«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»
Elizabeth and Clyde Brooks House 2511 Camden Road ca. 1950 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled Minimal Traditional dwelling is sheathed in aluminum siding. The westernmost bay is set in a shed-roofed projection that is set just forward of the rest of the façade. The east end of this projection overhangs the new paneled wood door with an oval light. Windows are sixover-six. An interior chimney is positioned on the front roof slope, just forward of the roof ridge. A shed-roofed dormer is located on the rear roof ridge. A rear ell is not visible from the right-of-way, but can be seen in an aerial photograph on the county GIS system. The Brookses bought the property in 1950 and appear at this address in the 1950 city directory. He was in the Marine Corps that year. He later worked for Ryder Tank Line. The house remains in the Brooks family.
G. W. Yow House2513 Camden Roadca. 1950Contributing Building
The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled Minimal Traditional dwelling is sheathed in aluminum siding. It displays a slightly-projecting front-gable and a shed-roofed entry porch supported by square wood posts that shelters a paneled wood door. An interior chimney rises from the front roof slope, above the entry and forward of the roof ridge. Windows are six-over-six. G.W. Yow bought the property in 1950 and first appears at this address in the 1951 city directory. G.W. Yow worked as an account clerk with the city tax collector’s office. Yow sold the house in 1970.
North Chapman Street House 203 North Chapman Street Noncontributing Building
Helen and Ernest B. Hunter House 300 North Chapman Street ca. 1928 Contributing Building The two-story, high-hip and side-gabled-roofed, brick Tudor Revival-style house displays a two-story, one-bay, projecting, front-gabled, brick wing at the center of the façade. A shed-roofed, brick entry porch pierced by an arched opening with a masonry sill shelters the paneled wood door. Windows are six-over-one and surmounted by soldier-course lintels. Brick chimneys rise from the north gable end and the interior of the rear roof slope near the southeast corner of the house. On the south elevation, the roof slopes downward over a porch that has been enclosed with sliding glass doors and large window panels.
This part of the roof is topped by a recessed, shed-roofed dormer. A two-story, gabled brick ell extends from the rear elevation. A brick retaining wall lines the sidewalk on the south side. Ernest Hunter was city editor of the Greensboro Daily News. The Hunters bought the property in 1927 and sold it in 1935.
Garage 300 North Chapman Street ca. 1928 Contributing Building A one-story, one-bay, side-gabled, weatherboard garage with rafter tails stands in the rear yard facing south toward Rolling Road.
Laura and James Gawthrop House 304 North Chapman Street ca. 1928 Contributing Building The two-story, four-bay, cross-gabled, brick Tudor Revival-style house displays a two-story, one-bay, front-facing brick wing with a clipped gable. Brick posts with tall stucco panels support a recessed porch with stucco arches. A clipped gable occupies the north end of the principal roof. Windows are six-oversix and topped with soldier-course lintels. A two-bay shed dormer rests on the steep front roof slope. A brick chimney rises from the north elevation. A flat-roofed, one-story sunporch with a crowning balustrade is located on the south elevation; it appears to wrap around to the rear elevation. The Gawthrops purchased the parcel from A. K. Moore Realty in 1927, but sold it in 1929. He was secretary of the Greensboro Chamber of Commerce.
NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Garage 304 North Chapman Street ca. 1928 Contributing Building A one-story, side-gabled, German-sided garage fronted by a pergola stands in the rear yard.
Frances S. and Julius E. Love House 306 North Chapman Street ca. 1939 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Cape Cod house displays a reeded arch crowning a fanlight over a paneled wood door flanked by sidelights with x-patterned muntins. Windows are sixover-six and on the façade they are crowned by segmental brick arches with cast masonry keystones.
Three front-gabled, weatherboard dormers rest on the front roof slope. A brick chimney rises from the south gable end and through the flat roof of a weatherboard screened porch with square posts and a crowning wood balustrade. The interior of this center-passage-plan house remains intact. The Loves bought the parcel from A. K. Moore Realty in June 1939 and likely built the house soon thereafter.
According to the 1940 census, Julius Love was born in Russia and had his own tailoring business. Two daughters living with the couple at the time of the census both taught in the city school system. The Loves remained owners until 1971.
Garage 306 North Chapman Street ca. 1939 Contributing Building A one-story, side-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.
Nancy and Charles W. Sherrill House 308 North Chapman Street ca. 1927 Contributing Building The two-story three-bay, gambrel-roofed, brick and stucco Dutch Colonial Revival-style house features a front-gabled portico with a vaulted soffit and gable returns. Decorative metal posts are joined on the portico’s sides to form arched bays. A blind fanlight tops the double-leaf doors. Fixed and paired NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) twelve-light windows on the first level of the façade are replacements and topped by a wood arch with a keystone. Other windows are six-over-six. A chimney rises from the south end of the main block. A two-story, but slightly lower south elevation wing includes a first level sunporch. The Sherrills bought the parcel in 1927 from A. K. Moore Realty and built the house soon thereafter. They remained owners until 1937. Mr. Sherrill was a salesman.
Garage 308 North Chapman Street ca. 1927 Noncontributing Building A one-story, side-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard. It features an interior brick chimney and new windows with a fanlight on the façade.
South Chapman Street Kathleen and Raymond Weaver House 106 South Chapman Street ca. 1936 Contributing Building The two-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style house displays a three-bay façade with a central recessed entrance with wood paneled sides and topped with a broken pediment. Paneled and glazed sidelights and a multi-light transom frame the fully-paneled single-leaf door. Two brick steps and the entrance stoop are bordered by decorative iron railings. Windows are replacement eight-overeight, double-hung sash with wood shutters on the façade. A brick chimney occupies the south gable end, between the original house and a one-story, side-gabled wing with hardboard siding and gable returns. The wing features an eight-over-eight window and a tall, narrow window on its façade. A gabled brick ell occupies the rear. Brick walls extend from the northeast and southeast corners of the dwelling. The Weavers bought the property in February 1936 and likely built the house soon thereafter;
they are first listed at this address in the 1937 city directory. Ray Weaver was the southern representative of Textile Machine Works, Inc. They sold the house in 1945. The Kern family bought the house in 1969 and continues to own it.
Contributing Building A one-story, front-gable garage with German siding and glazed and paneled bay doors stands behind the house and faces south.
Mamie and Austin F. Comer House 200 South Chapman Street ca. 1925 Contributing Building The two-story, three-bay, brick, Dutch Colonial Revival dwelling with a gambrel roof features a central front-gabled hood with vaulted underside supported by a pair of molded brackets and featuring an original Colonial Revival-style hanging pendant. Multi-light sidelights frame the fully-glazed, singleleaf door. A brick and concrete stoop is reached by two sets of three-step stairs bordered with low, paved brick walls. Windows are six-over-one, double-hung sash with wood shutters punctured with crescent motifs. Columned open porches with brick and concrete floors and flat roofs topped with wood balustrades with square pickets occupy the north and south ends. Quarter-round tracery lights flank the exterior end chimneys. A hip-roofed wing occupies the rear elevation. The Comers bought the property in September 1925. He was a salesman. They sold the house in 1944. Barbara and Leo James Oaster bought the house in 1961 and Barbara Oaster remains the owner.
Garage200 South Chapman Streetca. 1925Contributing Building
A one-story, side-gabled garage with lap siding and a pair of glazed and wood double doors that extend almost the full width of the façade stands in the rear yard facing north. The north and south elevations display rafter tails. An original lantern style fixture is positioned above and between the garage doors.
Nettie and William Spradlin House 201 South Chapman Street ca. 1925; 1963 Contributing Building The two-story, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival house was built in two stages. The ca. 1925 section is to the south and features a two-story, one-bay gabled projection with returns and an upper arched-head, louvered wood vent. Dentils grace all the cornices and the front-facing gable. Two sets of concrete steps NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) with metal railings lead to a concrete stoop on a brick foundation. A replacement paneled wood door with lights on its upper half is flanked by multi-light sidelights with wood panels below. A long wood handicap ramp extends from the north side of the stoop across three-quarters of the facade. Windows are six-over-one with concrete sills; first floor windows and a single sash in the upper front-gabled projection are topped by soldier-course lintels. Decorative rectangular panels of header bricks are positioned between the lower and upper level windows. Brick chimneys occupy the gable ends of the two-story block, although the northernmost is now situated between the original house and its 1963 addition. The south chimney is positioned forward of the roof ridge and the arched-head window occupies the upper gable end. A hip-roofed, one-story, brick wing with a multi-light door and flanking multi-light sidelights with wood paneling below on its façade is located on the south gable end. Dentils grace the wing. The 1963 addition is stepped back slightly from the original house and lacks a front door. It displays six-over-six windows and has a small hip-roofed, north elevation wing. A louvered wood vent caps its north gable end. A classical, front-gabled portico with fluted columns resting on a concrete-on-brick porch occupies the center of the rear elevation of the 1963 addition. Curved metal balustrades flank the concrete and brick stairs leading to the porch. A one-story, hip-roofed addition on the ca. 1925 house has been enclosed and sided with weatherboard. A flat-roofed addition on the rear of the south elevation wing is also sided in weatherboard. It displays six-over-six windows. Near the north end of the rear elevation of the ca.1925 house, steps flanked by lattice railings lead down to the basement. The earliest occupants were the Spradlins, who appear in the 1926 city directory at this address. William Spradlin was vice-president of American National Bank and Trust Company. In 1953, Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church purchased the house for use as a rectory. In the 1950s, it became a convent and was expanded in 1963 to accommodate additional sisters and a chapel. When the sisters left in 1980, the house became a residence for Faith Formation Director. It now serves as the church office.
Hilda and Richard Wharton House202 South Chapman Streetca. 1938Contributing Building
The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Cape Cod dwelling features a recently enclosed front-gabled entrance porch with classically-inspired corner posts. Brick steps bordered by decorative iron railings ascend to a fully-glazed door framed by pilasters. Windows are eight-over-eight, doublehung sash, although the front-gable dormers display six-over-six, double-hung windows. The Whartons bought the property in March 1938 and likely constructed the house soon thereafter. Richard Wharton was a salesman for Vanstory Clothing Company. The house remained in the Wharton family until 1989.
ca. 1938 Contributing Building A side-gabled, open-bay garage with weatherboard siding stands behind and facing the house.
Elizabeth and Lucius Glascock Sr. House 203 South Chapman Street Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, four-bay, side-gabled, random-coursed, sandstone-veneered Period Cottage with grapevine mortar displays a Tudor-inspired front gable with a curved eave on the north end and a southern eave that extends downward over a small arched opening. A front-gable with stucco and halftimbering shelters a screen porch accessed through multi-light French doors on the north end of the façade. The batten door with four lights arranged in a square is topped by a wood surround with a Tudor flattened-point arch. Windows throughout are eight-over-one and grouped. Terra cotta shingles cover the roof. The current owner says same contractor who built west campus of Duke built this house. The Glascocks bought the property in May 1935 and appear at this address in the 1936 city directory. Evelyn and Benjamin Wood Jr., owner of an Amoco Service Station also lived at this address, according to the 1936, 1937, and 1938 city directory; the couple’s relationship to the Glascocks is unknown. Lucius Glascock Sr. was vice president and secretary of Glascock Stove and Manufacturing Company. The couple’s son, Lucius Glascock Jr. and his wife Lola, lived on Rolling Road at the same time this house was built. This house remained in the Glascock family until 1981.
Garage 203 South Chapman Street ca. 1935 Contributing Building A side-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.
Mollie and Clyde Holt House 204 South Chapman Street ca. 1935 Contributing Building