«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»
Annice and R. S. Irving House 310 Woodbine Court ca. 1925 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Craftsman bungalow displays an off-center, vinyl-sheathed, front-gable over an open porch and supported by battered wood posts on brick piers. It shelters a multilight door framed by multi-light sidelights. Windows are eight-over-one, except where four, Craftsmanstyle, twelve-light casement windows pierce west end of the façade. A louvered wood eyebrow vent rests on the front roof slope. A brick chimney rises from the south elevation, forward of the roof ridge. A hip-roofed ell extends from the rear. The Irvings bought the property for A. K. Moore Realty in 1925. R.
S. Irving was a traveling salesman. The Irvings sold the house in 1973.
The one-story, five-bay, side-gabled, aluminum-sided Minimal Traditional house displays a projecting, front-facing gable with a bay window containing a twenty-light window flanked by eight-light windows.
Faux stone siding sheathes the bay window and the lower portion of the gable, while wood timbering covers the upper gable. The recessed entry, just to the south of the projecting bay, is supported on one side by a decorative metal post forward of the paneled wood door with four upper lights. Windows are eight-over-eight. A side-gabled screened porch on the south end is set back from the principal façade and is sheltered by a metal awing. An interior brick chimney rises from the rear roof slope, behind the front gable. The Kisers bought the property in 1951. The 1951-1952 city directory lists the house as under construction, but they appear at this address in the 1953 city directory. He owned Kiser Radio and Appliance. They sold the house in 1957.
Matheson-Younts House312 Woodbine Courtca. 1950Contributing Building
The one-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional house features a classically-inspired entrance with fluted pilasters and a flat cornice framing a paneled wood door. Windows are six-over-six and on the façade they surmount paneled aprons. An interior brick chimney is located on the south end of the main block, just to the north of the one-bay attached garage with a replacement door. Mamie Matheson bought the property in 1952. The 1951-1952 city directory lists the house as under construction, but she appears at this address in the 1953 city directory. In 1958, she sold the house to Mildred Younts, who owned it until 2002.
Louise and Paul D. Smith House314 Woodbine Courtca. 1941Contributing Building
The one-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional house features a two-bay, brick, projecting, front gable with a front-gabled portico with a vaulted soffit and square posts. It shelters a paneled wood door with plain surround. Windows are eight-over-eight and six-over-six. An interior brick chimney is located on the north end of the main block and straddles the one-bay-deep, side-gabled projection with synthetic-sheathed end. The side-gabled, synthetic-sided sun porch fitted with modern casement windows takes up most of the south gable end. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation.
The Smiths bought the property in 1941 and likely built the house soon thereafter. During the 1940s they rented the house to Clemmer and Edgar Curtis, who worked for Pure Oil Company. The 1949 city NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) directory indicates that Louis and Paul Smith were living at the house. They remained occupants into the early 1960s. He was a buyer for RJR Tobacco Company. The Smith family remained owners until 1998.
Garage 314 Woodbine Court ca. 1941 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, hip-roofed, brick garage with a replacement door stands south of the house.
Louise and Carl Smedberg House 315 Woodbine Court Noncontributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gable, brick house includes an off-center, front-facing gable pierced by a louvered wood vent its upper gable. A flat-roofed porch has been enclosed, sheathed with synthetic siding, and fitted with one-over-one windows and an aluminum storm door. A patio with a metal balustrade fronts the front gable, just north of the porch. Windows are six-over-one and are framed by soldier-course lintels and header-course sills. Soffits are sheathed in synthetic siding. A brick chimney occupies the south gable end. A gabled ell extends from the rear elevation. The Smedbergs bought the property in January 1926, but do not appear at this address until the 1929 city directory. He was supervisory for the city water department. They sold the house in 1944.
Eva T. and James L. Wells House317 Woodbine Court Contributing Building
The one-and-a-half-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style dwelling displays a heavily molded cornice and a classical entrance with pilasters and a multi-light transom framing the paneled wood door. Windows are six-over-six, including those in the three, front-gabled, synthetic-sided dormers resting on the front roof slope. A brick chimney occupies the north end of the main block and extends through the roof of the one-story, side-gabled, synthetic-sided porch with arched openings that have been fitted with large expanses of glass windows and doors. A one-story, side-gabled, brick wing occupies the south elevation. Its south gable end is sheathed in synthetic siding. The Wells bought the property in March 1936 and appear in the city directory for that year. He was a traveling salesman.
Wells heirs sold the property in 1970.
NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Garage 317 Woodbine Court Contributing Building A one-story, two-bay, side-gabled, brick garage with original x-braced wood and multi-light doors stands south of the house.
Wright Avenue Albert B. Barber House 2006 Wright Avenue ca. 1927 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick bungalow with rafter tails and triangular knee braces displays a façade whose west half, containing a divided-light door, projects forward. Brick posts support a full-width engaged porch with wide arched bays and a continuous brick balustrade with concrete caps.
Windows are six-over-one. A shed-roofed, square brick bay graced by rafter tails and with full-sized windows flanking a fixed light projects from the south end of the east elevation. A brick chimney rises from the west gable end, forward of the roof ridge. Albert Barber bought the parcel in 1926 or 1927 and constructed the house soon thereafter. He retained ownership until 1951.
Garage 2006 Wright Avenue ca. 1927 Contributing Building A one-story, two-bay, side-gabled, brick garage with rafter tails, but without doors stands in the rear yard.
The one-story, four-bay, side-gabled, hardboard-sided dwelling displays a front-gabled porch with paneled square wood supports and a fanlight in its gable. It shelters a divided-light door and the lower half of the brick façade chimney. Windows are five-over-one. According to the 1929 city directory, Mr.
Powell was an attorney with Powell & Shaw. The Powells bought the property from A. K. Moore Realty in 1929.
Garage 2007 Wright Avenue ca. 1929 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.
Florence Shelburne House 2008 Wright Avenue ca. 1950 Noncontributing Building A one-story, front-gabled, four-bay, brick house with vinyl-clad upper gables features a hip-roofed porch with modern metal columns that shelters a wood door with six-lights. Windows are replacement sliders. A brick chimney occupies the east gable elevation just forward of a brick projection fronted with a single-leaf door. Florence Shelburne, the library supervisor for the City Board of Education, bought the property in 1950 and built the house soon thereafter.
Garage 2008 Wright Avenue ca. 1950 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, German-sided garage with a replacement door stands in the rear yard.
The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional-style house displays an off-center, lowpitched front gable. A shed-roofed, vinyl-sided hood shelters the paneled wood door. A three-part picture window with replacement sashes pierces the west half of the façade. Other windows are replacement six-over-six. A synthetic-sided, shed-roofed addition is located on the rear elevation. The 1952 city directory lists the house as under construction. The Evanses likely built the house, but owned it only about one year; he was a salesman with Andrew Jergens Company. Jenny and Franklin Parker, who bought the house in 1955, owned it for longest period. Their heirs sold it in 1996.
Mamie and Darius Payne House2010 Wright Avenueca. 1927Noncontributing Building
The one-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage features a front gable with returns and a centered brick chimney flanked by small, replacement, six-over-one windows topped by soldier-course lintels. An unsympathetic, front-facing, hip-roofed enclosed porch projects behind the brick front gable and is sided with vertical, composite wood siding. A modern door with an oval light flanked by modern six-over-one windows fronts the enclosure; an identical window pierces the east and west elevations of the enclosure. Windows throughout are replacement six-over-one. An interior brick chimney rises from the center of the dwelling. A flat- or slightly hip-roofed, wood-sided entry porch is located on the east elevation. It is fitted with modern slider windows. A hip-roofed ell is original, but two gabled rear additions date to after 1966. The Paynes are the earliest known occupants and lived here in 1928. He was a traveling salesman.
Martha and Albert Woodroof House2011 Wright Avenueca. 1933Contributing Building
The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, aluminum-sided dwelling features an off-center, front-gabled porch with gable returns and square posts; a divided-light fanlight pierces the upper gable. The porch shelters the paneled wood door. Windows are six-over-one. A brick chimney rises from the east gable end, forward of the roof ridge. A gabled ell containing an interior brick chimney extends from the rear elevation. Woodroof, an architect, and his wife occupied the house in 1933.
Contributing Building A one-story, two-bay, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.
Marjorie and Elliot O. Watson House 2012 Wright Avenue ca. 1927 Contributing Building The one-story, four-bay, U-shaped, cross-gabled, brick dwelling features a flat-roofed, slightly projecting porch supported by brick posts and decorative metal posts. It shelters a paneled wood door with three lights at is crown. Windows are four-over-one. An arched-head, louvered, wood vent pierces both front-facing gables. Two interior brick chimneys rise from the back of the house. The Watsons purchased the lot and likely built the house in 1927. The Watsons owned the property until 1945. He was an instructor at Greensboro College.
Agnes and John Lee Thomas House2013 Wright Avenueca. 1927Contributing Building
A one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage displays a front-facing gable that extends to the west to surmount an arched bay leading to a small entry porch. An arched wing wall with a sloped cap extends from the east side of the front gable and contains a small arched bay. Three grouped windows pierce the front gable; the arched space above the windows is stucco and topped with a headercourse arch. Other windows are six-over-one and topped with soldier-course lintels. A brick chimney rises from the east elevation. A gabled ell extends from the rear. The Thomases are the earliest known owners and occupants. Mr. Thomas was president and treasurer of the Hewitt Thomas, a plumbing company.
Garage 2013 Wright Avenue ca. 1927 Contributing Building
Olive and Lawrence A. Crawford House 2015 Wright Avenue ca. 1927 Contributing Building The two-story, two-bay, steeply-pitched-side-gabled, brick Tudor Revival-style house display two, steeply-pitched front gables sheathed in half-timbered on stucco. The main block’s gable ends are also sheathed in stucco that is half-timbered. A later metal awning supported by decorative metal posts shelters most of the façade, including the arched-head wood door. Windows throughout are three-overone. A brick chimney rises from the east elevation, forward of the roof ridge. Mr. Crawford was department supervisor at Pilot Life Insurance.
Outbuilding 2015 Wright Avenue ca. 1927 Noncontributing Building A one-story, pyramidal-roofed, brick outbuilding that has been fitted with French doors stands in the rear yard.
Althea and Paul Kersey House 2106 Wright Avenue ca. 1932 Contributing Building The one-story, cross-gabled, brick Period Cottage features a front-facing gable with returns that shelters a west side inset screened porch with arched bays and brick round arches with cast masonry keystones.
An arched-head, vertical wood door with three small lights occupies the east side of the front-gable and, like the porch bay, is topped with a brick arch with a cast masonry keystone. Windows are replacement six-over-six and a brick chimney rises from the east gable end. An ell extends from the rear elevation.
The Kerseys built the house around 1932 and owned and occupied it until the early 1980s. He was a projectionist at the Carolina Theatre. He remained an employee of the theatre at least through the early 1960s
The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage displays a front-facing, clippedgable wing. A one-story porch spans the façade of the front-facing wing. Arched bays front the open half of the porch, while nine-over-one windows illuminate the sunporch to the east. A wood balustrade with square newel posts tops the flat-roofed porch. Windows throughout are nine-over-one and crowned by soldier-course lintels. A brick chimney rises from the west gable end, forward of the roof ridge. A one-story, flat-roofed, screened porch topped by a wood balustrade is located on the rear (south) side of the west elevation. The Couches are the earliest known owners and occupants, but lived here for a short period. He worked as a watchman for Sears, Roebuck, & Company. Marie and Robert Hickerson owned the house from 1945 into the 1970s. He was as an engineer.