«NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES Sunset Hills Historic District Greensboro, Guilford County, GF8233, Listed 1/14/2013 Nomination by Jennifer ...»
The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled Minimal Traditional-style dwelling with asbestos shingle siding features an off-center front-facing gable pierced on it upper level by a deep-set arched window. A partial-width shed or flat-roofed, slightly projecting porch with prominent arched openings shelters a divided-light door. A stone chimney occupies the south gable end. Windows throughout are six-overone. A gabled ell extends from the rear. The Cluttses bought the property in August 1925 and first appear at this address in the 1926 city directory. He was a teacher at North Carolina College for Women.
The property transferred to Hazel Clutts in 1959. George Robert Clutts received the house by will in
1975. He sold it in 1984.
Garage 304 South Chapman Street ca. 1925 Contributing Building A one-story, gable-front garage with asbestos shingle siding stands in the rear yard.
Ferdinand H. Ogletree House 305 South Chapman Street ca. 1927 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, four-bay, side and front-gabled, Colonial Revival-style dwelling includes a front-gabled vaulted portico that shelters a paneled door topped with a blind wood fanlight. Other features include metal replacement columns, a brick stoop, six-over-six sash, sunporch with pilasters topped with volutes separating two bays of multi-light windows, exterior north end brick chimney, front gabled dormer on south elevation, aluminum siding. This house plan known as "The Collingwood," is depicted in 101 Classic Homes of the Twenties: Floor Plans and Photographs by Harris, McHenry & Baker Co. of Elmira, New York. The book is a 1999 unabridged re-publication of the 1925 Better Homes at Lower Cost. Mr. Ogletrees bought the property in December 1927. He was a draftsman for Oettinger Lumber Company, which was a wholesale and retail lumber manufacturer and dealer and a dealer in roofing material, flooring, and mill work.
The one-and-a-half-story, four-bay, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage displays a projecting front-gabled bay whose south eave extends across the façade's brick chimney with random granite blocks. An arched opening outlined with granite and culminating in a crowning granite keystone pierces the projecting bay that shelters a batten door with three lights set in a stepped arrangement. The granite elements embellish the brick arches that front the southeast corner porch that is set under a side-gabled porch; a multi-light, single-leaf door on the leads from the interior to the porch. Windows throughout are six-over-six, including the one in the front-gabled, aluminum- sided dormer on the north end of the front roof slope.
The Brunings first appear at this address in the 1936 city directory.
Garage 306 South Chapman Street ca. 1940 Contributing Building A large, side-gabled, two-bay garage with synthetic siding (?) and a small, side-gabled side wing stands in the rear yard.
Eda and Z. Stultz Boone House 307 South Chapman Street ca. 1926 Contributing Building The one-and-half-story, side-gabled, synthetic-sided Minimal Traditional house displays a prominent, off-center front-gabled porch that is supported by square posts and pilasters with caps and bases. It shelters the wood and glazed front door. An arched-head louvered vent is centered in front gable, synthetic siding, four-over-one windows, replacement two-over-two horizontal light windows in frontgabled dormers, one-story, south elevation, hip-roofed porch, large gabled ell rear addition. The Boones bought the property in October 1925 and first appear at this address in the 1927 city directory. They sold the house in 1937.
Garage 307 South Chapman Street ca. 1926 Contributing Building
Ione and Aldro Rogers House 308 South Chapman Street ca. 1935 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival cottage displays a prominent projecting portico supported by slender, paired Tuscan columns below a wide entablature. A vaulted soffit shelters weatherboard sheathing into which is set a paneled door with a multi-light transom topped with a shelf crowned by a swan’s neck and urn pediment. Plain, paired, square pilasters frame the weatherboard. Windows throughout display soldier-course lintels and are six-over-six with some in pairs. A brick chimney occupies the north gable end. The Rogers, the earliest known occupants, first appear at this address in the 1936 city directory. He was a “superintendent.” It is likely that Grace and Alex C. Holt, who owned the property from 1935 to 1946, built the house as rental property. Mr. Holt was an officer with Proximity Manufacturing.
Margaret and Oscar W. McNeely House309 South Chapman Street Contributing Building
The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, brick Period Cottage with side-gabled roof displays a prominent off-center front gable pierced on its upper level by an arched-head window with header-bond brick arched lintel and flat sill. A front-gabled, vinyl-sided, vaulted entrance portico is supported by square posts and pilasters. An metal balustrade flanks the concrete stairs and brick stoop forward of the wood and glazed door topped with a wood blind fanlight framed with header bond brick. Six-over-one replacement windows topped with soldier-course lintels are found throughout. A brick chimney on the gable end rises through roof ridge of the side-gabled north elevation open porch supported by wood square posts. A small side-gabled entry porch on the south elevation displays louvered lights and a glazed door. The McNeelys bought the property in February 1931 and first appear at this address in the 1931 city directory. He was a clerk for the railway mail service. The house remains in the McNeely family.
Garage 309 South Chapman Street Contributing Building
Nettie and John Hobbs House 310 South Chapman Street ca. 1930 Contributing Building The two-story, five-bay, hip-roofed, Colonial Revival-style brick house features a full-width, one-story, hip- roofed, arcaded porch with stuccoed arched spandrels embellished with diamond-shaped tiles and supported by columnettes. Both the upper balcony and lower porch are fronted with a metal balustrade.
The eaves of the porch roof and the principal roof are bracketed. Sidelights and a semi-elliptical fanlight frame a multi-light, single-leaf door at the entrance. A south elevation porch cochere rests on tall brick pillars topped with stuccoed spandrels. Windows throughout are six- over-six. The Hobbs bought the property in December 1929 and first appear at this address in the 1931 city directory. He had a grocery on East Gorrell Street.
Garage 310 South Chapman Street ca. 1930 Contributing Building A two-car, brick garage with multi-light doors and a hipped roof stands behind the house.
Irene and William Bost House 311 South Chapman Street Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Cape Cod house displays a centered classical entrance composed of fluted pilasters and a dentiled entablature framing the single-leaf door.
Windows are eight-over-eight replacement sash and the pair of front-gabled dormers is sheathed in vinyl and hold six-over-six windows. An interior chimney rises from the rear roof slope. A one-story, sidegabled wing extends from the south gable end. Triangular louvered vents pierce the upper side-gable ends. The Bosts bought the property in February 1941 and first appear at this address in the 1942 city directory. He worked as a collector for the Internal Revenue Service. The family owned the house until 1994.
ca. 1943 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, side-gabled, brick Period Cottage displays a prominent, projecting, front gable. The paneled wood door with upper lights pierces the front gable and is framed by brick pilasters and a crowning projecting brick fanlight with a plain tympanum. A small, six-over-six window pierces the upper front gable, while a full-sized, six-over-six window is positioned just to the south of the door.
A patio with a metal railing extends along the front of a portion of the front gable and extends to the north to front a side-gabled wing pierced by French doors. Forward of the wing, the patio is rounded at its front. A wide brick chimney with a smooth shoulder and dentiled corbelling is positioned between the front-facing gable and façade of the side-gabled block. A pair of front- gabled dormers feature sixover-six windows framed with paneled pilasters. On the south gable end, a side-gabled porch has been enclosed to create a sunroom illuminated by large one-over- one, fixed sash windows. Hardboard siding sheathes the dwelling's gable ends and upper level of the rear elevation. A pent roof tops the first floor of the rear elevation. Original brick walls and brick posts provide privacy to the rear yard. The Johnsons bought the property in 1943 and appear at this address in the 1943 city directory. He was an owner of Johnson, Cornatzer and Aulbert, a men’s clothing store. The Johnsons owned the house until 1955.
Garage 312 South Chapman Street ca. 1960 Noncontributing Building A one-story, front-gabled garage with synthetic siding and a replacement door stands in the rear yard. A louvered wheel vent is centered on its upper façade.
Doris N. and Benjamin C. Sutherland House 313 South Chapman Street ca. 1937 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick Cape Cod includes a classical entrance composed of fluted pilasters and a dentil cornice that frame the door. A metal balustrade flanks the brick steps and stoop.
Six-over-six and eight-over-eight windows are found throughout. A pair of front-gabled vinyl-sided dormers with six-over-six sash rest on the front roof slope. A brick chimney from the north elevation, while a large gabled ell with vinyl siding extends from the rear. The Sutherlands bought the property in September 1936 from Mr. Sutherland’s employer, Pomona Terra Cotta Company, which had owned the land since 1927. The Sutherlands likely built the house as they were the first to appear at this address, NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) which is included in the 1938 city directory. He was a salesman for Pomona Terra Cotta Company. They sold the house in 1953.
Marie and Herman Hevenor House 315 South Chapman Street ca. 1927 Noncontributing Building The one-story, side-gabled brick Period Cottage displays an off-center front gable. Stucco sheathes the gables. A recessed front porch was enclosed to create sun porch with awning or casement windows with transoms. A small eyebrow dormer rests on the front roof slope. An imposing brick chimney occupies the façade. Windows are replacement six-over-six and synthetic siding sheathes the eaves. A one-story, synthetic-sided, flat or hip-roofed wing occupies the north elevation. The Hevenors never owned the house but were the first to occupy it and appear at this address in the 1928 city directory. He was a civil engineer with the City of Greensboro. During the time the Hevenors lived here, the house was owned— and likely built by—William F. Freeman. He owned the property from 1926 to 1945.
Garage 315 South Chapman Street ca. 1927 Contributing Building A single-bay, front-gabled, weatherboard garage stands in the rear yard.
Charlotte and Robert Baker House 317 South Chapman Street ca. 1939 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, three-bay, brick Period Cottage displays an off-center front-facing gable pierced on its upper level with an arched head window. A partial-width, shed-roofed porch shelters a wood door. Windows throughout are replacement eight-over-eight and six-over-six topped with soldiercourse lintels and header-course sills. A north elevation exterior brick chimney is forward of roof ridge.
The dwelling’s red brick is interspersed with gray brick. Between 1990 and 2007, two front-gabled dormers were replaced with a vinyl-sided, shed-roofed dormer with six-over-six windows. The Bakers are the earliest known occupants and first appear at this address in the 1940 city directory. He was a salesman. The house was likely built by real estate professional T. D. Dupuy, who owned the property from April 1939 until 1965.
NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) Carport 317 South Chapman Street ca. 2000 Noncontributing Structure A modern open, front-gabled carport stands in rear yard.
Minnie H. and Joseph W. Warren House 319 South Chapman Street ca. 1926 Contributing Building The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled Colonial Revival-style house displays a full-width, shed-roofed porch topped with an eyebrow gable with returns and supported by single and paired Tuscan columns.
The Craftsman-style door is paneled and glazed. Concrete steps are flanked by metal railings. Windows are six-over-one. A pair of small louvered eyebrow dormers with wood keystones rest on the front roof slope. A brick chimney rises from the north elevation, while an addition extends from the rear elevation.
The Warrens bought the property in August 1926 and first appear at this address in the 1927 city directory. He was manager of the National Biscuit Company. They sold the house in 1945.
Garage 319 South Chapman Street ca. 1926 Contributing Building A one-story, front-gabled weatherboard garage is in the rear yard.
Rosa and Hubert Myers House 320 South Chapman Street ca. 1952 Contributing Building The one-and-a-half-story, four-bay, side-gabled brick Period Cottage has a projecting front gable. A paneled wood door framed by fluted pilasters and a crowning pediment atop a paneled entablature pierces the front gable, just north of a fixed window with diamond-shaped muntins. Concrete steps bordered by metal railings lead to a brick stoop forward of the entrance. A wide brick chimney occupies the façade, at the junction of the side gable block and projecting front gable. Windows are six-over-six NPS Form 10-900 OMB Approval No. 1024-0018 (8-86) and eight-over-eight with header-course sills. A single, front-gabled dormer is sheathed with synthetic siding and contains a six-over-six window. A shed roofed, vinyl- sheathed open porch supported by replacement metal columns occupies the north gable end. Wood louvered vents crown the dwelling's gable ends. A shed dormer sheathed in synthetic siding occupies the rear elevation. The Myers bought the property in 1950; this address first appears in the city directory in 1953 with the Myers as occupants.
He was a car salesman. They sold the house in 1973.