WWW.THESIS.DISLIB.INFO
FREE ELECTRONIC LIBRARY - Online materials, documents
 
<< HOME
CONTACTS



Pages:     | 1 |   ...   | 3 | 4 || 6 | 7 |   ...   | 54 |

«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»

-- [ Page 5 ] --

Garage 2405 Camden Road Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.

Ethel and Lewis MacBrayer House 2406 Camden Road Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, cross-gabled, brick, Tudor Revival-style house displays a projecting, frontfacing gable sheathed in half-timbered stucco. The gable surmounts a porch with brick supports and a wood balustrade. A smaller gable immediately to the west (left) of the large gable is pierce by a small window that crowns a soldier-course arch above the replacement paneled wood door with two upper lights. A wide façade chimney is situated to the west (left) of the entry. Windows are six-over-six, except for the two four-over-four windows flanking a six-over-six window beneath the porch. A brick NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) ell extends from the rear. The MacBrayers bought the parcel in November 1936 and likely built the house soon thereafter; the address first appears in the city directory in 1937 with the MacBrayers as owners and occupants. He worked for the Internal Revenue Service. They owned the house until 1961.

Garage 2406 Camden Road Contributing Building A front-gable, one-bay, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.

House 2407 Camden Road ca. 1930 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, gable-on-hip-roofed, brick Period Cottage features a projecting, hip-roofed porch with brick supports and new wood balustrades. A projecting front gable with returns and an arched entry and an east side rectangular side bay with a wood balustrade shelters the multi-light door.

Windows are six-over-one replacements. A brick chimney stands just east of the entry. Soffits have been sheathed in vinyl siding. A rear gabled ell is sheathed with synthetic siding. A series of tenants occupied the house beginning around 1930. Building contractor Clyde Crevenston, who bought the parcel from A.

K. Moore Realty in 1926, likely built it as an investment property. Records indicate that he lost the house during the Depression.

Annie and Bradley Wyrick House2408 Camden Roadca. 1937Contributing Building

The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional-style house displays an off-center, front-facing gable sheathed on its upper level with wavy wood siding and pierced by an eight-sided, nine-light window. A partial-width, shed-roofed porch with arched openings and wood supports fronts the side-gabled portion of the façade. It shelters a louvered wood outer door. Windows are eight-overeight. A brick chimney rises from the east gable end, forward of the roof ridge. A gabled brick ell extends from the rear. An outbuilding in the rear yard is not visible from the right-of-way. The Wyricks bought the property in December 1936 and are listed as occupants in the 1938 city directory. He owned Bradley Wyrick Shade and Drapery Company.

NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Mabel and George King House 2409 Camden Road ca. 1929 Contributing Building The one-story, four-bay, flat-roofed, brick, Mission-style dwelling features a shaped and flat parapet. An arched opening shelters the recessed wood and multi-light door. A patio to the west of the entry fronts the brick façade chimney topped with a chimney cap and a pair of French doors. A small niche window with six-over-one sash pierces the wall just to the east of the entry. Triangular wooden projections below the cornice appear to simulate the vigas, or wooden beams found on adobe buildings in the southwest United States. Windows throughout are six-over-one. The Kings bought the property in May 1928 and likely built the house soon thereafter; the Kings appear at this address in the 1929 city directory. He was vice-president of Greensboro Hudson-Essex Finance Corporation. They owned the house until 1943.

Garage 2409 Camden Road ca. 1929 Contributing Building A flat-roofed, brick garage that matches the house stands in the rear yard.

Minnie and James Taylor House 2410 Camden Road ca. 1937 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Cape Cod house displays a shed-roofed entry porch supported by decorative iron posts that shelters a paneled wood door. Windows are replacement six-over-six. A pair of aluminum-sided, front-gabled dormers contains replacement six-over-six windows. A brick chimney rises from the east gable end. An aluminum-sided, shed-roofed dormer occupies the rear roof slope. A flat-roofed, brick ell extends from the rear elevation. Deeds and city directories from the 1930s indicate that the house served as rental property until about 1940. That year, Minnie and James Taylor bought the house and are listed in the 1941 city directory at this address. He worked for Home Life Insurance. They sold the house in 1944.

–  –  –

ca. 1937 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, aluminum-sided garage stands in the rear yard.

Helen and Alex Claiborne House 2411 Camden Road Contributing Building The one-story, four-bay, cross-gabled, brick, Period Cottage features a battered brick façade chimney.

The altered, partial-width, flat-roofed screened porch is sheathed in aluminum as are the gable ends on the façade and on the front, east elevation. The porch shelters the multi-light door located on the east elevation of the front-facing gable. The brick beneath the porch has been painted white. A side-gabled, brick projection is located on the east side of the gabled, brick, rear ell. Windows are six-over-one. The Claibornes bought the property from A. K. Moore Realty in December 1928 and appear at this address in the 1929 city directory. He was a traveling salesman. It remained in the family until 1979.





Garage 2411 Camden Road Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.

Lura and Chambers V. DeVault House 2412 Camden Road ca. 1929 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick, Period Cottage displays an off-center, frontfacing gable pierced with an arched-head window on its upper wall. A partial-width shed-roofed porch with slightly arched bays and wood posts shelters a multi-light door. Windows are six-over-one and three-over-one. An aluminum-sided dormer contains a three-over-one window. A brick chimney rises from the east elevation, just forward of the side-gabled, brick projection on the rear (north) end of the elevation. A gabled brick ell extends from the rear. The DeVaults purchased the property in August 1928 and appear at this address in the 1929 city directory. He was in the insurance business. They sold the house in 1930. Blanche and Aubrey Edwards were long time owners and occupants. They bought the NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) house in 1930 and Mrs. Edwards lived here into the 1980s. He worked for the E. F. Craven Company, which sold road-building machinery.

Garage 2412 Camden Road ca. 1929 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.

Etheleen and Fred Purgason House 2413 Camden Road ca. 1939 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick, Period Cottage features two, off-center frontfacing, overlapping gables. The smaller gable contains the paneled wood door, while the larger gable’s upper wall is pierced by a six-light window and is recessed in an arched-head opening. A forty-eightlight window occupies the lower level of this gable. A brick-lined planter extends along the façade east of the entry. Windows are eight-over-eight except in the vinyl-sided, front-gabled dormer that contains a replacement six-over-six window. A brick chimney rises from the west gable end, forward of the roof ridge. The Purgasons bought the property in March 1939 and likely built the house soon thereafter. They appear at this address in the 1940 city directory. He was a hosiery worker. They sold the house in 1943 and it has changed ownership several times since then.

Garage 2413 Camden Road ca. 1939 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, German-sided garage stands in the rear yard.

–  –  –

The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional dwelling features a dentil cornice that carries over the shed-roofed, partial-façade front porch sheltering a paneled wood and multi-light front porch. Windows are eight-over-eight. Gable ends, including those on the porch ends, are sheathed in hardboard. A side-gabled brick projection is located on the rear (north) of the east gable end. An interior brick chimney straddles the roof ridge. A small gabled ell extends from the rear. The Elders bought the property from A. K. Moore Realty in May 1941 and the house appears as “vacant” in the 1941 city directory. It is possible that A. K. Moore Realty built the house. The Elders appear at this address in the 1942 city directory. He was a division freight agent for Southern Railway. They sold the house in 1964.

Garage 2414 Camden Road ca. 1940 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.

Bonnie and Reuben McGahee House 2415 Camden Road ca. 1927 Contributing Building The one-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick, Minimal Traditional dwelling features a center, front gable with returns that surmounts a half-circle hood sheltering a multi-light door. A northeast corner recessed screened porch is supported with square wood posts with caps and bases. A pair of French doors and an obscured single-leaf door are sheltered by the porch. An interior brick chimney rises from the roof’s front slope, just to the southwest of the front gable. The McGahees, who appear at this address in the 1928 city directory, are the earliest known occupants. He was a salesman.

Garage 2415 Camden Road ca. 1927 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled garage appears to be sheathed in plywood.

–  –  –

Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-influenced house displays a full-width recessed porch supported by Tuscan columns. It shelters a paneled wood and multi-light door.

Windows are six-over-six. A pair of front-gabled dormers rests on the front roof slope and contains sixover-six windows. Side-gabled, brick projections occupy the rear (north) end of the east and west elevations. An interior brick chimney rises from the center of the rear roof slope, just behind the roof ridge. A gabled brick ell extends from the rear. The Hogewoods bought the property in August 1937 and appear at this address in the 1939 city directory. He worked as an assistant supervisor at the Great A&P Tea Company, which is now known simply as A&P. The Hogewood family owned the house until 1972.

Parry and Richard Kimbro House2417 Camden Roadca. 1940Contributing Building

The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick, Minimal Traditional house features a partialwidth porch supported by square wood posts set on a brick porch floor; a wood balustrade graces the porch. A chimney of multi-colored brick occupies the façade and extends through the porch’s shed roof.

The front door is flanked by multi-light sidelights. Windows are six-over-six. A large, front-gabled, aluminum-sided dormer rests on the front, roof slope. The Kimbros bought the property in December 1939 and appear at the address in the 1940 city directory. He was the city tax collector. They sold the house in 1949.

Garage 2417 Camden Road ca. 1940 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, German-sided garage stands in the rear yard.

Marion E. and Robert H. Morrison House 2418 Camden Road ca. 1928 Contributing Building

–  –  –

the full width of the porch that shelters the multi-light front door. An arched-head louvered wood vent pierces the upper gable. A similar vent pierces the main, brick front gable. Windows are six-over-one. A brick chimney rises from the west elevation, just in front of a side-gabled brick wing. An interior chimney rises from the east roof slope, just forward of a weatherboard front gable. The Morrisons, owners of the Five Points Service Station, are the earliest known occupants. They appear at this address in the 1929 city directory.

Garage 2418 Camden Road ca. 1928 Contributing Building A one-story, two-bay, hip-roofed, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.

Pearl and William French House 2419 Camden Road ca. 1928 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick, Colonial Revival-influenced house displays a large, aluminum-sided front gable with returns and supported by Tuscan columns. The front gable, which is pierced by an eight-sided, nine-light window, shelters a porch with a Chinese Chippendale balustrade and a paneled wood and multi-light door. Windows are six-over-one and topped by soldier-course lintels. An interior brick chimney straddles the roof ridge on the east side of the dwelling. A small, synthetic-sided, side-gabled entry porch fitted with one-over-one windows is located on the rear (south) portion of the west elevation. The Frenches bought the property in February 1928 and appear at this address in the 1928 city directory. He worked in sales for Wysong and Miles Company, a machinery dealer. They sold the house to A. K. Moore Realty, from whom they bought it, in 1932.

Outbuilding 2419 Camden Road ca. 1928 Contributing Building

–  –  –

Mary and George Bryant House 2420 Camden Road ca. 1929 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, cross-gabled, brick, Period Cottage displays a stepped-shouldered façade chimney flanked by small six-over-one windows on the front-facing gable. A flat-roofed porch supported by brick posts shelters the louvered wood outer door flanked by multi-light and paneled wood sidelights. A multi-light door occupies the west side of the front wing. Windows throughout are sixover-one. An interior brick chimney straddles the roof ridge. A flat-roofed entry porch on the rear (north) end of the east elevation is sided with beadboard and fitted with one-over-one windows. A hiproofed ell extends from the rear elevation. This house appears to have been built as a rental property, likely by Crews Brothers Concrete Company. The Bryants were the first occupants and they appear at this address in the 1930 and 1931 city directories. Mr. Bryant worked for Ellis-Stone and Company.

Long time owners and occupants were Melvina and Franklin Paschal, who bought the house in 1937.



Pages:     | 1 |   ...   | 3 | 4 || 6 | 7 |   ...   | 54 |


Similar works:

«Archaeologists and Acquisitionists © Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2011 Robin F. Rhodes (ed.), The Acquisition and Exhibition of Classical Antiquities: Professional, Legal, and Ethical Perspectives (Notre Dame, Indiana: University of Notre Dame Press, 2007), XIII + 192 pp. Herein are published the papers presented at a symposium held at the University of Notre Dame on February 24, 2007, organized by Robin F. Rhodes, Professor of Art History, and Charles R. Loving, Director of the Snite...»

«Frederik Kortlandt – Leiden University – www.kortlandt.nl THE GERMANIC WEAK PRETERIT FREDERIK KORTLANDT The main difficulty with the Germanic weak preterit is that one cannot endeavor an explanation of its origin without taking into account almost every aspect of the historical phonology and morphology of the Germanic languages. In the following I intend to show how a number of problems receive a natural explanation in a unified treatment on the basis of earlier studies. The theory...»

«washingtonpost.com: Search For Tomorrow 2/17/04 7:18 AM washingtonpost.com Search For Tomorrow We Wanted Answers, And Google Really Clicked. What's Next? By Joel Achenbach Washington Post Staff Writer Sunday, February 15, 2004; Page D01 In the beginning before Google a darkness was upon the land. We stumbled around in libraries. We lifted from the World Book Encyclopedia. We paged through the nearly microscopic listings in the heavy green volumes of the Readers' Guide to Periodical...»

«Juan Murcia Seismic Analysis of Santa Maria del Mar Church in Barcelona. Juan Murcia Seismic Analysis of Santa Maria del Mar Church in Barcelona. Spain | 2008 DECLARATION Name: Juan Murcia Delso Email: jmurciad@yahoo.com ID nº: 46765139K Title of the Seismic Analysis of Santa Maria del mar Church in Barcelona Msc Dissertation: Supervisor(s): Pere Roca Fabregat Year: 2008 I hereby declare that the MSc Consortium responsible for the Advanced Masters in Structural Analysis of Monuments and...»

«Native Title from Mabo to Akiba (2015) Sean Brennan, Brendan Edgeworth, Megan Davis and Leon Terrill (eds) The Idea of Native Title as a Vehicle for Change and Indigenous Empowerment Sean Brennan, Megan Davis, Brendan Edgeworth and Leon Terrill When the decision in Mabo v Queensland (No 2) (Mabo)1 was handed down by the High Court in 1992 it lifted the lid on many things in Australia. It was a much belated acknowledgment of an historical fact, that in 1788 the British asserted sovereignty over...»

«MYLES MCMURCHY “THE RED CROSS IS NOT ALL RIGHT!” HERBERT HOOVER’S CONCENTRATION CAMP COVER-UP IN THE 1927 MISSISSIPPI FLOOD In 1927, water gushed out of the Mississippi River’s levees, destroying nearly 100,000 homes and displacing close to 637,000 people in Arkansas, Mississippi, and Louisiana. In one of the largest fund raising drives in American history to date, the Red Cross, along with Secretary of Commerce Herbert Hoover, deliberately concealed the abuses that black refugees...»

«Ma~gr. Prac. As. Symp. Env. Res. & Manag., 1984: 728-739 MANGROVE RESOURCE MANAGEMENT IN A PACIFIC ISLAND NATION : FIJI G.B.K. BAINES Australian National Parks and Wildlife Service, P.O. Box 636, Canberra City Act 2601, Australia ABSTRACl' For Fiji, an archipelagic nation of the several hundred islands with a coastal resource oriented population, mangrove areas are of crucial significance for national development. They provide a renewable supply of food, timber, fuel, dyes and drugs. The...»

«John MacBeath April 2010 │ v2 – March 2012   Leadership for learning: concepts, principles and practice ‘Leadership and learning are indispensable to one another.’ So said John F. Kennedy in the speech he prepared to give in Dallas on the day of his assassination. What did he mean and what do we mean when we talk about Leadership for Learning? Words, words, words ‘Leadership’ is a word in common everyday use and with a multitude of meanings for different people. Its purposes and...»

«Primordial Hungarian Beliefs and Modern Literature Martin L. Kovacs In the opinion of historians of religion, the adoption and practice of monotheism, over time, does not exclude the possibility of reversion to some of the beliefs and rites of a much earlier level of development. In fact, it has been maintained as an axiom that a dialectic of the sacred has been at work in religious experiences all the time, predicating the possibility of spontaneous reversal of any religious position. 1 It may...»

«SEX, DRUGS AND PROTEST: THE FILM INDUSTRY AND THE COUNTERCULTURE Jean Du Verger Université Paris V “But of course!  the feeling  out here at night, free, with the motor running and the adrenaline flowing, cruising in the neon glories of the new American night  it was very Heaven to be the first wave of the most extraordinary kids in the history of the world” Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test (1968) Abstract The American counterculture of the 1960s and 1970s was a pivotal...»

«The History of St. Joseph Church The beginnings of Catholicism and the establishment of St. Joseph parish in Circleville go back to the arrival of John McLean in 1836. In 1840 the Riley family and others of the McLean family settled in the town. A number of the pioneer Catholics were German: the Miller brothers, the Snyder’s, the Bayer’s, the Puckers, the Smiths, the Wolfs, and the Drenchers. The construction of the Zanesville and Maysville turnpikes brought many families to the parish. The...»

«KINGDOMCENTERED PRAYER DR. TIMOTHY KELLER Throughout the Old and New Testaments and church history, every spiritual awakening was founded on corporate, prevailing, intensive, kingdom-centered prayer. We cannot create spiritual renewal by ourselves, but we can “prepare the altar” and ask God to send his Holy Spirit to change our hearts, our churches, and our communities. Christians are used to thinking about prayer as a means to get their personal needs met. More mature Christians understand...»





 
<<  HOME   |    CONTACTS
2017 www.thesis.dislib.info - Online materials, documents

Materials of this site are available for review, all rights belong to their respective owners.
If you do not agree with the fact that your material is placed on this site, please, email us, we will within 1-2 business days delete him.