WWW.THESIS.DISLIB.INFO
FREE ELECTRONIC LIBRARY - Online materials, documents
 
<< HOME
CONTACTS



Pages:     | 1 |   ...   | 4 | 5 || 7 | 8 |   ...   | 54 |

«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»

-- [ Page 6 ] --

Mr. Paschal was an attorney. It remained in the Paschal family until 2003.

Garage 2420 Camden Road ca. 1929 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, pyramidal-roofed brick garage stands in the rear yard. It retains its paneled wood and multi-light swing-out doors.

House 2421 Camden Road Noncontributing Building The two-story, four-bay, cross-gabled, synthetic-sided, neo-Queen Anne-style house features a hiproofed bay window on the façade of its front-facing gable. A Palladian-influenced window pierces the gable’s upper wall. A shed-roofed porch with sawnwork on its turned posts and a square balustrade extends along the side-gabled portion of the façade. Windows are one-over-one. A wall dormer is located just above the porch.

–  –  –

ca. 1939, ca. 2000 Noncontributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick house has been greatly expanded by the addition of a nearly two-story, front-facing, synthetic-sided gable on the east half of the façade. It overhangs the façade and is part of the full-width porch supported by square posts that rest on the brick patio fronting the house. Windows are one-over-one with original windows replaced. A brick chimney occupies the east elevation. The Ricketts bought the property in October 1939 and first appear as occupants of this address in the 1940 city directory. He was the office manager for Employers’ Liability Assurance Corporation. In 1946 they sold the house to Martha and E. Franklin Johnson. He was a school principal of and she was a teacher. The Johnson family owned the house until 2000.

Cathleen F. and Donnie H. Everett House2423 Camden Roadca. 1928Noncontributing Building

The one-and-a-half-story, cross-gabled, brick Period Cottage features a front-facing gable with returns and a façade chimney with small, flanking, arched-head windows. An enclosed, flat-roofed porch displays classically-inspired, square, wood posts and two walls of multiple windows. Windows are sixover-one with soldier-course lintels. A front-gabled, aluminum-sided dormer rests on the front roof slope. A small, hip-roofed entry porch is located on the rear (south) portion of the east elevation. The enclosed porch renders the house noncontributing. The Everetts first appear at this address in the 1928 city directory. He was an owner of Everett, Hallowell, Davis and Company, CPAs. The Everett family owned the house until 1991.

Garage 2423 Camden Road ca. 1928 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.

–  –  –

The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick, Colonial Revival-inspired dwelling features a large, synthetic-sided, front-gabled porch with returns, a tall and narrow, louvered vent, and is supported by slender columns. A metal balustrade extends along all sides of the porch. Windows are six-over six. The west bay on the façade contains paired windows with a crowning segmental arch topped by a wood keystone. A side-gabled, one-bay projection is located on the rear (south) end of the side-gabled main block. A paved shoulder brick chimney rises from the west elevation, just forward of the roof ridge. A brick ell extends from the rear. It is topped by a synthetic-sided shed dormer. A synthetic-sided, gabled ell is attached to the rear of the brick ell. Morgan bought the property in May 1931. She was the treasurer of the Greensboro City Board of Education. In 1933, she sold the house to Robert Moseley, an attorney. The Moseley family owned the house until 1975.

Garage 2425 Camden Road ca. 1931 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.

Nellie and Herbert Kimmel House 2426 Camden Road ca. 1928 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick, Cape Cod dwelling displays an off-center, flatroofed porch supported by Tuscan columns and square pilasters. The paneled wood door is framed by multi-light and paneled sidelights. Windows are six-over-six and topped by soldier-course lintels with header-course sills below. Three weatherboard dormers on the front roof slope contain four-over-four windows. A brick chimney rises from the east gable end. A shed roof dormer tops the east side of the gabled, brick rear ell. A modern, gable-front dormer rests on the slope on the west side of the ell. The Kimmels bought the property in October 1927 and likely built the house soon thereafter. They are listed at this address in the 1928 city directory. He was a professor in the school of education at the North Carolina Women’s College. The Kimmel family owned the house until 1996.

–  –  –

A front-gabled, weatherboard shed stands in the rear yard.

Helen and William T. Kelly House 2428 Camden Road ca. 1930 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage displays an front-gabled, weatherboard gable supported by wood posts and pilasters with caps and bases. The gable shelters a paneled wood door. Windows are six-over-six including those in the pair of front-gabled weatherboard dormers. Weatherboard also sheathes the top portion of the side gables. A brick chimney rises from the east gable end, forward of the roof ridge. A gabled brick ell extends from the rear elevation. The Kellys are the earliest known occupants and appear at this address in the 1931 city directory. He was vicepresident of Odell Hardware. The Pillow family was a longtime owner and occupant; they owned the house from 1943 to 1983.





Belew-Foust House2501 Camden Roadca. 1929Contributing Building

The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, cross-gabled, brick, Period Cottage displays a projecting front gable pierced with an upper arched-head, multi-light window. A smaller, front gable with a catslide roof contains the batten wood door with strap hinges topped by a fanlight crowned by a header-course brick arch. A tall, narrow, arched-head niche pierces the wall to the east (right) of the entry. A steeply-pitched, weatherboard dormer with multi-light, arched-head window rests on the front roof slope. A wide brick chimney rises from the east gable end of the main block and through the side-gabled roof of the onestory, enclosed side porch that has been fitted with six-over-one windows. Its brick supports remain visible. Weatherboard sheathes its gable end. A brick ell extends from the rear elevation. The Belews bought the property in June 1929 and appear at this address in the 1929 city directory. He was a salesman. In 1944, the Belews sold the house to Ada and Henry Foust. He was in the insurance business.

The Foust family owned the house until 1992.

–  –  –

A one-story, one-bay, pyramidal-roofed, brick garage stands in the rear yard.

Allie and Dallas Neese House 2504 Camden Road ca. 1930 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick, Colonial Revival-influenced house features a front-gabled portico with returns and a vaulted soffit. Fluted posts support the portico that shelters the multi-light door. Replacement windows are six-over-one and framed by soldier-course lintels and header-course sills. Interior brick chimneys rise from the front roof slope on the west end and from the roof ridge nearer the east elevation. Synthetic siding covers the side gable ends. A hip-roofed, brick entry projection on the rear (north) end of the east elevation is partially sheathed in synthetic siding. A hiproofed ell extends from the rear. The Neeses bought the property in November 1929 and first appear at this address in the 1930 city directory. He worked for Odell Mill Supply. They sold it in 1948.

Garage 2504 Camden Road ca. 1930 Contributing Building A one-sided, one-bay, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.

Armida B. and Henry Wiley Sholar House 2505 Camden Road ca. 1930 Noncontributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, two-bay, cross-gabled, brick Period Cottage displays a front-facing gable with returns and an ocular, nine-light window with header-brick surround on its upper wall. The principal front gable is slightly higher and pierced by a tall, narrow, arched-head louvered wood vent with a header-brick surround. A half-circle, bracketed hood extends from the east end of the main front gable and shelters a recessed multi-light door. A northeast corner brick, flat-roofed porch with stepped concrete coping has been enclosed with large windows with fanlights. Other windows are replacement six-over-one, except in the weatherboard, front-gabled dormer whose arched-head opening is filled with a replacement multi-light window. A wide, arched-head window pierces the upper wall of the east gable end. The interior brick chimney rises from near the intersection of the side and front gables. A gabled, brick ell extends from the rear. The Sholars bought the property in March 1929 and first appear at this NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) address in the 1929 city directory. He worked as a salesman. Samuel and Frank Sholar also lived at the house and were likely Henry Sholar’s brothers. The Sholars sold the house in 1944.

Garage 2505 Camden Road ca. 1950 Contributing Building A one-story, two-bay, front-gabled, hardboard-sided garage stands in the rear yard.

Evelyn and Murray S. Tate House 2506 Camden Road ca. 1935 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick house displays a nearly full-width shed-roofed porch supported by square posts. It shelters a paneled wood door. Windows throughout are six-over-six and a brick chimney rises from the west gable end, forward of the roof ridge. Vinyl sheathes the soffits. The north side of the east gable is sheathed in aluminum siding. A small gabled ell extends from the rear.

The Tates appear at this address in the 1936 city directory and are the earliest known owners and occupants. Mr. Tate worked in his family business, J. A. Tate and Company, a grain brokerage firm. The Tates lived here into the 1940s.

Garage 2506 Camden Road ca. 1935 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, German-sided garage stands in the rear yard.

Thelma and Howard Carr House 2507 Camden Road ca. 1939 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, cross-gabled, brick, Period Cottage displays a nearly full-width, front-facing gable with a wide, brick, façade chimney just to the west (right) of the roof ridge. A smaller front gable contains a single-leaf door. Windows are one-over-one replacements with soldier-course NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) lintels and header-course sills. A large, front-gabled, aluminum-sided dormer rests on the roof slope on the east elevation. A brick ell and a flat-roofed carport extend from the rear. The carport is topped by a deck with a modern wood balustrade. The Carrs bought the property in April 1939 and appear in the 1940 city directory at this address. That year, he was principal of David Caldwell School and she taught at John Van Lindley School. He later worked for Jefferson Standard Life Insurance. They sold the house in 1954.

Garage 2507 Camden Road ca. 1939 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, vinyl-sided garage stands in the rear yard.

Virginia and Erlu Neese House 2508 Camden Road ca. 1938 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, five-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage displays a center, front-facing gable pierced by a tall, narrow, four-over-four window surmounted by soldier-course bricks set in a stepped pattern. The door—a vertical wood leaf with four lights set in a square pattern—is below the gable and is flanked by small four-over-four windows. The chimney occupies the façade just to the west (left) of the front gable and is sheathed in simulated masonry. Windows are six-over-six. A gabled brick ell extends from the rear elevation. The Neeses bought the property in September 1937 and first appear at this address in the 1938 city directory. He was a watch repairman. They sold the house in 1958.

Garage 2508 Camden Road ca. 1938 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, front-gabled, German-sided garage stands in the rear yard.

–  –  –

The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, multi-colored brick Minimal Traditional-style house displays an off-center front-facing gable pierced with an arched-head, louvered wood vent. A projecting, shedroofed, screened porch extends across the side-gabled portion of the façade. It shelters the paneled wood door with upper lights. Windows are eight-over-eight. A brick chimney occupies the east gable end, just forward of the roof ridge. The Gorhams bought the property in 1937, but do not appear at this address until the 1940 city directory. They sold the house in 1951.

Garage 2509 Camden Road ca. 1940 Contributing Building A one-story, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.

Verdie and John Smith House 2510 Camden Road ca. 1940 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, brick, side-gabled, brick, Cape Cod house with a weatherboard, front-gabled portico pierced by an arched-head, louvered wood vent. Wood posts support the portico that shelters a paneled wood door. Windows are eight-over-eight, except in the pair of front-gabled, synthetic-sided dormers that contain six-over-six windows. A brick chimney occupies the east gable end, forward of the roof ridge. A shed dormer occupies the rear elevation. According to the current owner, the granddaughter of O. Henry (William Sydney Porter) lived here. Deeds indicate that members of the Porter family owned the house from 1980 to 2007. The Smiths purchased the property in July 1939 and first appear at this address in the 1940 city directory. He worked for the J. R. Watkins Company.

Garage 2510 Camden Road ca. 1940 Contributing Building

–  –  –



Pages:     | 1 |   ...   | 4 | 5 || 7 | 8 |   ...   | 54 |


Similar works:

«DELIVERABLE Project Acronym: DM2E Grant Agreement number: ICT-PSP-297274 Project Title: Digitised Manuscripts to Europeana D3.4 – Research Report on DH Scholarly Primitives Revision: Final 1.0 Authors: Steffen Hennicke (UBER) Stefan Gradmann (KUL) Kristin Dill (ONB) Gerold Tschumpel (UBER) Klaus Thoden (MPIWG) Christian Morbindoni (Net7) Alois Pichler (UiB) Project co-funded by the European Commission within the ICT Policy Support Programme Dissemination Level X P Public Page 1 of 100...»

«Faculty Guide for use with Video Segments for Abnormal Psychology, Third Edition by Ronald J. Comer Princeton University and Gregory P. Comer Princeton Academic Resources Abnormal Psychology: Past and Present 1. BENJAMIN RUSH’S “RESTRAINT CHAIR” CARL JUNG TALKS ABOUT FREUD, LIFE, AND 2. THE COLLECTIVE UNCONSCIOUS MEDICAL PROCEDURES USED IN MENTAL 3. HOSPITALS IN THE FIRST HALF OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY PREFRONTAL LOBOTOMY PROCEDURE, 1942 4. LOCKING AWAY THE “FEEBLEMINDED”: A 5....»

«Toward a Better Understanding of the Relationships among Received Wisdom, Groupthink, and Organizational Ethical Culture Ronald R. Sims College of William and Mary William I. Sauser Auburn University In this article we (a) describe our perspective on ‘received wisdom’ and ‘groupthink’ and how these phenomena affect organizational ethical culture, (b) provide numerous examples of the negative effects of ‘unwise’ received wisdom and groupthink on poor ethical decisions and actions...»

«The History of Anaesthesia The History of Anaesthesia “This is reproduced with permission of AUT University Auckland and is an extract from material prepared by Society member Dr Andrew Warmington, 2006, for the paper Anaesthesia I in the Diploma in Applied Science (Anaesthetic Technology)” Anaesthesia of today is the culmination of many earlier discoveries and events. Surgical procedures are not a recent thing. Mankind has been carrying out operations for thousands of years. The skeletal...»

«Journal of Historians of Netherlandish Art Volume 4, Issue 1 (Winter 2012) Gold-Brocaded Velvets in Paintings by Cornelis Engebrechtsz Esther van Duijn and Jessica Roeders Recommended Citation: Esther van Duijn, Jessica Roeders, “Gold-Brocaded Velvets in Paintings by Cornelis Engebrechtsz,” JHNA 4:1 (Winter 2012), DOI: 10.5092/jhna.2012.4.1.1 Available at http://www.jhna.org/index.php/past-issues/volume-4-issue-1/150-duijn-roeders-cornelis-engebrechtsz Published by Historians of...»

«Eddie Bell The Bell Group Albuquerque, U.S.A. Eddie Bell is Chairman of Neutec/USA and co-founder of the Santa Fe Symposium on Jewelry Manufacturing Technology. He is generally appointed as SME in the jewelry industry, and he is considered one of the most knowledgeable specialist in the process of lost-wax casting. He has delivered papers at several international conferences on jewelry technology, always presenting original analyses enriched by lots of practical aspects. Using investment cores...»

«================================================================= Language in India www.languageinindia.com ISSN 1930-2940 Vol. 14:10 October 2014 ================================================================= Envisioning the Past and Venerating Ancestors in Alice Walker’s The Temple of My Familiar N. R. Charrumathi, M.A., M.Phil. Abstract African American women writers are aware of the displacement and fragmentation that afflict African American individuals and so they turn to...»

«Twentieth Century British History, Vol. 21, No. 4, 2010, pp. 486–509 doi:10.1093/tcbh/hwq023 ADAM I.P. SMITH* University College, London The ‘Cult’ of Abraham Lincoln and the Strange Survival of Liberal England Downloaded from http://tcbh.oxfordjournals.org/ at University College London on November 24, 2012 in the Era of the World Wars Abstract This article explores the significance of what George Bernard Shaw called the ‘cult’ of Abraham Lincoln in England in the aftermath of the...»

«doi:10.7592/FEJF2008.38.talts “THE FIRST BUDDHIST PRIEST ON THE BALTIC COAST”: KARLIS TENNISON AND THE INTRODUCTION OF BUDDHISM IN ESTONIA Mait Talts Abstract: Karlis Tennison(s) is an essential, although controversial figure in the history of Buddhism in Estonia and Latvia. He was, without doubt, the first to disseminate Buddhism in the Baltic countries and also one of the earliest disseminators of Buddhism in Eastern Europe. Karl August Tõnisson, born in 1883 near Põltsamaa, Estonia,...»

«Folkeskolens undervisningsplaner Af Lejf Degnbol Ministerielt udarbejdede planer vedrørende undervisningen i folkeskolen er her i landet kun vej ledende. Det vil sige, at de er til rådighed for de lokale myndigheder, herunder lærerrådene, når disse udarbej der undervisningsplaner, der skal være gældende for de enkelte skoler. Folkeskoleloven angiver formålet for skolens arbejde. Ministeriet fastsætter derefter et formål for de enkelte fag, som er i overensstemmelse med skolens...»

«Camden Professorship of Ancient History in association with Brasenose College The University intends to appoint a Camden Professor of Ancient History (specifically in the field of Roman History) with effect from 1 October 2011 or as soon as possible thereafter. The Camden Professorship of Ancient History, which will fall vacant upon the retirement of Professor A K Bowman, is the University’s leading position in Roman history. Its holder will give leadership within a Classics faculty that is...»

«JUST ANOTHER NEOLIBERAL WORKER: Tracing the State’s Treatment of Low-Income Mothers MARGARET HILLYARD LITTLE Queen’s University, Canada Historically poor single mothers in liberal democratic states were recognized for their caring work, receiving some state support, however minimal. In the last two decades, neoliberal governments are no longer willing to recognize poor single mothers’ caring work.   Instead these governments have enacted a number of welfare reforms that see poor single...»





 
<<  HOME   |    CONTACTS
2017 www.thesis.dislib.info - Online materials, documents

Materials of this site are available for review, all rights belong to their respective owners.
If you do not agree with the fact that your material is placed on this site, please, email us, we will within 1-2 business days delete him.