cochere with arched openings and supported by battered stucco posts is located on the north elevation. A stucco chimney also occupies the north gable end. The Morrises are the earliest known occupants and first appear at this address in the 1928 city directory. He was department manager for Morrison-Neese Furniture Company. By 1930, the house was listed at vacant in the city directory.
Annie and Frank Hood House309 South Tremont Driveca. 1925Contributing Building
The unusual two-and-a-half-story, three-bay, front-gabled English Cottage dwelling exhibits a stucco exterior and a weatherboard gable crowning the facade. The large house features two slightly projecting front gables on each end of its façade that hold large arched-head doors set in a red-brick round arch surround. Weatherboards crown the upper portion of each gable. The doors are vertical wood with panels and display circular a multi-light round window on the upper half. A red brick patio extends along most of the façade. Large shed dormers are located on the side elevations and a red brick chimney straddles the ridge of the red, standing seam metal roof. All windows are six-over-six replacements. The Hoods, who first appear at this address in the 1927 city directory, are the earliest known occupants. He was president of Greensboro Music Company.
Waverly Way Alda Wimbish House 200 Waverly Way Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, brick Craftsman-style house displayed clipped side gables, exposed rafter tails, and triangular knee braces. Stout brick posts support the partial-width porch sheltered NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) beneath the roof. Concrete steps bordered by low brick walls topped with concrete caps lead to the porch bordered by a low brick balustrade. The porch's spandrels are slightly arched. A paneled wood and multi-light door, as well as a group of three six-over-one windows pierce the façade beneath the porch.
The side gables and front and rear shed dormers are sheathed in stucco. An exterior, north elevation chimney rises forward of the roof ridge. Windows throughout are six-over-one.
The house is attributed to carpenter and general contractor George F. Fogle. After the house was completed in 1928, Alda Wimbish bought it and maintained the house as a rental property. The first occupants were Minnie and Edward Sherrill along with their daughter Myrtle and her husband Ernest Dudley. Edward Sherrill was city clerk and treasurer. Ernest Dudley was manager at Livingston and Company, a broker of stocks and bonds. The extended family only lived under one roof for a year before taking different addresses elsewhere in the city. After the Sherrills moved out, a series of renters and short-term owners were associated with the house until Marion and Person Cooke acquired it in 1943.
The newlywed couple had two daughters and Person ran a cotton brokerage downtown under his own name. Tragically, Person died at the age of forty-three, and through his estate the house was sold to St.
Andrews Episcopal Church as a rectory. The rector of St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, Rev. Carl Herman lived in this home through the 1950s with his wife Margaret. He served the Greensboro church for more than thirty years, and he served as secretary of the convention for the Episcopal Diocese of North Carolina for thirty-one years. Subsequent owners included Julia and George Brumfield from 1964 to 1969; Lois and William King and Lois Hundley through 1975; Jane and Paul Sharp until 1983; Dana and James Hunt through 1987; and Elizabeth and Jerry Poole until 1991. Since that time, Linda and Edward Stroupe have owned the house. Information from Benjamin Briggs of Preservation Greensboro Inc.
Garage 200 Waverly Way Contributing Building A flat-roofed brick garage is located just to the rear of the house facing north. A paneled wood door fills the single bay.
The two-story, three-bay, side-gabled with returns, brick, Colonial Revival-style dwelling exhibits a one-story, full-width, flat-roofed porch topped with a wood balustrade and supported by grouped wood posts and wood pilasters. The porch shelters a central, multi-light door framed with fluted pilasters and a flat cornice. Windows throughout are six-over-one with soldier-course lintels and header-course sills; on the south elevation, one-story, hip-roofed, three-sided bay, windows are four-over-one. A one-story, side-gabled, screened porch features posts and a flat-roof with balustrade identical to those on the front porch. Hip-roofed entrance hoods supported by triangular knee braces pierce the north elevation and on the rear (east) elevation of the hip-roofed rear wing. A corbeled interior brick chimney rises from the center of the roof. The Mebanes bought the property in June 1926 and first appear at this address in the 1928 city directory. Mr. Mebane was a clerk at Vanstory Clothing Company. The Mebane family owned the house until 1964.
Garage 201 Waverly Way ca. 1926 Contributing Building A one-story, side-gabled, brick garage with rafter tails and paneled wood and multi-light doors stands in the rear yard. It features six-over-one windows.