«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»
round-arched, deeply-set tracery windows with stone keystones and voussoirs. This window repeats in the upper level of the wood-sided front gable; windows throughout the remainder of the house are sixover-six, double-hung sash. A glazed and wood single-leaf door is set in a front-facing bay with a curved wall to the south. A stone patio with concrete pad is forward of the door and the south end of the façade. The Holts bought the property in June 1938 and likely built the house soon thereafter; they and their three children appear at this address in the 1938 city directory. He was in the insurance business.
The house transferred to Mollie Holt in 1944 and she sold it in 1945. The Guffeys have owned it since that time.
Garage 204 South Chapman Street ca. 1945 Contributing Building The two-story, front-gabled garage with aluminum windows with horizontal lights on the upper floor and a replacement synthetic garage door stands in the rear yard.
Avis and Horace Kiser House 205 South Chapman Street ca. 1950 Noncontributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, Colonial Revival-influenced house exhibits a classical entrance composed of pilasters that extend to the entablature and frame a paneled wood door with four upper lights. Flanking decorative metal balusters line the brick steps leading to the entrance. A flight of three brick steps ascend to a northwest corner (front) screened porch sheathed in vertical wood siding and containing a multi-light door leading to the interior. Windows are eight-over-eight with soldiercourse lintels and header-course sills. According to a long-time neighbor, the upper story has been rebuilt and four oversized, vinyl-clad dormers with six-over-six windows added on the front roof slope.
Vinyl has also been added to the soffits. The Kisers, who first appear at this address in the 1950 city directory, are the earliest known owners. He was a textile engineer.
Garage 205 South Chapman Street ca. 2000 Noncontributing Building
Mary and Arnold A. Pichon House 206 South Chapman Street ca. 1925 Noncontributing Building The two-story, two-bay, pyramidal-roofed, Colonial Revival-influenced American Foursquare with weatherboard siding and exposed rafters displays an off-center, paneled and glazed front door with divided-light sidelights sheltered by a hip-roofed porch supported by slender Tuscan columns and framed with Tuscan pilasters. Identical columns and pilasters support a one-story, hip-roofed north (side) elevation porch with a wood balustrade with square balusters that shelters a full-glazed, singleleaf door. Windows throughout are six-over-one, double-hung sash set alone, in pairs, and on the first floor of the façade, in threes. An exterior, north elevation brick chimney extends through the roof of the side porch. The Pichons bought the house property August 1925 and first appear at this address in the 1926 city directory. He was a binder for Joseph J. Stone and Company, a printing business. They sold the house in 1944.
Garage 206 South Chapman Street ca. 1925 Contributing Building A weatherboard, two-bay, pyramidal-roofed garage stands behind the house.
Myra and Henry Collson House 207 South Chapman Street ca. 1936 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled brick Cape Cod house features a brick and concrete stoop bordered by metal railings fronting a classical entrance composed of fluted pilasters supporting an entablature with dentil molding and a punched swag element. A three-light transom tops a single-leaf paneled door. One-story, side-gabled wings flank the main block. The north wing is brick. The south wing was originally an open porch with square, wood supports. After 1990, it was enclosed, sided in vinyl, and fitted with four-over-four windows. Vinyl also sheathes the north gables ends. Soldier course lintels top the eight-over-eight and six-over-six windows throughout. The Collsons bought the parcel in October 1935 and likely built the house soon thereafter; they first appear at this address in the 1937 city directory. When they bought the house Henry Collson worked for Odell Hardware. By 1940, he was NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) president of Motor Supply Company. The house remained in the Collson family until 1988. Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church purchased it for use as the rectory in 2001.
Mattie Morgan House 208 South Chapman Street ca. 1925 Contributing Building The two-story, four-bay, side-gabled Colonial Revival-style dwelling with a dentil cornice features an off-center front-gabled portico with cornice returns and a vaulted underside. Paired, squared posts with capitals support the portico and are repeated in the pilasters that frame the single-leaf, paneled front door topped with a solid, semicircular fanlight crowned with a wood key. Windows throughout are six-overone. A one-story, hip-roofed wing is situated on each side elevation: The north wing displays a window on its façade, while the south wing's façade is pierced by a fully-glazed door flanked by multi-light sidelights. A brick chimney occupies the south gabled end of the main block, extending through the roof of the south wing. Ms. Morgan bought the property in December 1925 and first appears at this address in the 1926 city directory. She was the purchasing agent and business manager for the Greensboro City Schools. She sold the house in 1929.
Garage 208 South Chapman Street ca. 1945 Contributing Building A one-story, side-gabled, two-car garage with weatherboard siding stands in the rear yard.
Della and Victor Welker House 209 South Chapman Street ca. 1928 Contributing Building The two-story, three-bay, hip-roofed, Colonial Revival-style dwelling displays a stucco exterior.
Concrete steps bordered by flanking low paved walls ascend to a stoop forward of a paneled wood door framed in fluted classical pilasters. The surmounting hood has a flat crown and bellcast eaves and is supported by scrolled brackets on its underside. Windows are paired and single six-over-six; a segmental, slightly projecting blind arch tops the first floor façade windows; three diamond-shaped
projecting stucco tiles are centered over the windows. One story, hip-roofed wings flank the main block:
the north serves as a porte-cochere supported by rectangular, stucco posts and pierced with arched NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) openings, while the south wing is a porch with arched openings. A half-circle louvered vent pierces the front roof slope, while a stucco chimney occupies the exterior wall of the south elevation of the twostory block. The Welkers bought the property in April 1928 and first appear in the 1928 city directory at this address. He was an electrician. They sold the house in June 1929 to Rosa and Dan Field; he was a department manager for Cone Export and Commission Company. The Fields sold the house in 1941.
Garage 209 South Chapman Street ca. 1928 Contributing Building An original, one-story, side-gable weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.
Eva and Cameron Jenkins House 210 South Chapman Street ca. 1950 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival-style dwelling features an offcenter entrance topped with a semi-elliptical blind wood fanlight and fluted pilasters. Brick steps flanked with metal railings lead to a brick stoop forward of a paneled reveal framing a recessed paneled wood door. Windows are eight-over-eight and framed with soldier course lintels and header course sills.
Interior brick chimney rises from just forward of roof ridge. Three front-gabled dormers sheathed in vinyl contain six-over-six windows. Brick steps with metal railing on one side lead to an enclosed southeast (front) corner porch. Vinyl siding sheathes gable ends. A gabled ell is on the rear elevation.
The Jenkins bought the property in 1946, but do not appear at this address until the 1950 city directory.
He was the president-manager of Vanstory Clothing Company. In 1958, the property transferred to Eva Jenkins. She sold the house in 1973.
Garage 210 South Chapman Street ca. 1950 Contributing Building One-story, front-gabled garage with vinyl siding and new garage door stands southwest of the
ca. 1934 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled brick Colonial Revival cottage features a prominent front gable with a classical entrance composed of a flat-roofed portico with dentils supported by slender Tuscan columns sheltering a paneled wood door topped with a blind fanlight set in wood and framed by multi-light and paneled sidelights. Pilasters frame entrance. An oculus window is set in the tympanum of the front gable. Eight-over-eight windows with paneled skirts and soldier-course radiating flat arches pierce the façade. Two front-gabled dormers sheathed in vinyl are situated on the front roof slope; one retains its six-over-six sash, while the other displays a replacement one-over-one window. A shedroofed, south elevation wing with synthetic siding also displays eight-over-eight sash. The gable ends are partially sheathed in synthetic siding and display triangular louvered vents at their crowns. A brick chimney rises from the south end of the two-story block, while another brick chimney rises from the interior rear roof slope, just above a hip- roofed dormer. A gabled-roof ell extends from the rear. Ms.
Gardner, widow of Thomas Gardner, bought the property in October 1933 and first appears in the city directory in 1935. She sold the house in April 1936.
Garage 211 South Chapman Street ca. 1934 Contributing Building A one-story, side-gabled German-sided garage stands in the rear yard. It displays replacement paneled door, a replacement paneled and multi-light door, and a replacement single-bay garage door. The oneover-one window is also a replacement.
Margaret Tucker House 300 South Chapman Street ca. 1950 Contributing Building The one-story, four-bay, side-gabled-with-returns brick Minimal Traditional-style house displays a projecting, off-center, front-facing gable with returns and a crowning louvered vent. A front-gabled portico sheathed in synthetic siding and supported by square wood posts shelters a small brick porch with a wood balustrade and a paneled wood door. Windows are six-over-six and topped with soldiercourse brick lintels. A brick chimney occupies the south gable end, forward of the roof ridge. Margaret Tucker purchased the property in 1948. The 1949 city directory lists the house as “under construction.” In the 1950 city directory, the occupants are Eva and Charles Eichhorn; he worked as an accountant at NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Cone Print Works. In 1951, Margaret Tucker, a bank teller, is the occupant and remains owner and occupant into the 1960s. It is likely that she lived in the house after the 1960s, but city directories beyond that period are not available. She sold the house in 1990.
Sue M. and Robert F. Bost House 301 South Chapman Street ca. 1928 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, front-gabled, irregularly-massed, brick Craftsman bungalow features a wide, partial-width hip-roofed porch supported by thick, battered brick posts with concrete caps set on a concrete base atop squared brick plinths. The porch displays molded eave brackets, arched openings, and a low balustrade composed of square brick posts topped with a continuous flat concrete rail. Faux half-timbering set in stucco sheathes the front gable. The eaves of the gable and the principal roof display curved brackets and triangular knee braces. The off-center entrance is composed of a three-light Craftsman-style wood door with paneled and glazed sidelights and is topped with a row of soldiercourse brick. Multi-light windows are found throughout the dwelling. On the façade they are tripled fifteen-over-one with flanking nine-over-one sash--all topped with a row of soldier-course brick. The Bosts bought the property in March 1928 and first appear at this address in the 1929 city directory. He was the superintendent of McLeod Leather and Belting Company. The house transferred to Sue Bost in 1958 and she owned it until 1968.
Garage 301 South Chapman Street ca. 1970 Noncontributing Building A one-story, two-car garage with replacement garage doors and aluminum siding stands in the rear yard.
Lizzie and Robert Clapp House 302 South Chapman Street ca. 1940 Contributing Building The one-story, side-gabled, brick Minimal Traditional-style house with off-center and projecting frontfacing gable includes a smaller front-facing gable sheathed in hardboard. It contains the classicallyinspired entrance with an entablature with dentils and fluted pilasters framing a paneled wood door with upper lights. Windows are six-over-six and framed with soldier-course lintels and header-course sills. A NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) front-gabled dormer with a six-over-six window rests on the front roof slope. An exterior brick chimney rises on the north gable end through the roof of a one-story, side-gabled screened porch with square wooden supports and a hardboard gable end. The Clapps bought the property in May 1934, but do not appear in the city directory until 1941. He worked in real estate. By 1944, Lizzie Clapp was widowed and the house transferred to her. In 1960 Agnes Clayton received the house through Ms. Clapp’s will.
Garage 302 South Chapman Street ca. 1940 Contributing Building A one-story, single-bay, front-gabled weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.
Stella and J. Allen McNeill House 303 South Chapman Street ca. 1940 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, mouse-tooth brick Colonial Revival house features a projecting, front-gabled entrance portico with returns containing a recessed paneled and glazed door.
Eight- over-eight windows are found throughout and a pair of front-gable dormers rest on the front roof slope. A brick chimney is located on the north gable end and extends through the roof of a side- gabled, synthetic-sided screened porch. The McNeills bought the property from A. K. Moore Realty in September 1939 and first appear at this address in the 1940 city directory. He was debit manager for Home Security Life Insurance Company and she was a clerk for the railway mail service. The family owned the house until 1983.
Garage 303 South Chapman Street ca. 1940 Contributing Building A single-bay, front-gabled weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.